Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411572 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 10:40:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDetweet: Bloody Twitter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Detweet: Bloody Twitter  (Read 1161 times)
ShawnClapper
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2010, 04:02:49 PM »

http://thecardchest.com/#detweet <<-- Click here to play!

My first game I've programmed since the Apple IIgs!  You search for a term on twitter, which determines the enemies and difficulty of the game.  Click on a built tower for upgrade options...

A few things on the game:
The interface could use some work.  Some of it was thrown together last minute.  One of the first things I'll be working on, depending on whether I still have a place to live at the end of this month or not Smiley.

About the donations:
I decided to try and go with a donation model for game updates.  That way everyone ends up getting the full game in the end.  If I could somehow survive and work on this game for free, believe me I would, because more than anything I have really enjoyed programming it.

Hope you have a good time with it, and suggestions are welcome!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 04:35:48 PM by ShawnClapper » Logged
Nix
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 04:21:39 PM »

This is really cool! So those are real tweets?

I had a bit of a problem displaying the game though. I'm on a netbook so my resolution is relatively low and the entire stage wouldn't fit in the browser, but since there were no scroll bars available there really wasn't anything I could do. I couldn't scroll down to the good stuff.

Edit: Oop, didn't see the link.

Second edit: Oh, alright. I guess I don't need to scroll down to play, but some scroll bars would be nice.
ShawnClapper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 04:23:56 PM »

Yep.  You can play it now actually at the link there.  It's just missing a larger weapon/level/character selection.
ShawnClapper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 04:28:21 PM »

I had a bit of a problem displaying the game though. I'm on a netbook so my resolution is relatively low and the entire stage wouldn't fit in the browser, but since there were no scroll bars available there really wasn't anything I could do. I couldn't scroll down to the good stuff.
Ahh yea.  I kind of ditched the typical 800x600 model for a minimum of 1024 width and more visuals (tweets shown exiting) on wider screens.  It auto-resizes a bit but I should add in something with maybe the controls over the play area or something if the screen size is too small.
Trying it now with the full screen button (bottom of game) is probably your best bet.
SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 10:51:44 PM »

I don't care much for tower defense games so i won't comment on that too much, but i do like the concept of mowing down people's tweeting with machine guns contrasted with those cute death noises they make. Unfortunately, not a lot of people seem to tweet about socks so my first run didn't last long.

It worked pretty well as long as i didn't chose an unpopular tweet and it was mildly entertaining. The placement of the towers and what gets upgraded in each is a strategic decision and does affect the outcome.

All in all, i'd say this is a good starting point.

The button to build the towers felt like it was off screen to the point that i didn't even this it was part of the game! You said the interface needed work and i hope that's part of what you meant.

ShawnClapper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 12:26:31 AM »

Yea, I completely agree with the tower build button.  The problem with the interface currently is I made the mistake of building the game before the interface.  As in I was testing everything with the code all the way up to the end and at that point had to kind of cram buttons and whatnot around the game.
Plus it's not really "slick" like I would like it.  Right now it's a fairly solid game engine (tested against thousands of nonending blue guys) but needs a bit of polish which I will get to around the same time I add the new weapons.  All in the plans for the future though.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic