Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 04:42:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsGame Maker Tuts
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24
Print
Author Topic: Game Maker Tuts  (Read 356270 times)
pgil
« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2009, 05:44:15 AM »

For small text I'd use a bitmap font.  dafont.com has a bunch of them in its pixel/bitmap section. It shouldn't antialias the font if you import it at the original size.
PlayMeTape
« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2009, 12:53:33 PM »

Hmmm, so I took your advice and went out and got a beautiful bitmap font. But it still doesn't seem to work. But now that I'm reading your post again, I see that you told me to import it in it's native size. Is there any special way of doing this? Because I just used it's correct size when implementing it. Here's how it looks:

Commodore64  Kiss
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2009, 06:19:03 PM »

I'm also having the same problem with bitmap fonts in game maker.  It seems there's no way to stop it from anti aliasing them.  (Yet, 8pt Verdana is pixel perfect :I)  I guess using a sprite font is the only way.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2009, 05:36:51 PM »

First, how do I get the engine to recheck keys when I'm starting a new room. Because as it is right now it takes a while before it actually reacts to keys that are being held in between rooms.

I'm wondering this too. Sad
ChevyRay
« Reply #164 on: August 22, 2009, 07:38:58 PM »

First, how do I get the engine to recheck keys when I'm starting a new room. Because as it is right now it takes a while before it actually reacts to keys that are being held in between rooms.

I'm wondering this too. Sad

If you use keyboard_check_direct in place of keyboard_check in your code, it will fix this. But keep in mind that the _direct function will register key-presses when your game is out of focus as well.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #165 on: August 22, 2009, 07:57:10 PM »

If you use keyboard_check_direct in place of keyboard_check in your code, it will fix this. But keep in mind that the _direct function will register key-presses when your game is out of focus as well.

Awesome, it works! Thank you, Chevy! Kiss
pgil
« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2009, 05:33:06 AM »

I'm also having the same problem with bitmap fonts in game maker.  It seems there's no way to stop it from anti aliasing them.  (Yet, 8pt Verdana is pixel perfect :I)  I guess using a sprite font is the only way.

Do you have Clear-type or some other kind of font smoothing enabled? Check Display Properties > Appearance > Effects. Game maker converts the font to a bitmap when you import it, so whatever kind of antialiasing Windows uses will show up on your font.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 25, 2009, 06:53:06 PM »

Do you have Clear-type or some other kind of font smoothing enabled? Check Display Properties > Appearance > Effects. Game maker converts the font to a bitmap when you import it, so whatever kind of antialiasing Windows uses will show up on your font.

Nnnnnope.  I turn off all the font antialiasing stuff in windows because I love the clarity of pixels!
pixeltao
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: August 26, 2009, 05:13:50 PM »

Wow! It worked perfectly for me. Thanks a lot! Hand Thumbs Up Right

MaloEspada
« Reply #169 on: August 30, 2009, 07:19:11 AM »

So I've got a pretty good question here.

Are you guys familiar with the Castlevania / Metroid / Noitu Love 2 / Contra / Metal Slug / Other games boss system where the parts of the bosses' body move independently?

For example, in Castlevania games there's always that enemy composed of different parts that move individualy.
E.g.:

and

This allows for easier animations and so on.
Now...
I have no ideas about how to program this. I know's it's been done by Konjak in MMF2 and by DarkFalzX in Game Maker, but it seems to be a very complicated procedement.

Anyone willing to share a tutorial or something?

btw, image credits go to TSR.
KittenEater
Level 1

NYEEEAAUUUGH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: August 30, 2009, 08:53:49 AM »

I just remembered... there's a problem I've been having with GM, and I don't know what to do about it. It's really hard to describe, so here's a picture I drew to help.

So if you want to make the game look good and work right, how would you make the character enter a room in different places depending on which door you came from? Is it even possible to do that in Game Maker (lite, I don't have pro yet) , or do I need to wait for the next version or something?

EEEEEEEGH
MaloEspada
« Reply #171 on: August 30, 2009, 09:00:43 AM »

@KittenEater
you need something like this:

On the door object, for example, if the player press keyboard key up:

room_goto(rm)
player.x=X
player.y=Y

and on the exact place where the door object is placed on the room, ctrl+right mouse click and go into creation code and put:

X=768
Y=256
rm=room3

The code above is just an example; the X and Y is where the player appears; rm is the room, in this case room3.

Also, make the player object persistant!

I hope this isnt confusing enough.
KittenEater
Level 1

NYEEEAAUUUGH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: August 30, 2009, 09:37:09 AM »

It was confusing for a little bit, but it works beautifully now. Thank you so much, that had been bothering me for a long time.  Tears of Joy

EEEEEEEGH
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: September 05, 2009, 08:51:38 PM »

Since all my issues are Game Maker-related, this is a good place:

I'm trying to save object placement data in an external file and I can't think of a good way to go about it. Basically, I have a while loop that checks each tile and fills in tiles that aren't "empty" with "outside of dungeon" tiles, and then frames the "empty" tiles with walls. I want to record this information in an .ini and then hash it or something. I know I just need to write another while loop and have it write to the file for each tile, but I don't know what that file needs to look like. There are quite a lot of tiles for a dungeon floor. Here is the loop:

Code:
//add tiles around caves
x = 0
y = 0
while y < room_height
    {
    while x < room_width
        {
        if !position_meeting(x,y,empty)
            {
            tile_add(tiles,0,0,16,16,x,y,2000)
            if position_meeting(x + 16,y,empty) || position_meeting(x-16,y,empty)
|| position_meeting(x,y+16,empty) || position_meeting(x,y-16,empty)
                {
                instance_create(x,y,wall)
                }
            }
        x += grid
        }
    x = 0
    y += grid
    }

Any help would be appreciated. It is difficult to find information about this kind of thing; most external files seem to store game settings as variables.

|
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 06, 2009, 02:15:24 AM »

stuff stuff stuff

This is kind of a scatterbrained post but here goes.

2d bone animation is what you want to look into.  I'm not sure what you'll find though.  I've been trying to think of a easy to use system myself, and although I havent implemented anything yet, this is what I'm thinking.

1.  There's an object "oBone" that contains all the data for this particular bone.  Sprite, angle, rotation, it's position, and it's attached position.  The attached position would  be where it sticks to it's parent bone.  Then write a bunch of scripts like bone_create(), bone_rotate(), bone_set_sprite(), etc etc to control them.

2.  A big enemy that uses bones, would in fact be an "oEnemy" still, but instead of just being a traditional sprite, it has a bunch of oBones in it to represent it.  So on it's creation event, it can be something like:
bone_base = bone_create(arguments here that say where it should be, and attach it to this object)
bone_arm1 = bone_create(arguments here that say attach it to the base_bone at a certain position)
bone_arm2 = bone_create(maybe you get the idea now)

3.  Then in step events, use the scripts you wrote to animate stuff, or something.

This is a rough, scrambled idea that I have that I haven't had time to play around with yet, but maybe I'm sort of on the right track.  There is going to be some funky math to always make sure that a bone is attached to it's parent, and rotating in the right way, and whatever else, but I think once you get that down it should be pretty easy.

I had a working model in MMF2 of this, but it was such a pain to set up every time, I honestly don't know how konjak does his stuff.
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: September 06, 2009, 05:09:02 AM »

anyone have some gamepad tutorial?

i've been messing around with gamepad coding, but couldn't really make it work properly.

ChevyRay
« Reply #176 on: September 06, 2009, 06:14:28 AM »

but couldn't really make it work properly.

As in?

Show your code, and I'll tell you exactly where you went wrong. Smiley
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: September 07, 2009, 02:48:53 AM »

well, as a matter of fact, i solved my issues:

Code:
//left
if keyboard_check(vk_left)||joystick_direction(1)=100
  if place_free(x-4,y)
  {
    moving=1;
    dir=180;
    x-=4;
  }

//right
if keyboard_check(vk_right)||joystick_direction(1)=102
  if place_free(x+4,y)
  {
   moving=1;
   dir=0;
    x+=4;
  }

//jump
if keyboard_check(vk_up)||joystick_direction(1)=104
  if !place_free(x,y+1)
  {
    vspeed=-9;
    jumping=1;
  }

it works now. i didn't have those old gm files with gamepad stuff, so i've sat down, made it again and done it ok this time.

Cokho
Level 3

I love anyone who read this !

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 10, 2009, 12:14:27 PM »

Hi  Smiley
I'm doing a beat'em'all on GM and I need some help for the script!

So my character has a different animation for each of his movement BUT when he doesn't move he disapeard. So I've put everything in Draw Event like this:
Code:
if (keyboard_check(vk_right)*!(sprite_index == sRunRight))
{
sprite_index = sRunRight
Attackspr = 1
directionspr = 0
}

if (keyboard_check(vk_left)*!(sprite_index == sRunLeft))
{
sprite_index = sRunLeft
Attackspr = 0
directionspr= 1
}

if (keyboard_check(vk_nokey)*!(sprite_index == sPlayerStand))
{
sprite_index = sPlayerStand
}

if (keyboard_check(vk_right))
{
       draw_sprite(sprite_index, -1,x,y)

}
if (keyboard_check(vk_left))
{

}

if (keyboard_check(vk_nokey) )
{
}
So here we are:

Attackspr: This is the way I can make two different attack depending on what side my character is (he got a left attack, and a right one)

Directionspr: this was for the attack too, because I thought that I would'nt have to press right each time I have to do the Right attack sprite (undersood?)

So nothing is working  Cry
My Character disapear each time I let a key pressed, and he doesn't remember what side he was T_T

Pardon my poor english T_T
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: September 10, 2009, 08:17:07 PM »

what is *! I've never seen that before.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic