Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411722 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58455 Members - Latest Member: Sergei

May 22, 2024, 06:23:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Bullet Hell
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bullet Hell  (Read 1267 times)
digitalgibs
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2010, 08:12:11 PM »

I've recently seen some of these games and it got me thinking about their design...  How on earth do they script these games?!?!?  AI? Bullet patterns?  It's insane how many of these Bullet Hell games just throw a crazy number of enemies, but it's always the same; not random.

Any ideas?  I can't imagine that someone sat there and made a giant switch() statement or something.  There must be a more elegant solution... no?
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 08:25:05 PM »

Take a look at BulletML, I suppose.

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/bulletml/index_e.html

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 02:48:19 AM »

Using a scripting language (Like BulletML), how else?
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 03:30:22 AM »

I've recently seen some of these games and it got me thinking about their design...  How on earth do they script these games?!?!?  AI? Bullet patterns?  It's insane how many of these Bullet Hell games just throw a crazy number of enemies, but it's always the same; not random.

Any ideas?  I can't imagine that someone sat there and made a giant switch() statement or something.  There must be a more elegant solution... no?

Mathematics lets you describe patterns like these - I'd bet that most bullet patterns are procedural.

st33d
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 05:29:51 AM »

I made a scripting language for my bullet hell shooter. It basically detailed one of 360 degrees from a trig look up table and the speed of the bullet, then a pause. That was the turret command. There were also movement commands and a spawn command that generated more monsters as if they were bullets (and I could carry on nesting these monsters forever).
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic