Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411567 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 05:47:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDoooors
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Doooors  (Read 7000 times)
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 01, 2010, 12:35:28 PM »

GENTLEMEN.

It is time for another platformer-with-a-twist.
 My Word!

HMMMMYes.  Gentleman

This time I present you Doooors, a platformer that revolves around certain objects. Along with a lot of other stuff, to be honest. There are even a couple levels where doors do not play a very big role, but usually they do. Yes, the name is unimaginative but I think the game title gimmick was funny so I wanted to keep it.

In the game you're supposed to reach a mysterious blue jewel by means of picking up / throwing various items, ranging from non-goombas and springboards to doors. The game shouldn't require much platforming skill, but be warned: The Game May Be Extremely Difficult. As the designer it's hard to tell, but I'd be prepared to say that a couple of the later levels could be labeled 'very very difficult'. Take that as a challenge, brothers!

== CONTROLS == (These are explained in-game, too)
Arrow keys = move
S = jump and confirm
D = pick up and throw
D + Down = put down
D + up = throw upwards
R = restart
Esc = Quit
Note that the speed of thrown objects changes depending on your own momentum while throwing. That is, throwing stuff while walking makes them fly farther.

This time you don't have to bother with downloading anything, because I decided to try the brand-new Flash exporter of MMF 2 and made my first Flash Game! Unfortunately, the weaknesses of the exporter show: the game is very heavy.

Go GET IT AAA
Once again I got some amazing music by Noby, do check his youtube account!

If you want something solid to download, get the EXECUTABLEERGH
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 07:37:00 AM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 02:31:06 PM »

Wooh!

Just lost the huge message I was writing.  I'll try to recreate it!

General:
Graphics and audio are very charming.  Not-goombas are obviously very Braid-like, but they've got their own cute style.

It took me up to level 4 to realise that the presence of any object triggered the plinth-like things.

Didn't realise I could pick up buttons until the clue on level 5, but I needed to do that on level 4.

Sometimes felt that the player moves a bit slower, and more floaty than I'd have liked.

Level 3

The #2 doors seem to be redundant to solving the puzzle.  They can help you get back up on the starting platform if you fall off and take the door with you, but if you make that sort of mistake on later levels you just have to restart (so may as well teach that from the start?)

Level 4

Died a few times due to slipping into the laser beams of death.

Level 5

Not sure if it's the 'correct' solution, but I used the not-goomba to lower the spikes which meant I had to time my jump very carefully.

Level 6

Ended up solving this without using the orb.  I also never managed to reach the orb.  Did it by throwing the not-goomba at the trigger, which resulted in me being crushed by the closing gateway at the same moment I completed the level.

Level 7

Failed to complete this.  Just can't seem to reach the doors at all.  I'm able to jump over the spikes by using a not-goomba, but that doesn't seem to help me much.

Briefly tried the next couple of levels, but my brain's tired out.  I'll return later!
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 02:36:33 PM »

Looks pretty cool, but I can't jump high enough to get the diamond in level 2. What do I do?
deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 02:39:21 PM »

Very cool game, love the music. Bit tough at parts too. Classic Hempuli charming graphics as well.

why didn't you put this game on FGL?  Hand Money Right Hand Money Right
Aiursrage2k
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 03:57:13 PM »

If I  jump up, threw a door and tried to jump in it (while in the air), than the game pretty much freezes
[spoilers]Number 7 is easy. All you have to do is through the switch onto the right spot on the spikes than jump on the switch and run like the clappers [/spoilers]
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:42:57 PM by Aiursrage2k » Logged
Morroque
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 05:58:35 PM »

Now this is my type of game. I love making my brain hurt.

I am an out-of-the-box thinker by nature. Some of your puzzles so far I can clear without even using half of the available items. (There was one where I didn't even use any doors.) Ironically, I find the actual "think outside of the box" puzzle nearly impossible.
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 06:29:45 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

I saw the title and thought it sounded a bit like Doorror, a game I made a while back, and then noticed the doors in your game are not terribly different than mine were.  Course, this game is in no way like mine was.  In fact, it's really hard.  I can't even imagine the solution for half the ones I tried.  Thought of breaking people in slower?

If I  jump up, threw a door and tried to jump in it (while in the air), than the game pretty much freezes

I hear this also happens in the real world, though I never tried it.

-PENCERKOFF

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 06:58:03 PM »

Is there a way to kill yourself? Its possible to get stuck in that pit...

EDIT: ALso are you supposed to be able to use doors to set off switches, like gems can?

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 06:58:46 PM »

I think part of the reason it can be tricky is because of the slow/floaty movement. Feels like he needs to react quicker.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 11:34:35 PM »

Thank you for the comments. Now then, let's see...

The floatiness/slowness of the player movement is partially because I wanted to discourage people from trying to solve the puzzles by just trying to run very fast or performing super-precise movements. Remember, none of the puzzles should require absolutely perfect timing, and if you're struggling with having enough time to reach some gate or something, you're probably not on the right track. Though I'm quite sure some of the levels can be solved by rushing, too.

@Salt: I guess the door is a bit redundant, yeah. Dunno why I added it.

On level 5, you did the right thing but I don't think the timing has to be all that precise. But yeah, timing is needed to some extent here.

On level 6, I'll probably alter the level so that such feat isn't as easy to pull out. You're kinda supposed to get the orb, after all.

Level 7: jumping on two non-goombas makes you jump higher than jumping on just one.

@Tesselode: use the non-goomba to reach the diamond.

@Aiursrage2k: I'm aware that level 7 may be beatable by just rushing, but that's kinda boring so I can tell you that there's another way to do it.

Uh oh, it looks like you're right. Haven't encountered that kind of bugs before. Gotta look into it. Thanks for telling. Smiley

@MW: Glad to hear you enjoy it. It'd be cool to hear just what kinds of feats you're performing to seemingly sequence break. The one with "think out-of-the-box" is rather nasty, since it requires you to use the available items in a bit different way.

@dspencer: Yes and Yes. Press R to restart at any time, and the doors have to be used to push buttons/switches in some levels.

@Adamski: May be, but I tried to explain the floatiness a bit up there.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 12:22:19 AM »

This has happened to me twice, on the second level: I carry a door into the pit on the right, and try to throw it up into the alcove where the gem is. It falls back down, and then I find I can't move or jump, and have to restart the level.

Edit: I tried it again; to reproduce it, maybe you also need to go through the door at least once while it's sitting in the pit.

ortoslon
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 02:07:48 AM »

i want a downloadable

EDIT: not anymore
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 07:04:50 AM by ortoslon » Logged
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 02:51:19 AM »

This has happened to me twice, on the second level: I carry a door into the pit on the right, and try to throw it up into the alcove where the gem is. It falls back down, and then I find I can't move or jump, and have to restart the level.

Edit: I tried it again; to reproduce it, maybe you also need to go through the door at least once while it's sitting in the pit.

Aiursrage up there mentioned something similar, but I really can't reproduce this the way you tell it. I'm quite sure it's the same bug, though.

Ortoslon, I'll get that up later today. It'd be awesome if you could videotize this.

Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 03:23:41 AM »

Solution to level 6 is different to the Ludum Dare version? I can't seem to do it here (or I've forgotten what the solution was).

It'd be nice to have completion indicators on the level select screen.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 03:40:16 AM by Draknek » Logged

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 04:22:36 AM »

Freaking adorable graphical style, Hempuli. Not sure I love the grass entirely yet but I'm willing to try it on for size.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 07:33:38 AM »

Draknek: I agree! But as it is, MMF 2 can't handle external stuff very well for the flash exporter, as far as I know. Level 6 is the exact same level!

Geti: thanks! Smiley

OH, and I added a downloadable version!

slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 07:49:07 AM »

Throwing the doors is a pretty clever idea. The overly slow movement does make the game kinda painful/boring to play though. It think that's the only bad thing I have to say about it really.

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
nyarla
Level 0

what

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 09:09:43 AM »

Really clever game, I like it a lot.
Love how there are multiple solutions to some levels.

It is quite evilly difficult, and I have to admit I stopped playing yesterday because I couldn't figure out a level (I forget which one.. got up to 9 so far I think)...but I'll try it again. I want to know how to do it. Smiley
Gregory
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 09:23:28 AM »

Very cool concept, and well-executed.  I like how it's a more tactile version of the Portal-style concept; you're actually manipulating these doors as physical objects, which is pretty cool.  I laughed each time I was told I could pick something new up.

There was one thing that made me give up in frustration, though: the closing doors and electric walls killing me instantly.  Especially with the low friction, doing things like landing from a jump killed me a whole lot.  I think the game would be better if the electric walls were replaced with force fields that didn't kill you, but you couldn't walk through.  As for doors, if they just pushed you away when closing instead of killing you, it would lower the frustration level as well.

This game wants to be about thinking and puzzles, not twitchiness, as shown by its slow, floaty movement.  Frequent instant death isn't really compatible with that.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 10:13:52 AM »

Gregory: extremely good points. The reason I went for killing the player is actually because ensuring that the player can't glitch and get through doors and forcefields and such would have required a lot of testing and workarounds. The platformer engine I'm using doesn't treat wallswimming very well, unfortunately. I'll try to change the lasers into forcefields as you mentioned in the future, though.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic