Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411566 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 06:32:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingExpedition v0.1.8: Call for Playtesters
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Expedition v0.1.8: Call for Playtesters  (Read 1088 times)
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« on: September 05, 2010, 07:57:08 PM »

Hello everybody!

After one and a half month of development, the new version of "Expedition: The New World" is getting closer to release; this is a call for playtesters, if you are interested on trying out this version in order to assure its quality and request enhancements, just contact me!

Your critical feedback in this private version will be much appreciated, and will help make the public version as solid as it must be.

Check out some gameplay videos:

and

(Note: The current version has higher quality music already)

Following is a resumed list of changes in this new version:

* Graphics version, using an augmented 8x8 tileset made by Oryx
* Sailing has been completely rehashed, now you control your ships by rotating them, and the wind direction determines your speed.
* Combat system has been redone, now squads of units tackle each other during a Ranged, Mounted and Melee round. Units can be wounded or killed, depending on their resistance, weapons and armor.
* Storms now arise, grow and die in the middle of the ocean, destroying careless fleets.
* Native settlements now abound in the new world, with several different cultures, and they will respawn enemy expeditions when they are hostile. They can also be ransacked after the local population has been slaughtered.
* Weather, Wind direction, temperature and doldrums are simulated
* You can Chop forests for wood now
* Forests and mountains now block LOS, making exploration more interesting
* New tunes selection, including a remix by roguebard Jice

What is missing and will be implemented before the public v0.1.8
* In-game guides
* Documentation

Thank you!

VomitOnLino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 03:33:09 PM »

I played this for a while as it reminded me of older games back when, for example like "Hanse" and other sea-trading simulators.

What I found was more like a rouguelike but I liked it none the less. Some thoughs:

-You may want to give the player the ability to configure an expedition kit. Unloading everything needed to explore every time you go on land can get tiresome. There could be a slot for people manning the boat and another one for the explorers. Of course you could switch between them freely should you run out of explorers.

-I can definitely see some appeal here to set itself apart from other roguelikes. But for that I would probably expand on the trading aspect.

-What about settling down and settlements? Creating a pirate cove?

-Also I'd probably add that some tribes are waging war against others.Maybe you could even introduce a battle screen when large amount of fighters are involved? (Don't think RPG here but maybe more like - Pirates!) Basically add a layer of depth to the gameplay. Right now It quickly gets to the "Been there, done that." feeling.

-As you see what I'm saying here mostly is have a look around and see what similar games in this genre did. There are some pretty good ideas there and it's no shame to be inspired by them. Smiley

-Last but not least I'll be watching this one, I like "ship and exploration" games.

Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 04:56:23 PM »

I played this for a while as it reminded me of older games back when, for example like "Hanse" and other sea-trading simulators.
I googled, but found nothing about "Hanse"

-You may want to give the player the ability to configure an expedition kit. Unloading everything needed to explore every time you go on land can get tiresome. There could be a slot for people manning the boat and another one for the explorers. Of course you could switch between them freely should you run out of explorers.
That sounds interesting, may be allow different options when landing (Disembark, Land with soldiers, Land with explorers, Land with crew)

-I can definitely see some appeal here to set itself apart from other roguelikes. But for that I would probably expand on the trading aspect.
I am thinking on adding cargo missions, for now you can take the goods from the America people and sell it in Spain Tongue

-What about settling down and settlements? Creating a pirate cove?
You can build settlements now, although they are not very cool as of now Tongue But they grow in time and they grant you titles and gold.

-Also I'd probably add that some tribes are waging war against others.
The problem with that is that you may find the new world empty as you arrive Smiley

Maybe you could even introduce a battle screen when large amount of fighters are involved? (Don't think RPG here but maybe more like - Pirates!) Basically add a layer of depth to the gameplay.
Well, there's one already... sort of... this one?

Combat is pretty simple but I like how it's shaping up

Right now It quickly gets to the "Been there, done that." feeling.
Did the game get boring too quick? were you able to stablish many towns in the new world?

-As you see what I'm saying here mostly is have a look around and see what similar games in this genre did. There are some pretty good ideas there and it's no shame to be inspired by them. Smiley
Yeah, I took a lot of inspiration from the ancient Seven Cities of Gold Smiley

-Last but not least I'll be watching this one, I like "ship and exploration" games.

Thank you!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic