Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 03:22:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSisyphus
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sisyphus  (Read 584 times)
andreiichim
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2014, 09:44:00 PM »

About the game
Sisyphus is a game inspired by the legend of Sisyphus that had to push an immense rock up a hill, only to watch it roll back down, and to repeat this action forever.
Read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus.

How to play
  • Each big face of the rock has a letter on it. Pressing a corresponding letter pushes the rock up at that point.
  • You go faster if you press the letter that is at the bottom of the rock.
  • You can steer by pressing letters that are on the sides of the rock.
  • You can press only one letter at a time (I think I will allow two to keep more fingers busy).

Gameplay
  • The goal of the game is to get the rock at the top of the mountain as fast as possible.
  • The game tracks your best time and altitude.

TODO list
  • I would like to add more obstacles and dangers (traps, creatures?) that you have to avoid.
  • I would like to add something at the bottom that keeps going up to force you to move faster (I'm thinking lava).
  • Give the player a clear goal (reach the top or get new best height)
  • Improve the look (I have a nice lowpoly faceted style in mind).
  • For extra difficulty I could replace the letters with corresponding Greek leters
  • For extra difficulty I could also add different rock shapes that are harder to roll in a straight line.

Notes
This is an ALPHA version. I only spent a few hours on it.
It is short and I didn't put any though in the design of the level (I just made a ground plane and added some noise to it). So the difficuly doesn't make sense yet. It's not too hard but there's a section at the top that is hard to go over. Obviously a finished version of the game will have a nice flow that starts easy and gets harder.
For the design of the levels I think I have two options:
  • Fixed height (you have to reach the top as fast as possible)
  • Infinite climb (I can randomly add top sections and make the player go as far as he can, other things will end the game)
I'm not yet sure what I will pick. I guess I will try both and see what makes me more motivated to play the game.

I'd love to hear any feedback you might have.

Thanks,

Andrei
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 04:36:02 PM by andreiichim » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic