Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411650 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 10:26:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Processing's IDE is horrible!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Processing's IDE is horrible!  (Read 7221 times)
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: May 22, 2010, 05:10:48 AM »

I tried finding an alternative in Google or even some sort of plugin for Notepad++, but googling "Processing" is pretty much impossible, we get all kinds of unrelated stuff.

Does anyone know a good alternative? Panda
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 05:19:03 AM »

I'm not sure there is one which is a pity, seeing as it's such a nice language with such a horrible IDE. You could try asking on the processin forums if anybody knows of any alternatives, though I doubt there are any as processing seems to be more geared to quick programs and artists than large projects.
Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 05:24:07 AM »

Use whatever IDE you want + http://dev.processing.org/reference/everything/javadoc/processing/app/Commander.html
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 05:28:31 AM »

Oh yeah, I forgot about that, as processing is simply an abstraction of java you can use any java editor/ide you want.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 05:39:16 AM »

I don't want to sound like a charity case, but I'm not really sure how to use this.

I'm just a casual programmer Panda

processing seems to be more geared to quick programs and artists than large projects.
Yep, that's me alright.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 05:46:44 AM »

Does processing have any command line options? If it does it might be possible to write a plugin for notepad++ or something which will pass the current file to processing for compilation via the command line...

[EDIT]
processing sketches cannot be built from command line but a person here claims to have written a command line alternative, which could probably be used from your faviorite IDE. I'm on my iPod so I can't download the new compiler, but if it does what he says it does then that would be great...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 05:54:33 AM by 14113 » Logged
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 06:00:07 AM »

Nah, that file is 404. Plus, that post is from 2005, so even if it worked back then, it probably doesn't work now.

I guess I'm stuck with Processing's IDE, the solutions I've been finding are way over my head.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 06:08:20 AM »

Yeah, for all it's virtues, the lack of IDE choice for processing is a massive problem, especially given the user freindlyness of the current one.
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 07:51:41 AM »

maybe this is an option: http://code.google.com/p/netbeans-processing-template/
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 07:57:45 AM »

Maybe I've missed the point of processing, but you aren't really supposed to need an IDE. It's just a slightly simplified Java syntax that helps you write little toy/experiment programs in a single script.

Personally I find processing great for little prototype programs to try out a graphics or geometry algorithm, but I'm not sure what it would need an IDE for.

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 09:03:11 AM »

Maybe this works, I don't know, but I can't make it work. Panda

Maybe I've missed the point of processing, but you aren't really supposed to need an IDE. It's just a slightly simplified Java syntax that helps you write little toy/experiment programs in a single script.

It's just little things that are missing that make programming there really bothersome, like a functions and classes navigation menu or hide/collapse chunks of code, I hate having to be always scrolling up and down through a huge page of code.
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 10:16:02 AM »

ah i think it is only for netbeans 6.5 ... maybe there are instructions on the processing page how to embed processing into netbeans... sorry for the time eating link...
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 10:38:29 AM »

Personally I find processing great for little prototype programs to try out a graphics or geometry algorithm, but I'm not sure what it would need an IDE for.
All kYn means (I think) is that the editor for processing is dammed horrible. Like he said, no code collapsing, no function browsing, a slightly dodgy debugger and HORRIBLE tabs. Even though it's just for little programs doesn't mean it should be THAT bad.
Zaphos
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 12:43:03 PM »

Yeah, I use processing for a lot of small things, and it's pretty bad as an editor -- even really basic stuff is missing, for example if you press ctrl-z then it won't scroll to what it undid, so you will sometimes have no clue what exactly it's undoing or redoing.  I've been meaning to try switching to a different editor, too.

(Also, even though processing is 'intended' for little projects, sometimes little projects can grow bigger than you'd expected, and some IDE-type features will be missed ...)

Here's a tutorial for processing in eclipse that looks decent: http://www.learningprocessing.com/tutorials/processing-in-eclipse/
The disadvantage for that approach is that you will have to add a few extra lines of the ugly java stuff that processing hides from you.  And eclipse is a bit of a resource hog iirc.  But aside from that it seems pretty nice.

You can alternatively select "use external editor" in the preferences and then open the files in something like scite or notepad++ -- see the "advanced tip" here: http://processing.org/learning/gettingstarted/
Though that won't give you any nice ide features, it'll be at least a bit less stupid as an editor.

edit:
I tried finding an alternative in Google or even some sort of plugin for Notepad++, but googling "Processing" is pretty much impossible, we get all kinds of unrelated stuff.
To google processing stuff I usually add "site:processing.org" instead of just "processing" to the query -- it restricts it to the processing.org site, so maybe misses some stuff, but it avoids the unrelated stuff.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 12:46:09 PM by Zaphos » Logged
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 12:59:19 PM »

You can alternatively select "use external editor" in the preferences and then open the files in something like scite or notepad++ -- see the "advanced tip" here: http://processing.org/learning/gettingstarted/
Though that won't give you any nice ide features, it'll be at least a bit less stupid as an editor.

OH HELLS YES! This works! Rockin' it in Notepad++ with the Java Language mode.
Thanks Zaphos, may fortune smile upon thee.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 01:31:07 PM »

OH HELLS YES! This works! Rockin' it in Notepad++ with the Java Language mode.
Thanks Zaphos, may fortune smile upon thee.
For the first time in my live I wish I could press a Like button for this comment.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic