Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 04:12:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDoom
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Doom  (Read 7521 times)
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2009, 05:07:39 AM »

So, thanks to this I really feel like playing Doom again, since it's some good old mindless shootan. However, I'm kind of sick of playing the same old Doom over and over again, so I wanted to ask you guys if you can recommend any mods for Doom (or Doom II for that matter).

I know there are tons out there if I just google, but there are also tons of shitty mods out there, so I figured I'd ask what kind of Doom mods you guys played and enjoyed.
Renton
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 08:14:13 AM »

Have you played the expansions, official packs?
Don Andy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 08:16:07 AM »

I'm not really sure, to be honest.

On the other hand, that means even if I did play them already, I haven't played them to death as much as the original games, so I guess it's a good place to start Grin
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 08:34:03 AM »

i had a version of doom with jumping and mouse aim, it was multiplayer and rather fun. i think it was called doom legends. my class played it during our senior thesis class. good times  Wizard

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Zolyx
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 10:35:12 AM »

If you do a Google search for "doom source ports" then you'll find a bedazzling array of updated ways to play Doom.

One of the most popular is ZDoom. It supports super lotsa cool stuff Smiley

Mostly harmless indie gamer
Zolyx.co.uk :: The Minecraft Museum
idolminds
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 12:57:11 PM »

Doom Raider

Requires ZDoom.
TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 01:51:22 PM »

One of the most popular is ZDoom. It supports super lotsa cool stuff

I second ZDoom.  I honestly wasn't a big Doom fan until I played Doom multiplayer.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 02:57:36 PM »

I've been using this:

http://www.doomsdayhq.com/

on OSX.

It's pretty awesome! Just make sure you disable bilinear filtering and it looks absolutely gorgeous!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:01:45 PM by toastie » Logged

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
jute
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 03:35:42 PM »

One of the greatest games ever made.  I personally recommend GZDoom, a very pretty, feature-rich port based on ZDoom.
These annual awards are a good start:
http://www.doomworld.com/15years/
http://www.doomworld.com/14years/
http://www.doomworld.com/13years/ (I did the music for Phocas Island 2!)
http://www.doomworld.com/12years/
http://www.doomworld.com/11years/

And here are some screenshots from the above award-winners, because I can't help myself:

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 06:11:41 PM »

I wanted to ask you guys if you can recommend any mods for Doom (or Doom II for that matter).
We could be here all day you know. jute capped a few of the ones that I'd suggest (though not KDiZD but that's a real love it or hate it thing. The de-remake for vanilla DooM 2 is something to watch out for though) but there is just too much stuff out there to list. Your best bet is just going through the idgames archive and looking through all the four and five-star and the occasional three-star wads. If you want to waste a solid day or two. Start with these below:

DooM
par-lutz.zip
wd1.zip (this especially, if you absolutely love the original levels but still want something that's new)

DooM 2
1024.zip
10sector.zip
3057hub1.zip
cod-zd.zip (compatibility patch for Caverns Of Darkness so it can be run in recent versions of ZDoom. COD rules by the way, you pretty much need it)
cchest2.zip
cydreams.zip
hr.zip
tutnt.zip
jute
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 09:05:51 PM »

NWOGBBV, are you involved in the Doom community?

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 09:52:07 PM »

No, but I keep a really close eye on it. I usually stop around the Doomworld and zdoom.org forums once a day to see what people are working on.
jute
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 10:01:36 PM »

Have you noticed the Blasphemer project that Stilgar and I are working on?  It's an open-source "FreeHeretic" project inspired by black and death metal imagery.  As I can't help but notice that you are a pixel artist who likes Doom and metal I feel compelled to encourage you to check it out and perhaps consider contributing....

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 01:47:25 AM »

Is that the fruit born from the "black metal Heretic" idea that was tossed around briefly? I haven't been paying attention to it since it's not HeXen but if the project is in need of a couple static object graphics I might possibly be swayed.
Don Andy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 05:17:34 AM »

Thanks for all these great suggestions guys Grin
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 07:52:08 AM »

Some of those doom screen shots look awful quake-like. I don't think the original engine could do some of the things that we're seeing there. Am I wrong?

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Gnarf
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 08:04:25 AM »

Am I wrong?

No. Most of the source ports add new features to the engine.
Sigvatr
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 09:51:10 AM »

I'm going to recommend ZDoom as the port to use in almost all circumstances unless it requires GZDoom for OpenGL effects. Most of the other source ports are created by and for particularly nitpicky Doom veterans who are very anal about their Dooming experience or want a very particular feature. ZDoom is by and large the best source port.

You'll have to search for these. They are pretty easy to find on google, but I highly recommend the following wads:

chordg - Excellent architecture and lighting. Tight, dark corridors with nicely crafted fights. It is not ten billion monsters at the same time like a lot of other wads.

deus vult
- Fucking insane, massive levels with ten billion monsters. The guy who made it truly has no life. You'd need to be playing Doom consistently since it originally came out to be able to beat it without cheats. It doesn't matter if you cheat though, its worth it just to see the epic effort that went into it. The first time I played it I laughed at how absurdly huge the levels and fights were.

deus vult 2 - Same thing except ten times worse. Unfinished, still a WIP.

the darkening - Probably the most solid wad ever made. Polished with nice new graphics, gameplay not extremely difficult.

plutonia 2 - New wad that came out only a few weeks ago. Challenging but not impossible. Looks nice.

nuts - An enormous square level with a billion jillion monsters, BFG9000 and invulnerability. Plow through an endless horde of monsters obliterating everything. Even if you use cheats, beating this level is a test in patience because of how ridiculously large and full of monsters it is.

alien vendetta - A challenging set of levels. The first time anyone really managed to make a wad with a billion monsters and still be playable and not impossible. Plowing through hordes of monsters with the BFG is pretty common place here.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 11:18:28 AM »

Am I wrong?

No. Most of the source ports add new features to the engine.
Well that's kinda... cheating. I mean, if you make the game work differently than the original then you're making a new game. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. I guess as long as it's backwards compatible.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
jute
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 12:01:35 PM »

So what would you propose calling the "new game" that, for instance, features all of Doom's graphics, audio, maps, and gameplay plus the ability for level designers to make slopes?

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic