Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 07:38:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Vergessen [not currently being worked on anymore]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Vergessen [not currently being worked on anymore]  (Read 106733 times)
Dragonmaw
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2011, 02:53:59 PM »

John.

This is single-handedly the most exciting game of the competition. HURRY UP. I NEED IT SO BAD.
berareu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2011, 03:11:59 PM »

This concept is EXCELLEEEEENT! Wish you luck my Game Maker brethern  Beer!
Are you gonna make it online?
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2011, 03:32:01 PM »

You're on a crash course for awesome.

ink.inc
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2011, 03:35:56 PM »

whatever you do, don't run this through a german translator...
Well this sure doesn't look like an Elder Scrolls game.
What do you mean? I've never really played through an Elder Scrolls, so I don't quite catch your drift...

This concept is EXCELLEEEEENT! Wish you luck my Game Maker brethern  Beer!
Are you gonna make it online?

My priorities are: Local multiplayer (on one PC), then LAN, then global. I'm really not too sure if I will be able to implement the last two in time, but I'll probably keep on chuggin' on those even after the compo ends.

John.

This is single-handedly the most exciting game of the competition. HURRY UP. I NEED IT SO BAD.

Thanks a bunch. That means a lot to me, comin' from you.

Bit rough in places, but I'm satisfied for now. I'll probably add a bit of side-to-side for the head later.

I'll spend the rest of the day workin' on tiles and then animations.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2011, 03:45:28 PM »

Sweet concept; looking forward to where this goes!

...I'm basically just posting here to follow the thread more easily...

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2011, 04:48:44 PM »

The arms seem a little short, and it evokes imagery of lightly stepping around broken glass; not sure if that's intentional! If you made the arms pump with the run as well, it'd be a lot more action-y.
ink.inc
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2011, 04:56:03 PM »

Thanks for the tip; I'm not really the best animator (hit here for examples of how embarassing my shit was when I was doing stuff for Indie Brawl merely a year ago) so any advice on the topic is really helpful.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2011, 05:48:20 PM »

whatever you do, don't run this through a german translator...
Well this sure doesn't look like an Elder Scrolls game.
What do you mean? I've never really played through an Elder Scrolls, so I don't quite catch your drift...

But I digress.  This is looking fucking awesome, John.  Hope you'll be able to implement everything as you see fit.  I can see this being a popular game for years to come.  Also, you can be sure I'm going to review it the day of release.
ink.inc
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2011, 06:10:28 PM »

Gracias, man.

MALE CHARACTER, NOW WITH 103% MOAR BEARD!

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2011, 01:30:43 AM »

maybe this has been discussed before, i don't know, but WHAT IF...

one of them just stops collaborating half way in the game?

i mean - if you give all players something that will bring them victory or eventually destroy them, somebody will sooner or later stop cooperating and waste everything, so both die.

like, you have to find stuff to survive, but you have to work together. so if one of them stops helping, both die and no one wins?

Rise of nations had the similar "problem" where you had nuclear weapons you could use to win, but losing player could easily abuse them in a situation where he could only defend and nuke everything to armageddon, so no one won. only "moral" victory for the before-armageddon-winning guy.

just throwing some thoughts around.

also, last time i worked with GM local and global connections worked the same way, so if you get LAN stuff done, you have global too.

ink.inc
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2011, 02:04:37 AM »

maybe this has been discussed before, i don't know, but WHAT IF...

one of them just stops collaborating half way in the game?

i mean - if you give all players something that will bring them victory or eventually destroy them, somebody will sooner or later stop cooperating and waste everything, so both die.

like, you have to find stuff to survive, but you have to work together. so if one of them stops helping, both die and no one wins?

Rise of nations had the similar "problem" where you had nuclear weapons you could use to win, but losing player could easily abuse them in a situation where he could only defend and nuke everything to armageddon, so no one won. only "moral" victory for the before-armageddon-winning guy.

just throwing some thoughts around.

Hmm. You bring up a good point. Both players would die if one player just stopped cooperating. Not too sure what I could do about folks just giving up on coop like that... Maybe I could have the AI director keep things a bit more balanced so that the loosing player doesn't gets too frustrated? Or just have more ways for the losing player to come back in general...

If folks are feeling uncooperative in general, I could just make a free play mode for folks who want to fuck around and murder each other.

...Another thing your post just made me think of: Like, say if one person had the food that the other player needed to win, and right before the other player could kill him, that person ate all the food.... In that case, maybe eating their body would provide more nourishment? We shall see.

also, last time i worked with GM local and global connections worked the same way, so if you get LAN stuff done, you have global too.

Thanks for the help! I'm pretty familiar with GM, but not with any of its networking capabilities. Still, my priorities lie with the 'two folks on one PC' setup; then I'll take care of online play later.

The game will feature limited jetpack use. Why? Because it's unrealistic for these little guys to be able to jump twice their height... and because it feels too stiff when the player can only jump a smidgen. The solution? Jetpacks. They'll come auto-installed on your players.

They'll only run for a second or two at first (and will operate like the jetpack in Cave Story). But by finding certain supplies, you can upgrade them. In fact, food and water aren't the only collectibles on the planet. Aside from equipment, you can find crystals (original, I know) which you can use to upgrade your tools (blasters, drills, energy saws, scanners, etc) which you can then use to find more food and water... and maybe explore just what Vergessen has to offer.

Also made a little edits here and there to the female's run animation.

EDIT: Just realized that her head looks mildly retarded... I'll have to change that.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 03:46:46 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2011, 04:39:28 AM »

Run animation looks better, but maybe a bit stiff? I think it would look better if you could get them leaning forward slightly as they run. Good stuff!  Hand Joystick
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2011, 05:19:35 AM »

...Another thing your post just made me think of: Like, say if one person had the food that the other player needed to win, and right before the other player could kill him, that person ate all the food.... In that case, maybe eating their body would provide more nourishment? We shall see.

this sound extremely morbid yes, but i was thinking of same "solution" - if one player stops cooperating and he dies, you eat him and survive (maybe also get his stuff), meaning win
(it's not like it never happened before: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguayan_Air_Force_Flight_571). This explanation is easy (or not? Evil ) to believe, so you can just include in your story, when telling the aftermath of the game.

So you force players to play and try to win, not just achieve a draw or something.

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2011, 05:44:01 AM »

We want playable demo!!!!

namre
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2011, 05:52:55 AM »

I have to admit. This sounds pretty cool. I can picture myself now playing with my brother and screwing him over and over. Wahaha.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 06:05:27 AM by Accidental Rebel » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2011, 06:11:47 AM »

John, try running with your arms stuck straight out like that. It doesn't work well. The person should be bending their elbows a bit more with the swing.  Smiley
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2011, 07:37:28 AM »

i'd be more excited about this game if i wasn't really skeptical about you actually finishing it. a lot of ambition here.

of course, i hope you do

ink.inc
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2011, 08:14:33 AM »

Yeah; luckily my classes are ridiculously easy so I can work on this all day every day, essentially. I've already gotten most of the basic framework of the engine done. So, here's hopin'.

My priorities are:

-starvation system
-permanent damage system
-two types of monster
-ai director
-exploration
-local 2 player

After that, I'll try to include:

-mining
-upgrade system
-everything else
-weather effects
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:34:47 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2011, 03:58:44 PM »

ITS.............

ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2011, 04:34:39 PM »

Yeeeessssssss...........

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic