Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 07:30:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGebub's Adventure [Released on Steam!]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Gebub's Adventure [Released on Steam!]  (Read 17085 times)
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2016, 01:58:27 PM »

I also like the style.  The main character reminds me of the old game "Dizzy" (the egg) in a good way.  Interestingly, the game in the videos looks a lot better because certain movement details just don't come across in the screenshots.

What does  "35% of the way to the top 100" mean?  If there were a thousand games, then there were 350 games before yours?

Haven't done it myself, so I'm just basing the following on what I've seen from projects that got greenlit.  Yes, you'll get some organic traffic from Steam, but often you'll also have to do your part.  Unless you have a good following base, you may need to promote it - e.g. online games related website can write an article, YouTubers can show some gameplay, other developers can give a shout out on twitter - just to name a few.

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2016, 05:46:07 AM »

I looked up the game "Dizzy" and it does look like a very interesting adventure game. Thanks for pointing it out to me!

I think you understand correctly what it means, steam doesn't really give a definition, so what you said is what I would assume it means also. Except probably it would be more like if there were 1100 games, and my game, being 35% of the way to the top 100, would be ahead of the bottom 350 games.

I have been doing my best to promote the greenlight campaign(especially on twitter and developer forums like TIGSource). I'm planning to work on a new trailer, though(because the current one was recorded while the game only played at 30 FPS), after which I may well try to promote the game through game related websites. Contacting YouTubers is a good idea as well, but I'm not sure how they would feel about playing an adventure game that is unfinished and has no ending yet.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2016, 06:20:03 PM »

Thank you for your reply.

Looks like I forgot to include that I was referring to the 8-bit Dizzy that I used to play on the Commodore 64 Smiley  There have been other versions made since then with better graphics.

I've seen demos played by YouTubers so it's a possibility.   But in general, the *superstars* (i.e. YouTubers with millions of subscribers) tend to play full games so you could try the ones with that have 100's of thousands or less subscribers.  Also, it's good to have a demo available.  I heard some people giving out Steam Keys for such purposes but wonder if you can do that before a game's actually Greenlit.  Another option might be to have your own download link or upload it to itch.io (and perhaps also sell it there later) that has many games.  That way players also will be able to check it out and if they like the game then they'll be interested in following it.  Having interesting teaser screenshots at the end page as well a links for the Steam Greenlight and your other social media can help people following the game.

There are few ideas about promoting games, in case you haven't seen them: 
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=54034.0
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=47706.0

Tyro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2016, 07:37:35 PM »

I like this game's simplistic style and am a huge fan of exploration-based gameplay. I grew up playing some of the games you mentioned it was inspired by, so I have a feeling I'll be a big fan of the final product.

Good luck getting it greenlit!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2016, 02:51:30 PM »

In terms of Greenlight numbers, are yours very different from this: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=54034.0

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2016, 05:06:35 PM »

@io3 creations
Most likely I will not be contacting any let's players until the game is finished. If this was an arcade game I probably could, but I don't see why any youtuber would find it appealling to play an adventure game where you'll eventually just reach a dead end.

Thank you for those links! Smiley

@Tyro
Thank you very much, Tyro! Smiley

@io3 creations
I have about half as many yes votes as they do.

Since the last update I've been polishing a lot of different things and working on new areas.
I just started working on this area today(still needs a lot more work):

bestowing scene:

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2016, 05:47:06 PM »

You never know until you try. Smiley

A few more tips: it might help if you add the Greenlight link to your signature and also make the Greenlight link in the first post more obvious - i.e. add some kind of Greenlight banner image that people can recognize quickly.

bestowing scene:

I like the addition of those "smoke clouds". Fits the style well. Smiley

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2016, 01:07:57 PM »

@io3 creations
Thanks for the tips, I've added a greenlight banner to the first post. Smiley

I've been working more on this purple area. If you fall outside of the lighted parts, the monitors will put you back to the last platform you were on.

I've been working on a few other areas also, but mostly only conceptually(on paper).

Some very good news: I found a new composer who seems to have an excellent idea of the right mood for the game. I'm planning to run a kickstarter in a couple weeks to help pay for the music since I will not be able to afford it entirely by myself.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2016, 12:29:03 AM »

Nice way to avoid immersion breaking! And avoid frustration due to having to redo large sections of platforming WTF
lobstersteve
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2016, 04:18:15 AM »

hehe. nice idea Smiley
stuff like this makes me want to explore a world in games
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2016, 12:12:47 PM »

@JobLeonard
indeed! the player never dies in this game, anyway

@lobstersteve
thanks!

It's been a while since the last update. I've been pretty busy recently getting everything set with the composer I'm going to work with and also recording & editing for a new trailer that will be used on the Kickstarter. I cannot afford the music composition costs myself which is why I'll be running a Kickstarter.

As for the game itself, I've been working more on the purple area, and also adding in small details everywhere.
Here's a gif I posted on the last screenshot saturday:

Kickstarter coming soon!

nuuup
Level 0

@noodlenuuup

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2016, 04:19:46 PM »

Hmm very nice!

I make games! Check them out.
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2016, 02:46:53 PM »

thanks, nuuup!

I've been quite busy lately, doing work on the game and simultaneously working on things for the Kickstarter page.
The purple sector is getting quite close to being finished and I hope to start working on the dark underwater place next(lots of big plans for that area).

some more creatures in the purple:

it is likely the next update will be to officially announce the kickstarter...!

wirelessbrain55
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2016, 06:35:48 PM »

What language or program did u use to make this game and how did you think of the whole world, like it's huge and interesting to explore.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2016, 12:17:32 AM »

it is likely the next update will be to officially announce the kickstarter...!
Oooh!

(Still don't have a credit card, so I can't back even though I'd love to; guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed it gets through and buy it the regular way later)
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2016, 02:08:23 PM »

@wirelessbrain55
I'm using GameMaker Studio to develop this game.
"how did you think of the whole world"
Usually I sketch out the different areas on paper first, then I start working on it in the game. Things are bound to change a little bit from the sketch during this process.

@JobLeonard
Perhaps you could consider asking a friend or relative to lend you theirs?(then reimburse them afterwards)

I'm planning to launch the kickstarter in a couple weeks, probably sometime in early April. I still have a lot of work to do, but things are going very well. I just finished the Purple area today and I'm moving on to the underwater location. Also recently sketched out the beach area:

this sketch only captures a few of the details, the real beach will probably be a bit longer & have more interesting features & variation

I should be able to announce an official launch date for the Kickstarter next week. In the meantime I'll just be polishing the KS page, doing other preparations, and working on the deep underwater area.

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2016, 07:25:50 AM »

The Kickstarter for Gebub's Adventure is scheduled to launch April 5, just twelve days away! Make sure to mark your calendar! Smiley

I'm going to be quite busy preparing for the launch, but I'll still try squeezing in another progress update before then. I really appreciate all the feedback and support I've gotten so far, you guys have been awesome and I really hope you'll enjoy the finished product.

lobstersteve
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2016, 12:38:43 PM »

What is your kickstarter goal?
Do you really think it's super necessary?  Shrug
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2016, 01:00:01 PM »

What is your kickstarter goal?
Do you really think it's super necessary?  Shrug

I'm pretty sure the goal will be around $3500. The reason I'm running this Kickstarter is because I cannot afford the cost of music entirely by myself. However, I have been very fortunate in finding an excellent composer who has an extremely good music direction for the game.

wirelessbrain55
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2016, 04:52:04 PM »

ok great ill definitely buy it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic