Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411646 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 08:10:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeYour biggest obstacle to create a game?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: Your biggest obstacle to create a game?  (Read 79247 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2009, 10:48:33 PM »

Plato or Nietzsche and the average human... is greater than the gap between that chimpanzee and the average human. The realm of the real spirit, the true artist, the saint, the philosopher, is rarely achieved.

I'm not sure that's true. I think we tend to overestimate the differences between individual humans because we spend so much time with them. But from the standpoint of another species, differences within that species are smaller than they appear from the inside. There's that quote that Dr. Manhattan said in Watchman, something like the world's smartest man is no more a rival to him than the world's smartest termite.

sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2009, 11:18:52 PM »

The internet.

Sad
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2009, 11:42:00 PM »

INSPIRATION

I almost never get good game ideas.

Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2009, 11:58:22 PM »

Running out of steam. Everything's bright and rosy until the first hurdle which sucks up far more time than it really should, and enthusiasm dies horribly after that.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2009, 09:23:47 AM »

INSPIRATION

I almost never get good game ideas.
I have almost too many good ideas for games but I SERIOUSLY lack inspiration.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2009, 10:29:53 AM »

I think the word you're looking for is perspiration. Smiley

brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2009, 11:23:42 AM »

I'm hijacking the thread!  The biggest things that have helped me make progress in making a game recently are:

1) not having an internet connection at home
2) long commutes on the train

You could take them as negatives, but they've lead to a lot more time being spent writing code and debugging.
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2009, 11:29:13 AM »

My biggest obstacle is starting to make the main engine before finally getting to make finished content like levels.
siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2009, 02:28:40 PM »

The fact that I can't find a fucking graphician. Fuck.
genericuser
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2009, 02:42:55 PM »

My biggest obstacle is that I can't seem to complete games; I just create lots of small gameplay prototype thingies.

The competitions on here do help, though.
AaronAardvark
Level 1

Formerly RazputinOleander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2009, 03:08:59 PM »

Increasingly Tigsource is becoming my biggest obstacle to creating a game.
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2009, 03:20:59 PM »

Tig compos sure help. It seems arbitrary, but having some dude say "ok we're all going to make cockpit games for the next month. go!", really helps eliminate some blockage.

My main block being: ruminating over ideas and design on paper forever and getting bored, or getting a new idea, before committing to write any lines of code.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2009, 03:36:05 PM »

Being a lazy bastard.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2009, 03:39:51 PM »

My biggest obstacle is starting to make the main engine before finally getting to make finished content like levels.

I used to have this problem, I wanted to make these mega engines before actually working on any games and would lose interest every time.  When I started my C# engine when XNA came out, I instead took an incremental approach and only worked on features I knew I needed right away while working on a small game or prototype.  You can still have features designed or in mind this way.  With every project I've added on to it and while you end up tweaking or changing infrastructure as you converge on the best general approach, you stay motivated since you always have visual results to show for your work.  While working on my cockpit compo entry these last 2 weeks I've added a nice amount of functionality to my codebase.

Anyway, as for me I tend to slow down once the core gameplay and the majority of the art is done.  That final 10-20% of the project.  What I've done recently is when I feel I've reached that point I make a to-do list with very specific tasks and prioritize them.  It helps me stay focused and not waste time on the intarwebs.  It also gives you a clear view of the finish line, which is motivatation in and of itself.

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2009, 04:09:58 PM »

For me, I'll work away at something until I pass some significant challenge, and create a little bit that I'm proud of, like a nicely-working engine or some logic-heavy enemy or game mechanic.  Then I'll play around with it for a while and bask in the feeling of accomplishment and lose the steam necessary to tackle the next big challenge, or the next set of tedious little steps.

That, and graphics.  Things like tilesets always stump me for way too long.  Not the act of making them so much as figuring out how to chop them up in such a way that I can get a lot of variety without too much trouble when making levels.

And other graphics, too.  I just can't wrap my head around graphics...
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2009, 05:41:55 PM »

This.

I can't stand the grunt work at the start, but I can fly along nicely once I am actually producing content. Come to think of it... Joakim-- aren't you an MMF2 user as well? We should share engines so we can both do less of that and more of game content and art. Smiley I don't know how many custom platform engines I have made in MMF2, but it is x-1 too many.

Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2009, 06:01:26 PM »

A few things hold me back, the main one is lack of skill, and then being too lazy to acquire that skill.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2009, 06:23:37 PM »

I love creating engines too much and I get bored when it comes to creating the content Shrug

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2009, 06:38:34 PM »

I've the opposite problem, I hate making engines but love making content.

konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2009, 03:32:22 AM »

This.

I can't stand the grunt work at the start, but I can fly along nicely once I am actually producing content. Come to think of it... Joakim-- aren't you an MMF2 user as well? We should share engines so we can both do less of that and more of game content and art. Smiley I don't know how many custom platform engines I have made in MMF2, but it is x-1 too many.

Construct now...  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic