Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411587 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 07:58:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralLooking for conversation-heavy, open-ended RPGs
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for conversation-heavy, open-ended RPGs  (Read 4759 times)
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 05:20:15 PM »

Back on the TC's actual topic, you could try TES3 Morrowind: though that might be more combat than you want, it's very open and immersive and they put a LOT of information (books, dialog, etc) into the game as well. Very open to experimentation too, as you can basically do anything you're able to get away with.
And very open to modding, too

(I just finished installing 1Gb of mods, but most were graphic mods)
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 08:18:23 AM »

Well, he did specify conversation-heavy. And if there's one area where Morrowind falls apart, it's in the conversation arena. Hundreds of characters share from a common pool of like 5 dialog trees. It's awful. There is even a mod in progress for it called the "Less Generic NPC Project."

mesotes
Level 0

<3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 11:20:15 AM »

Maybe there are some rogue-likes that are more text-heavier and have less combat?
They arent the prettiest, but as long as there is some kind of minimalistic tileset it should be enough Smiley Im currently looking through these games myself.. but I havent found a kind of archive yet, to get the game I want..
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 01:33:03 PM »

Planescape: Torment allows to skip nearly all combat in it, save for around 5 or so mandatory ones. Just boost your Wisdom, Charisma and Intelligence and let the rest of your party deal with any annoying combat (one of which, if you get him, might make most of it a walk in the park). It's the weakest point of an excellent game, but if you try hard enough and run a lot it won't bog down the experience. And like it's been said, it's hard to find a game with plot and characters as good.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
J.G. Martins
Level 2

AKA anvilfolk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2009, 03:27:05 PM »

Maybe there are some rogue-likes that are more text-heavier and have less combat?
They arent the prettiest, but as long as there is some kind of minimalistic tileset it should be enough Smiley Im currently looking through these games myself.. but I havent found a kind of archive yet, to get the game I want..

There is Legerdemain, but I do believe there is no going past combat in roguelikes Smiley

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" cried the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But iron, cold iron, is the master of them all."
--- Rudyard Kipling
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009, 09:11:44 PM »

I give you a mainly text based MMO RPG from the past's future BattleMaster. I've only begun an account, but, after I read the Social Contract, I knew I was going to have to play it enough to be able to front page it.

Tiger
(|^_^|)

The BattleMaster Social Contract
Version 1.5 from March 22, 2006
Management Summary
When playing, you agree to these terms:

* One account per person. No account sharing or giving away.
    * Play fairly
    * Do not insult or harrass other players

Violations of these rules can lead to temporary or permanent account locks.

Preamble
People from all over the world are participating in this game and its community. Limited communication and cultural differences require us to agree on a common etiquette and rules of behaviour.
That is what this social contract does. It is an agreement between you and all other players about proper behaviour.
You will have to agree to this contract in order to play the game. You will also have to agree to it again every time the contract changes. That way, you can be sure that everyone else playing with you has also accepted these rules.

§1 Accounts
Your account in the game is yours and yours alone. You may not share it with someone else nor give it to anyone, not even temporarily.
You may only have one account at any time. You can, even though we discourage it, delete your account and start a new one. You are not allowed to have more than one active account at any time for any reason.
Official developers and beta testers can have more than one account, but may only use one account for actual playing. Additional accounts are for testing purposes only.

§2 Fair Play
You can not win BattleMaster. Therefore, playing together is more important to us than playing against each other. We expect you to play the game as you would play a board game with good friends, and to value fair play above any victory or power.

Absolutely no verbal attacks, insults or harrassment of other players.
Note that during roleplays, characters can be played as aggressive, as long as it is clear and obvious that the opposite character is the target, not the player behind him.
Do err on the side of caution, especially if dealing with players whose social and cultural background is unknown to you.
Do not publicly accuse anyone of cheating, abuses or violations of this contract without proof or evidence.

Be especially friendly to newcomers and always give them the benefit of doubt.

§3 Personal Information
The personal information you enter will be kept on the game server and not given to any third parties. If you choose to make your information public, it will be published on this site.
You agree to not give the personal information of other players to any third parties.

§4 Violations
We reserve the right to remove players who violate this contract from the game without warning. We use that option rarely, but it has been used.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
acidBatterie
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 09:28:11 PM »

you BUCKFUTTERS!! have you forgot of planescape: torm....oh, i c now. nvm.
carry on gentlemen  Gentleman
GreatFox
Level 0

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 10:56:26 PM »

Arx Fatalis, Gothic 1&2.

May I suggest searching GOG.com?
TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 11:07:57 PM »

Neverwinter Nights is great for old comps, and if it is too combat intensive for you, you can always find mods for it that aren't.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 08:28:24 AM »

Planescape: Torment allows to skip nearly all combat in it, save for around 5 or so mandatory ones. Just boost your Wisdom, Charisma and Intelligence and let the rest of your party deal with any annoying combat (one of which, if you get him, might make most of it a walk in the park). It's the weakest point of an excellent game, but if you try hard enough and run a lot it won't bog down the experience. And like it's been said, it's hard to find a game with plot and characters as good.

Yeah. I still hate Baator. Boring and insipid as shit. The skull pillar saved it.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2009, 09:44:56 AM »

Planescape: Torment allows to skip nearly all combat in it, save for around 5 or so mandatory ones.
This.

You can avoid nearly all combat in the game, even including some of the key battles. I strongly recommend this. P:T's combat is lousy, but you can easily limit it to a total of maybe 15 minutes of game time (and it's really easy).

P:T's story is so much better than that of any other game I've ever played (it's almost an insult to compare it to the Fallout series, which is also great). Especially if you don't like combat, you owe it to yourself to play this game.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic