Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411621 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 10:53:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEven the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Even the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!  (Read 318998 times)
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: July 03, 2014, 05:03:30 AM »

New picture soon! as soon as I make it.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: July 03, 2014, 09:45:16 AM »

hey look buffer mode works.

in the video, i select a buffer of some entities and tiles from one canyon area, change maps, then paste it into a new canyon area.

play hydlide 2
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1142 on: July 03, 2014, 07:47:12 PM »

Buffer mode looks pretty neat, and so do those areas.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: July 04, 2014, 07:41:07 AM »

Getting back to level design a bit now! This isn't level design here this is Jon's new art. Preview! I'll be tweetin' this tomorrow~ (if there's no other new art by then.) I also have lots of rocks and plants to show.

play hydlide 2
kittakaj
Level 1

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1144 on: July 04, 2014, 04:05:51 PM »

Thanks SnakeCoiler! I've gotten further tightening up the details in the sand and such since this pic, mostly just the background stuff to nail down before i feel like a still shot would really look finished-ish. But I've been spending a lot of time on this area because I'm totally revamping the way I'm doing the nature area gfx. This was allows me a lot more freedom with the contour of shapes which is fun (e.g. the silhouette of the tree would totally not work tile-based)

But I've kinda run my arm into the ground this week. not sure why. maybe working on these bigger images is more taxing than working on small tiles? More hand movements? anyway soreness shifting around my wrist, elbow, upper arm. Very frustrating! will probably get a wrist or elbow brace to sleep in? took it easy today.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: July 04, 2014, 08:30:39 PM »

!quick!music! https://t.co/ehPoypPi4m

play hydlide 2
apebeast
Level 0

Indie game designer making high quality games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1146 on: July 04, 2014, 11:39:35 PM »

Super pretty art! Very curious on how the game goes Wink

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: July 06, 2014, 05:02:03 PM »

thanks ! feel free to ask any specific questions.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: July 08, 2014, 12:59:53 PM »

whoops, didnt update it yesterday. oh wait, i didnt, oh wait no i did do stuff yesterday because it was monday and i often do things on monday. what did i do. little fixes and a little music, mostly. today i did something that lets you add environmental objects easily, which will help wth how we approach tiling now.

some wip music.
https://soundcloud.com/seagaia/even-the-ocean-ost-f-i-sg-wip

i think it's too stiff right now . the little melodic parts should be very very ornamental and hardly noticeable. right now it feels like garageband.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: July 08, 2014, 06:32:47 PM »

oh I already posted that early? hm. int he meantime, i spent a few hours today playing through a jazz theory book (mark levine). just a few parts so far. maybe it will help with my composition. we'll see. 

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: July 09, 2014, 09:07:29 PM »

There's a few smaller gauntlets...for some reason...at some point in the game...as for why...it's a secret...Jon and I are making them right now...it's a secret...

play hydlide 2
kittakaj
Level 1

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1151 on: July 10, 2014, 04:32:52 AM »

I hate when specific games follow me on twitter. Because it's not even a person's feed, they're just following me so I'll hear of and maybe follow back their game Angry

I feel like if you're a game you should just follow other games/companies.

kittakaj
Level 1

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1152 on: July 10, 2014, 12:54:37 PM »

new box art sketch on the first page of the devlog Smiley

working on those mystery mini-gauntlets. It's really cool how the different entities totally shift the feeling of moving through space in the different gauntlets.

my arm is recovering I think but still trying to be nice to it. standing desk is working out ok so far. I get better sleep at night because it's tiring to stand all day.

mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1153 on: July 10, 2014, 02:15:15 PM »

I hate when specific games follow me on twitter. Because it's not even a person's feed, they're just following me so I'll hear of and maybe follow back their game Angry

better than poes

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: July 11, 2014, 06:59:20 PM »

whats up its not saturday yet no new pictures

ok ok more level design less harvest moon

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: July 11, 2014, 07:00:32 PM »

hey look it's music. I started working through a jazz theory book and so i worked on some ETO+basic jazz stuff. i think this is nice. It's sorta simple with the piano but it's to the point where you could make it sound nice iwth synths/lite drum machine in-game somewhere

https://soundcloud.com/seagaia/eto-even-theme-aliph-theme-piano-thing

--

https://soundcloud.com/seagaia/even-the-ocean-ost-f-i-sg-wip

play hydlide 2
poe
« Reply #1156 on: July 11, 2014, 07:26:31 PM »

better than poes

dude wtf
Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1157 on: July 11, 2014, 07:29:28 PM »

I really like the piano thing. I think it could be worked into something incredible. I can hear the jazz influence.

How are you finding jazz theory? It's something I want to learn some day but am kind of intimidated by because I hear it's one of the most difficult genres. I also don't read sheet music so I imagine that might make things harder.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: July 11, 2014, 08:34:33 PM »

poe ive missed you

----

Yeah, I like it too. the chords aren't super interesting , but they work ok, and i went with intuition for a few parts, though it's rough. most of the melody was pre-existing so that helped a lot (just sort of improv-changed as i went along).

jazz theory feels pretty tough, but i've been putting it off basically forever and it really seems like a necessity for getting better with songwriting. it's not something i see myself turning to all of the time, but it can really help to inform structure of a song when your intuition/instinct doesn't get you far enough. it really helps with songs with more traidtional song structures (Verse chorus etc), i feel. it's the kind of thing that you need to practice daily for a while to really get into your head since it's a way of thinking that's definitely not natural at first for a classically trained musician.

for me I feel like the theory is just an extension of music theory that is more relevant and useful than say, studying bach stuff (though that likely has uses as well). all music theory helps, of course - e.g. i think it would help anyone to just learn basic dynamic/tempo/expression markings in orchestral scores and learn how they work etc.

it seems like yo might have to know how to read sheet music, a lot of the theory seems to be learning relations of keys/chords/scales/modes. i think you have to have a working knowledge of reading treble/bass clef on piano, unfortunately. it's not very hard to learn that stuff, though, just takes time. though I can't say for sure since i learned it when i was 6 or so. but it's basically just learning to read a pretty small set of symbols and translate that to anohter set of symbols (The keyboard).

play hydlide 2
Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1159 on: July 12, 2014, 07:49:05 AM »

Personally I found many of the chords you chose to be pleasant. Certainly more interesting and unique than the majority of the stuff I hear.

I suppose jazz theory doesn't make sense for where I'm at as a musician right now. Still have more basic stuff to learn and practice since I've (regrettably) almost entirely just winged it. Like, I technically know how to read sheet music but it takes me several seconds per note.

You always give good replies, so thanks

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic