Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 02:24:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMY WORD TIGERS, CURLY BRACE!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: MY WORD TIGERS, CURLY BRACE!  (Read 18640 times)
The-Imp
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2009, 03:34:16 PM »

faggots
Why thank you good sir.
 Grin
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2009, 04:29:59 PM »

Ah, now I see what you are talking about. That is not fatness, that's the curve of the back. If you look closely at the old cave story sprites you see that the humanoid characters stand very "legs back belly forward":

Their backs are bent, it's not that teir bellies are fat. It's the same thing in the new sprite, just that it shows a bit clearer.

The problem is though her arm is in the way. Creating an illusion of fat, I think if we say a walk animation it might be different.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2009, 04:31:46 PM »

I've actually been annoyed by all the Cave Story sprites, old and new. It's like the head is facing you (those are eyes, right?), but you walk sideways, so it looks like you don't look where you're going, and the whole body bending thing makes it look like they're facing you even while they move...

I guess the characters in Cave Story just MCHammer Slide everywhere they go.
shig
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2009, 04:37:47 PM »

CAVE STORY JUST BECAME INCREDIBLY AWESOME

...r
The-Imp
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2009, 04:41:54 PM »

I've actually been annoyed by all the Cave Story sprites, old and new. It's like the head is facing you (those are eyes, right?), but you walk sideways, so it looks like you don't look where you're going, and the whole body bending thing makes it look like they're facing you even while they move...

Hehehe, that made my day.

And I like the old ones, but they all look like their spines are crazy, and bent forward.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2009, 04:51:06 PM »

The heads-facing-camera thing is true in a huge number of platformers, though maybe not too as much of an extent. I, like a few other people, originally thought the Quote sprite was facing sideways, and the green bit at the front is his nose, and one of his eyes looks like sideburns because it's attached to a very similar colour bit at the top that must be hair. I like the new sprites.

Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2009, 04:53:22 PM »

The heads-facing-camera thing is true in a huge number of platformers, though maybe not too as much of an extent. I, like a few other people, originally thought the Quote sprite was facing sideways, and the green bit at the front is his nose, and one of his eyes looks like sideburns because it's attached to a very similar colour bit at the top that must be hair. I like the new sprites.

I've seen it... Now I can't unsee it.  Cry

Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2009, 04:57:28 PM »

ive.. ive always wanted to see it now i understand i can see it both ways now though!

thank you for the description i always wondered how people saw it as a side view
The-Imp
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2009, 05:05:01 PM »

I just realized it, but now I can imagine a happy sitcom family staring at a screen like someone's there...  Crazy

Well, I'll always think they're looking to the side.
godsavant
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2009, 05:43:08 PM »

I think this sums up the debate rather nicely:
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2009, 05:46:59 PM »

OMG I always thought he had a green clown nose lol Durr...?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2009, 12:49:53 AM »

I thought so too! I thought he had a green nose and a blue sideburn, and I though it was supposed to be some kind of ripp-off of mario. This, in combination with the uglyness of the one layer scrolling background and the frustration of dying by one hit of the spikes in the first cave made me delete the game the first time I downloaded it. But then I gave it another shot, and learned to love it.

However, when you see the other characters you realize that they are facing the camera, and we must assume that it's the same thing for Quote.

I don't think it's that horrible actually, the sprites in cave story seems to me more like symbols to show you the where the characters are than actual pictures showing their appearances.

PaleFox
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2009, 08:09:13 AM »

I also always though he was looking straight ahead, it always made me wonder why he looked like that. But this thread is the first time someone has told me otherwise, and... I'm not sure I believe them. In fact, I'm not sure I want to believe them. It just.. can't be true!

...I can't unsee it! Cry
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2009, 09:10:06 AM »

Even with effort I can't see it as looking to the side. He seems like having some variant of Megaman anatomy.

Super-Dot
Level 1

hup hup

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2009, 03:18:13 AM »

I think this sums up the debate rather nicely:

That sums up the debate perfectly! I also thought he was the one on the right, and I still can't see him as the one on the left. I only realized that he was the one on the left when I saw his updated sprite.

If Quote is constantly facing the camera, does that mean that Cave Story is a second-person shooter? Serious question.

Kelsey Higham, student at SJSU
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2009, 03:49:32 AM »

This is amazing. All these people going through the game thinking Quote was side on. Poor folks.

I recall a conversation with my Bro when we'd just discovered Cave Story, which went through the motions of "this is looking like something special", "it plays really nicely", "so cute" etc, until my Bro posed a question: "Why did this Pixel guy make the main character so ugly?" Took some time discussing perspective.
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2009, 05:21:35 AM »

When I first played Cave Story I thought Quote was a girl. Ah, the wonders of low resolution pixel art!

I actually drew a picture of the female Quote-like character I first imagined him to be a while ago. My friend should have it... anybody want me to try to get it and post it?
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2009, 05:24:43 AM »

Yeah!

But honestly, Quote is a guy. I think.

Do they ever say "he" or "him" in the game?

Just joking :D

Despite some missunderstandings I hope we all are agreed on that he is facing the camera. All other characters are, why shouldn't he?
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2009, 05:33:28 AM »

Hmm... Well, yes, I assumed Quote to be a guy. Though, come to think of it, there's no good reason why.

Whaddya know!
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2009, 06:50:42 AM »

Quote's an "it". They're robots! They have no genders, you loony technophiles!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic