Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411585 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 06:13:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralI found this Cave Story screed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: I found this Cave Story screed.  (Read 9708 times)
googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2009, 07:48:38 AM »

I didn't mean the story was unenjoyable or that I didn't derive any enjoyment from the story within the context of the game- I don't think genuine emotional commitment is an inherent part of enjoyment, although it can be. Any sense of victory I get from beating the final boss isn't going to be because I find it a compelling narrative twist, but because I beat the final boss of this game. Any sense of sadness I get from seeing the player character die isn't going to be because I'm going to genuinely miss the character, but because I know it means I'm going to have to replay part of the game. These potential emotions are not on the same level.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2009, 07:56:19 AM »

Understandable to some degree, but I think not caring at all about, say, Curly when she is sick and lying in the bed can't be just as satisfying as caring about it. If it emotionally makes no difference to you whether Curly drowns and dies or whether she survives to the end to fight with you, and if the difference is only in whether you can see the final area of the game or not, you are probably experiencing the full impact of the game less than if it does matter.

So I agree that you can enjoy a story without caring about the characters, but I do think that it makes the time you spend on a story more worthwhile (not even necessarily more enjoyable, but at least more valuable), and that there's no good reason not to do it, if you can.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic