Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411572 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 09:37:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingShen Games - Cadet 227 (game for the blind)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Shen Games - Cadet 227 (game for the blind)  (Read 1287 times)
alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:31:14 AM »

Hey folks!

I've actually been working on this game, which is broken up into 13 parts, called Cadet 227.  I started it as a Kickstarter project a little while ago and was successfully funded.  The main premise is a "space horror" game that is told with no visuals, but only audio cues and five keyboard keys.  The point was to create an (hopefully) engaging experience that those without sight could enjoy.  If anything, I'd say it's an interactive radio show.

The funding allowed me to license and purchase sounds from sites as opposed to making them myself, thus adding a sense of professional quality to something I'd probably have ruined.

Anyhow, the first two/three chapters are up.  Let me know what you think and if there are any issues.

Link: http://www.shengames.com/pc/cadet227/

Kickstarter Site: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2113381686/cadet-227-an-action-adventure-game-for-the-visua?ref=users
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:40:26 AM by alexandersshen » Logged
yesfish
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 05:54:10 AM »

This game is very immersive, and the sound is well done, voice acting is good. It sounds like a real radio show.

I have one ingame issue and one technical issue. There's no pause button, while I was playing someone walked in the room and asked a question and I had to start over 'cause I missed the last thing said.

The technical issue is on the second .exe. It starts in full screen but for some reason it didn't come to the front of the window so I just saw windows explorer until I alt tabbed. Dunno if that's an issue with the flash player?

I'd like to see a larger path of choice in future chapters, I don't know if it'd work or not but being able to press the arrow keys and have different outcomes, or coming up against a wall walking one way vs going down a corridor another way. Whatever you decide I'm looking forward to the next chapters.
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 04:51:04 PM »

Definitely has potential from what I've se- err, heard.  I just worry it might be too basic to be enjoyable by the majority of players. Maybe I just didn't expect to have my hand held by the computer at much.
I could definitely imagine chasing or running away from sounds and being able to tell if there's a wall or object in front of you based on the sound of the air, though I'm not sure on the limitations of 3D sound and how to make a sound seem like its in front of you or behind you.
QCPolmer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 12:02:12 PM »

Though the ability to interact with objects and walls, and navigating via sound has potential, what you currently have is terrific (highly linear, yes, but that might not detract from it).

Great job.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic