Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411654 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 12:39:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralUnanswered questions in the Mario series
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Unanswered questions in the Mario series  (Read 48850 times)
Seth
« Reply #180 on: February 04, 2010, 12:07:32 PM »

http://themushroomkingdom.net/smb2_ddp.shtml
TheDustin
« Reply #181 on: February 04, 2010, 06:46:06 PM »

I replayed Super Mario World again with this thread in mind and came up with a few questions:

Why does hitting an enemy with a fireball conjure up a coin? Why is this inconsistent with the other titles?

Why does Mario gain the benefits of items when Yoshi eats them? Do they have a symbiotic relationship or something?

Why does Mario break the fourth wall by flashing the "V" sign at the screen after completing a level?
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 04, 2010, 09:25:36 PM »

I replayed Super Mario World again with this thread in mind and came up with a few questions:

Why does hitting an enemy with a fireball conjure up a coin? Why is this inconsistent with the other titles?
It's consistent with all the later games.

On this note, what about Mario's respiratory system causes gold coins to replenish his air supply when underwater?

laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: February 05, 2010, 12:07:36 AM »

Why does Mario gain the benefits of items when Yoshi eats them? Do they have a symbiotic relationship or something?

Why does Mario break the fourth wall by flashing the "V" sign at the screen after completing a level?

hmm.. I think the coins come from some side-effect of the enemy vaporizing. If you go with the assumption that all the enemies Mario kills are magically conjured and not real life, perhaps some kind of gold is required for the alchemy that creates them. When fire is added to the mix, it brings the gold back out.

Maybe Yoshis are naturally immune to power-up effects, but instead excrete the chemicals out their pores. Therefore, Mario is bathed in the power-up chemical just the same.

If Mario 3 was just a stage show, then maybe Mario is still just in the habit of putting on a performance. Or maybe all the games are just a show...
My Word!
Lime
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 05, 2010, 05:24:17 AM »

hmm.. I think the coins come from some side-effect of the enemy vaporizing. If you go with the assumption that all the enemies Mario kills are magically conjured and not real life, perhaps some kind of gold is required for the alchemy that creates them. When fire is added to the mix, it brings the gold back out.

Shocked Wow, that's a great explanation.

That's how the game goes,
That's how the lime rolls.
inkBot
Level 2

Bumpity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: February 05, 2010, 07:22:52 AM »

Wait... a this crazy stuff starts to make sense. The Mario stories actually take place in the D&D 3.5 system!

Mario is actually a Sorcerer/Fighter fighting against a red dragon, Bowser. (Bowser isn't actually red, but he spits fire so he's a red dragon)

He uses Fireball to throw fireballs, Alter Self to change his appearance and False Life to increase his health. The mushrooms, flowers, stars and coins are merely material components. The cap that let's him turn into Metal Mario is actually a magic helm with a limited Iron Body enchantment.

The pipes of the mushroom kingdom actually contain permanent Dimension Door spells, allowing for fast travel. Bowser has infested these with living plants to hinder Marios movements.

The koopas under Bowsers control are in fact Kobolds, too afraid to disobey. Those who do Bowser Polymorphs into living mushrooms, hence Goombas.

"If there's two ways to interpret something and one is stupid, pick the other way."
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: February 05, 2010, 03:18:49 PM »

Saw this in the random humor thread, and it begs the question: Why would Mario do such a thing?

Okay, I know I'm going to ruin the humor of the image with this, but I started thinking about it and I have an answer to my own question. Remember what happens to Yoshi in Mario Sunshine when he hits water? He explodes into bubbles and disappears. It looks like a gruesome and bizarre death at first, but I think it's actually a highly advanced survival mechanism that Yoshis have evolved to have after millions of years in existence. When faced with certain death, Yoshis have the (possibly involuntary) reaction of dispersing their matter into a semi-conscious mist. They then float unharmed through the atmosphere back to safety and reform as an egg to recuperate. They probably retain most of their memory as well, which would explain why certain Yoshis pop out of eggs completely ready and aware, without any child-like wonder. Mario most likely has an agreement with Yoshi, that sometimes he's going to just let him fall for the good of the mission, but they'll meet up later when he finds the egg.

Wizard
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:07:02 PM by shoo » Logged
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: February 08, 2010, 05:01:01 AM »

...You didn't get it. I was talking about the movie's Goomba.

Ah. Have you not seen it? "King Koopa" clearly addresses one of them as a goomba when it comes out of the de-evolution thingamajig. Something like... "Go forth goomba, be proud!", and the goomba replies, "goombah!"
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 08, 2010, 06:19:51 AM »

When faced with certain death, Yoshis have the (possibly involuntary) reaction of dispersing their matter into a semi-conscious mist.
Sort of like the vampires in Baldur's Gate II then?

Calabi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 08, 2010, 08:52:04 AM »

Or sea sponges.
undertech
« Reply #190 on: February 09, 2010, 05:22:45 AM »

Since Mario is supposedly Italian, does this mean that the Mushroom Kingdom is in fact a territory of Earth somewhere? Is the Mushroom Kingdom just a region of Italy? Is the whole thing a government project to develop super-weapons? Then, is releasing worldwide video games depicting this stuff just a really clever way to ensure ignorance?
The axis is at it again, the devils! Where does Germany fit into this?
sauyadav
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 09, 2010, 06:06:06 AM »

When faced with certain death, Yoshis have the (possibly involuntary) reaction of dispersing their matter into a semi-conscious mist.
Sort of like the vampires in Baldur's Gate II then?

like Dracula, so Yoshis are actually vampires Evil that give a new dimension to Mario galaxy  Undecided
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: May 28, 2010, 01:49:22 PM »

Are the stars in mario games alive? they have eyes, and kind of move a little- but it seems like the lumas are a higher, more evolved lifeform of the same type. It's like the Pluto/Goofy paradox...
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 28, 2010, 02:31:18 PM »

Everything is alive in Mario games, even clouds and volcanos.
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: May 28, 2010, 02:38:50 PM »

creepy.
BoxedLunch
« Reply #195 on: May 28, 2010, 02:43:40 PM »

it's because the controllers inject you with happy drugs when you start.  Crazy
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 28, 2010, 02:54:07 PM »

Since Mario is supposedly Italian, does this mean that the Mushroom Kingdom is in fact a territory of Earth somewhere? Is the Mushroom Kingdom just a region of Italy? Is the whole thing a government project to develop super-weapons? Then, is releasing worldwide video games depicting this stuff just a really clever way to ensure ignorance?
The axis is at it again, the devils! Where does Germany fit into this?

Mario live in a parralel world. He had jump from mushroom kingdom to brooklyn (yoshi island > donkey kong) then goes back to mushroom kingdom (no game but before SMB, possibly real world invasion in mario bros)

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 28, 2010, 03:01:37 PM »

Mario traverses between the Mushroom Kingdom and the real world through pipes through pipes. At least that's kinda what's implied at the beginning of Super Mario 64.

Also, he's Italian-American, not Italian.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 28, 2010, 03:52:17 PM »

Mario is just an average Italian-American Brooklyn resident trying to make a meager living as a simple plumber, as that's the only skill he really has, but has issues with keeping up with competition in his area. Times have been rough economically and emotionally, as his brother, Luigi, became the owner of a successful chain of restaurants, preffering to cut all ties with Mario instead of dealing with his brother being a failure, and his girlfriend, who he liked to call Peach, left him because he couldn't give her the life he promised, and eventually hooked up with a millionaire owner of a large, powerful corporation. So he took to experimenting with some mushrooms a stoner buddy of his gave him, to try and get away from it all, as even booze wasn't working anymore.

The Mario games, including the Donkey Kong arcade game, have all been trips of Mario as he consumes hallucinogic mushrooms to not have to deal with his crappy life. In them, Luigi is more of a sidekick, living mostly in his shadow, Peach is a princess that still loves him, and the corporation owner is now Bowser, a huge turtle dragon monster, who kidnaps her to force her into being his wife. He used to see the man as a gorilla, but eventually it seems his mind didn't think that was evil enough.

Mario continuously uses mushrooms to escape his life and entertain increasingly bizarre fantasies in which he saves his beloved Peach from the claws of Bowser, his brother Luigi is helpful to him but never manages to steal his spotlight, where he constantly finds gold coins and ammasses a fortune, where despite his plump nature he's still highly and even superhumanly athletic, and he rides a dinosaur into battle (his dad never gave him that poney).

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: May 28, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »

Melly...you might be a genius.  WTF

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic