Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411609 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 11:53:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralTIGSTWG XXII: Checkmate in three moves [CHECKMATE]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: TIGSTWG XXII: Checkmate in three moves [CHECKMATE]  (Read 11290 times)
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2012, 10:07:03 AM »

Hahaha, that's rich. Fastest game of TWG ever?

(also, i have the next one ready -- if no one else wants to host, i'll gladly do so.)
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2012, 10:22:11 AM »

Damn straight! All hail King Crowe

I knew that Garthy had to be important, because he was talking a lot, so I set up a scheme to identify him. So, I chatted him up in PM and said I was a pawn but then tried to control him that night as well. If I managed to get an obvious effect, he was an ally; if nothing, he was possibly an enemy. So I tried to override him... and was actively blocked, which meant something was interfering with me -- if it hadn't worked, I just wouldn't have seen any effect, same as if I controlled an ally and asked him to do something unobvious.

So, he was either being shielded, or he was the black king -- after all, I had corresponded with him, so if he was the king he would probably have targeted me just as I had targeted him. My attack on Landshark was just to draw things out until I could figure out whether Garthy was actually a king or not, because he was clearly important in some way and so being in contact with him would be useful.

I was also talking to Inanimate for similar reasons, but hadn't had the chance to test him yet. And, as it turned out, both Garthy and Inanimate were queens, so I wasn't far off, and probably talking to both of them would have worked out if we hadn't miraculously and disappointingly won.

Haha, but I had no idea Autothysis was a king or important at all, I thought he was just a bandwagon vote. Did you guys know or were we just lucky?
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2012, 10:31:56 AM »

Autothysis just brought too much attention to himself Sad

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2012, 10:51:53 AM »

I had absolutely no clue. I was just voting on him because I had to vote for somebody, and he seemed very confrontational.
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2012, 11:59:31 AM »

That's sort of why I picked Landshark; I wanted to vote early so I could hopefully get people to follow along with me (because all I knew for sure was that I was the king, I just needed someone killed and starting the vote was a good way to shape voting), and he was the only one with an actual excuse for voting for him, even if it was a stupid reason.

I'm surprised noone voted for me at all, I thought I was being relatively unsubtle.
Bandages
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2012, 12:08:05 PM »

Haaaah...

Yeah......

That's what I get for an unexplained vote. Went into damage control mode when I realized I was being bandwagoned but alas

Yep
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2012, 04:00:51 PM »

Pwahahah!

That's great. I was just opposing Autothysis because he voted for me randomly. Looks like we lucked out, big time.
Anyway, I decided to block Garthy's action on the first night because he was a demon in previous lifetimes. It turns out that he was also the most dangerous unit for us this game. I guess the unimpeachable white army achieved a perfect, blind victory. I'm glad I didn't turn gray, or I couldn't have celebrated victory.

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2012, 04:20:39 PM »

Many thanks to Alevice for hosting the game.

The result feels a little like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fool%27s_mate

So I was effectively, as Queen, working with the enemy King and Queen. Yay me.

crowe had suggested he was a pawn to me, I said I'm not a pawn, then the event happened that made pawns and non-pawns enemies, but I figured, screw it, I'll work with crowe anyway, until I had a reason to distrust him, and then I'd fake it. As far as I knew there were two grey pawns, and they'd be nice allies to our cause.

I suspected his message to me was undirected, and he sent out a whole bunch of similar messages to other people. I guess I was probably wrong.

crowe: "I knew that Garthy had to be important, because he was talking a lot"

I think I'm just impossible to shut up in any case. It turned out well for you in the end though.

I had Autothysis pegged as a minor piece, possibly in contact with someone who could protect him or redirect an attack, since he seemed to be trying to attract a lot of hostile attention. At least, that's how I saw it. So, I wasn't going to touch him at night. I did not suspect him to be a King on my side at all. Nice to know I managed to lynch my own King. *facepalm* If he survived the day and night though, I'd imagine nobody would have believed him to be anything but a minor piece, so if circumstances were a bit different, it could have been an incredible bluff.

First turn, the results for a blind Queen strike in isolation are four foes, three allies, and two Kings (blocked). If I fired and somebody redirected me, I may have ID'd myself to my King. If I hit a King, I've either found my King or the enemy one. Both results are valuable. So, that's six positive results and three negative, even ignoring the hope of my King ID-ing me. So, the odds said I should fire blind.

My kill on Dacke basically came up from a random roll of idle players. I agreed with the random roll though. I could see him being given a King role since he was very active last game. It didn't matter what side he was on, if my attack failed I may have almost-ID'd a King, and he wasn't likely to have been protected since he hadn't even spoken. It would have turned out nicely if I was right. But I was wrong.

When the day dragged on, I figured that Paul Jeffries was probably a King, since if the day ended with his automatic execution for being idle, the game would end. I was going to target him that night. Again, wrong.

Apart from the odds, I think I was wrong about every single thing of consequence in the game. Yay me.

Congrats to everyone for successful sleuthing with extremely limited information.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2012, 04:44:23 PM »

"Apart from the odds, I think I was wrong about every single thing of consequence in the game."

I've just manage to out-do myself here. I even got the odds wrong in my post. That should have been four allies and five foes, not three allies and four foes.

Whilst I could edit my previous post and correct it, I wouldn't want to give up the opportunity to have been completely wrong about everything. Far out. So let me correct my last statement:

"I think I was wrong about every single thing of consequence in the game."

Much better.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2012, 04:46:35 PM »

The day dragd because I as so frustrated the King was so quickly lynched. I was hoping for some events to occur where someone would change their mind. All the intrigued development was t short almost immediately.

For the record, I try to be fair when assigning roles by just using a random sorting. I never handpick roles (I did reroll once on the previous game, due to some possible trolls, however), so there is a chance for everyone to have any role.

Crowe's deduction isn't 100% right however. I changed my mind (fucking inconsistent ashole, I am) halfway on wether or not I should give some sort of feedback, because once I ran the command "stack", I noticid there were plenty of modifiers that could affect way too much any result, and there was not any sort of morning feedback either. So I decided to give a very vague feedback at least so the players wouldn't feel that cheated given all the possible shenanigans.

The grey rebellion arised as a possible solution for the risk of stagnation (day 1 everyone was like errm, how the fuck do I vote for anyone?). So the idea of a possible neutral faction (similar to standard village in a vanilla werewolf game) came to my mind. The goal I had was that faction players would try to persuade greys to ally in the favor of a given side, because they were pretty much a free extra vote, in exchange perhaps for protection at night and shit. I was surrpised that at least everyone decided to gank on the poor greys instead; not that I complain on that, it was a pleasant surprise, and in the end it accomplished what I wanted: an anti-stagnation mechanism.

And for the record, the only grey rebel died the same night he raised to arms. Not that I would inform that during the morning!

It came to my mind afterwards that I could have come up wit extra twist evey morning, of varying significance depending on the game development. It could have kept people in their toes all the time.

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2012, 04:49:19 PM »

Alevice: "I was surrpised that at least everyone decided to gank on the poor greys instead"

I had thought I was possibly working with one of the greys, crowe, who turned out to be King instead. It was part of my cunning* plan.

* - Cunning: Completely wrong.
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »

I wanted to pretend to a role that couldn't be directly tested, because I could hardly run around saying I was the king -- if I told the other king, he'd do everything he could to eliminate me. So I claimed to be a pawn, whose only ability is invisible.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2012, 04:59:15 PM »

Ironically, as Queen I could have tested your (fake Pawn) ability by asking you to target me while I shot a random I hadn't told you about. It would have strongly suggested my role though.

I think almost all of the roles could be tested in *some* way, but usually required a few pieces working together. And then it becomes a matter of how you manage *that*.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2012, 05:02:41 PM »

Incidentally, in case anyone has missed it, Inanimate is setting up a new game:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=26891.0
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2012, 05:32:11 PM »

Thanks, Garthy. Smiley
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2012, 05:45:10 PM »

Ironically, as Queen I could have tested your (fake Pawn) ability by asking you to target me while I shot a random I hadn't told you about. It would have strongly suggested my role though.

Right, if you'd asked that I would know you were either a bishop or a queen, because that's the only way that could be effective as a test.

I wish it'd gone on longer, but that's life I suppose.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2012, 05:55:33 PM »

Right, if you'd asked that I would know you were either a bishop or a queen, because that's the only way that could be effective as a test.

Exactly. That made it too risky to use. In any case, I would have thought you were more valuable as a potential ally (big mistake on my part), and probably would have tried to test someone else first. I didn't suspect that your contact with me was anything but random (mistake). I did think it might have been a mass send-out though (also wrong). Whilst I was mildly sceptical about your claim to be a pawn, I had no real reason to believe you to be an enemy specifically. I did not even *slightly* suspect you to be a King. Not at all. I did not see that coming. Maybe something would have come out later to give me a hint as to your allegiance or identity, but I was pretty-much in the dark.
wademcgillis
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2012, 06:21:33 AM »

Mock Anger JUSTICE
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic