Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 12:43:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGebub's Adventure [Released on Steam!]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Gebub's Adventure [Released on Steam!]  (Read 17084 times)
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2016, 02:15:16 PM »

@wirelessbrain55
good to hear! Smiley There is going to be a reward tier on the Kickstarter for if you want to purchase the game ahead of time.

Today I worked on some more promo art for the game, using alcohol-based markers, as always. This one is actually a combination of a marker drawing and some digital effects... features some of the characters from the game.

I got an e-mail today from Kickstarter, they are announcing a change in the image ratio for project images, switching from 4:3 to 16:9, and this goes into effect April 6 (One day after my game launches, the timing literally couldn't be worse).

The game is still progressing well, I made a new small area that is slightly puzzling... and also Marius finished the track for the grassaro area. Everything is coming together smoothly.

Remember, the Kickstarter launches on April 5! (less than a week away)

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2016, 01:44:07 AM »

Looks a bit like the special levels in the Mario games
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2016, 09:21:54 AM »

Looks a bit like the special levels in the Mario games

any level in particular? I wasn't able to find anything too similar, but it would be interesting to have a screenshot for reference. Smiley

---

The Kickstarter is scheduled to launch tomorrow at 11 AM (EST), I'm doing my best to stay calm  Crazy
I will be announcing the launch here on the devlog, on my blog, and also on twitter. If you'd like to retweet, you can follow me on twitter here. If you're planning on backing the project, first of all, you're awesome, and second, I'd appreciate it if you would back it on the first day, to help get momentum going. Smiley

Time to double-check everything, I'll see you all tomorrow!

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2016, 07:02:54 AM »

KICKSTARTER IS NOW LIVE!!!

Enjoy the new trailer & content on the KS! If you'd like to back the project, please do so as soon as possible to get momentum going!

You can also share the project on twitter by retweeting! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 07:58:58 AM by orange08 » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2016, 07:51:25 AM »

HYPEHYPEHYPE. Got a twitter to retweet?
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2016, 08:00:59 AM »

HYPEHYPEHYPE. Got a twitter to retweet?

That's a good idea(thanks for reminding me!), added it to the post. Here it is on twitter: https://twitter.com/orangeclam/status/717366349304098817

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2016, 07:00:46 AM »

The Kickstarter has been active for 24 hours and it has reached 4% of it's funding goal, not a tremendous start but still good to see.

As some of you know, I posted this game on Steam Greenlight as well, last February... it started off well, but ended up in the greenlight limbo. I'm contemplating re-launching using the new trailer & content, as the game has progressed a good bit since the first greenlight.

I am still open to critique & suggestions for both the game & the kickstarter. Really appreciate all the comments & support I've been given so far as well!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2016, 07:49:27 AM »

If you can have a relaunch, then do that as having more content might make the difference.

I'm wondering, can you remove the current project?

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2016, 10:53:50 AM »

If you can have a relaunch, then do that as having more content might make the difference.

I'm wondering, can you remove the current project?

Yes, it is possible to remove your projects from greenlight.

The re-launched greenlight campaign for Gebub's Adventure is now up!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2016, 11:44:37 AM »

Yes, it is possible to remove your projects from greenlight.
That's good to know.

Also, I didn't see this level in the trailer.

That could add more variety.  Also, not sure if you thought about it but might be helpful to format the video that answers (or at least gives some clues) to the following questions since probably not many people tend to read descriptions:
-Who is Gebub?
-What is Gebub's purpose/problem that needs to be resolved?  In other words, what would motivate the player care about or help Gebub?

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2016, 02:43:50 PM »

I totally missed that you have a KickStarter for this. I'll make sure to mention it on the next PigIgnorant.com podcast.

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2016, 10:01:08 AM »

@io3 creations
I started working on the colorful area after the trailer had already been finished, it's still not a very large place. So, regrettably it couldn't be in the trailer.

Definitely would have been a good idea to tell some of the backstory of Gebub, although the method of showing text in-between gameplay snippets can have a way of breaking immersion a bit... probably would have been worth it. Something to keep in mind if I update the trailer. Thanks for the suggestion!

@Oddball
A mention would be very much appreciated! Smiley Interesting that you have time both to develop games and do a podcast, does having those 2 hobbies simultaneously ever weigh heavily on you?

---

The last couple of days have been pretty hectic, but today I found time to start working on the game some more. Working on a new collectable for the underwater area, also have been working on some creatures.

The Kickstarter is just over 10% right now, which is quite good. Still haven't had any press for the game, but I'm going to see if I can help that to change.
I'm very grateful for all the backers, all the support that you guys have given me so far, I'm going to give this game my very best.

tylerfunk
Level 0

I make games for fun and games

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2016, 05:55:53 PM »

I just randomly checked out your kickstarter linked from something random you posted on here, and I immediately backed it before coming back here to read up on the development! I was a fan of some of the games you mentioned as inspirations, and this looked right up with them in quality, if not better!

MEAD✿W LARK - Metal Deity - That Sea of Neon - Breakvania
EnragedCoder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2016, 08:09:50 PM »

Best of luck to you with your campaign, your game has a rare quality and style.
I for one played the hell out of the demo, so, instantly backed!!!  Beer!

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2016, 04:47:41 AM »

@Lugalias
Thanks for backing! I appreciate the kind words as well.

@EnragedCoder
Awesome! Thanks for playing the demo and backing!

The Kickstarter is going extremely well(thanks to you guys), just passed 20%. I've been really impressed by the dedication so many people have to the project as well as their dedication to supporting me. We should be getting some press for the game very soon which will hopefully help to contribute momentum.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2016, 11:15:46 AM »

Definitely would have been a good idea to tell some of the backstory of Gebub, although the method of showing text in-between gameplay snippets can have a way of breaking immersion a bit... probably would have been worth it. Something to keep in mind if I update the trailer. Thanks for the suggestion!
You don't always have to show text.  In fact, there are times when it's better not to and not just for some/many people not being able to understand the language.  However, there are lots of ways you can communicate meaning.  Showing the main character's pet being kidnapped by the evil nemesis is a common approach to set up motivation at the very beginning.  After thinking about it, in a way since your game is mostly about the exploration with certain puzzle elements, that may not be as necessary since for those that like exploration, exploration itself is the motivation and that was shown in the trailer. Smiley  If there's more of a back story for Gebub or other story elements that might entice players then it could be good to show those in a different story based trailer.

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2016, 09:33:41 AM »

You don't always have to show text.  In fact, there are times when it's better not to and not just for some/many people not being able to understand the language.  However, there are lots of ways you can communicate meaning.  Showing the main character's pet being kidnapped by the evil nemesis is a common approach to set up motivation at the very beginning.  After thinking about it, in a way since your game is mostly about the exploration with certain puzzle elements, that may not be as necessary since for those that like exploration, exploration itself is the motivation and that was shown in the trailer. Smiley  If there's more of a back story for Gebub or other story elements that might entice players then it could be good to show those in a different story based trailer.

Yes, the backstory is very simple, it may have been best to just show the exploration aspect and creature interactions.

Some great news, the game has been featured in an article on Killscreen!

The very first press for the game! I'm quite pleased Smiley

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2016, 09:15:56 AM »

ive started work on the beach area

so far I just have crabs & palm trees... wondering if there's any other animals(or plant life) that would feel at home here. Perhaps some birds flying in the distance.

The Kickstarter for the game has been going a steady pace, some of the recent backers have been generous with their pledges which is very encouraging.

I'm probably going to start working on a map for the game(to go in the pause menu) once I finish this Beach area. Since the beach is the left-most area in the game world, it means starting work on the map will be much simpler.

orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2016, 12:45:36 PM »

Since the beach is the left-most area in the game world, it means starting work on the map will be much simpler.

This is not entirely accurate anymore. There may be yet another place even further to the left.

I've been working a bit more on the beach, tinkering at the same time in the underwater place. There are a lot of things down there that I need to finalize conceptually.

The Kickstarter has almost 1 week left, for the last 7 days I'm considering doing something special, maybe a marker doodle per day or something. Hopefully we can garner a lot more support from potential backers. We've hit 30% which is fantastic but still need to keep making progress!

i took a pic of one of my beach doodles so I could compare it with the real thing in-game, enjoy:

breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2016, 02:51:17 PM »

This game looks so cute! I like how powerful the art direction is even if it's not technically advanced, you know who you are as a game and I appreciate that! Good luck hitting the goal. Even though you're low in % you're not asking for that much so I think you could hit your goal if you really took to spreading the word on social media, maybe some small press releases, etc.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic