Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 10:16:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper Bunny Land (demo available)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Super Bunny Land (demo available)  (Read 13051 times)
HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 10:55:09 AM »

Revisiting an old topic, I'm trying to make the screen less crowded and make the foreground stand out more from the background.

I drew a new background, but I'm having trouble deciding whether it's better or not.

Before:

After:
Drew trees and bushes and desaturated the hell out of it.

Opinions/advice? Shrug

Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 02:06:30 PM »

What a helpful thread you linked! Not sure how much my opinion helps because I know very little about this type of thing, but I like the 1st one better - not sure the 2nd one is the right solution with this game. Can't say much more than that.

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 02:54:51 PM »

Woah, I'm on my laptop now and the background in the 2nd pic suddenly looks way different (much darker)! And with different I mean uglier, wth

Thanks achild, now that I'm looking at this again, I think I'll have another try tomorrow.

errik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 06:18:05 AM »

Hi Hernan!

I like this idea, funny Smiley

I think the bushes in the new background is to brownish, making me think of autumn. If you made them a bit greener I think I would prefer this background.

About the flower, I think it would be more readable that you could actually run under it if it "jumped" instead of stretching into the air, if you get what I mean  Roll Eyes
HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 08:46:12 AM »

I think the bushes in the new background is to brownish, making me think of autumn. If you made them a bit greener I think I would prefer this background.
Thanks for telling me. That's the kind of stuff I can't see.

About the flower, I think it would be more readable that you could actually run under it if it "jumped" instead of stretching into the air, if you get what I mean  Roll Eyes
I know what you mean. However I think I'll leave it like this and add a coin pattern below the plant when you first encouter is.

Eatingburger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 09:01:53 AM »

Yo, I'm looking for some feedback.

Android APK (7 MB) <- recommended version to try
The install permissions were kinda terrifying. Game installed and ran fine on my Samsung Q (android 2.36), but the game's resolution was flipped relative to my screen, so I could only see a really stretched top-half of the game, with a bunch of black to the right.

Quit the game, rotated my phone, but couldn't find the app in my app list; reinstalled, plays fine now. Only tiny bits of choppy-ness, hasn't crashed yet.

In terms of the game itself:
*Animations are fantastic.
*Normally in platformers I can easily get a "feel" for how far I can jump. Its not happening so far in this game Sad
*I'd personally prefer the mushrooms to just bounce you like a springboard, rather than requiring an extra jump.
*Game feels really slow at the start.

The bunnygirl should have an  Facepalm animation if you manage die while she's still on-screen. Also, some of the clouds should be bushes.
HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 09:35:29 AM »

The install permissions were kinda terrifying. Game installed and ran fine on my Samsung Q (android 2.36), but the game's resolution was flipped relative to my screen, so I could only see a really stretched top-half of the game, with a bunch of black to the right.
Marmalade SDK Tired They fucked up something in v6.0, maybe they fixed it in v6.1?
Also the permissions are the default settings in Marmalade, I was... too lazy to change them.

*Normally in platformers I can easily get a "feel" for how far I can jump. Its not happening so far in this game Sad
That's understandable. It certainly takes a while to get used to the auto-running.

*I'd personally prefer the mushrooms to just bounce you like a springboard, rather than requiring an extra jump.
*Game feels really slow at the start.
Do you mean you should automatically jump high? And about the slow start: I may try to tweak it again, though after implementing some different modes to see how it goes.

The bunnygirl should have an  Facepalm animation if you manage die while she's still on-screen. Also, some of the clouds should be bushes.
Great idea Cheesy
And the cloud/bush, I removed it Shrug (see oldest mockup)

Eatingburger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 10:10:24 AM »

Do you mean you should automatically jump high?
Yep.

Also, I love the combo meter  :D
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 11:08:02 AM »

Hey, the game looks really nice!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Are you going to implement PC highscores anytime soon?

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 04:45:28 AM »

Hey, the game looks really nice!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Are you going to implement PC highscores anytime soon?
Thanks, probably not though Shrug

Also, I think I got the background where I want it, even got to use the background I thought i couldn't use

Needs some tweaking and cleaning up, but I think I'll go for this. Thanks for the helpful feedback Smiley

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 05:35:51 AM »

It's looking mighty pretty! Kiss

Have you considered lowering the contrast between the stripey land texture? Personally I think it's too strong (also hard on the eyes) and doesn't quite match the rest of the color scheme. I'll try out the demo when I get home. I'm thinking it's mighty good.

Conker534
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 12:07:46 PM »

I love this art.
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 03:32:57 PM »

looks awesome! sounds awesome..... it must be awesome!

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2012, 10:49:51 AM »

Hello, it's been a couple of weeks since I last updated. I've mostly been programming, so there wasnt a lot to show.

Here's what I've been up to lately:
  • Redesigned the main character to look less like Mario
  • Menu screens! (shop, result/gameover, several dialog screens)
  • Scoreloop integration: that includes twitter and facebook integration. Problem: scoreloop is broken for the latest version of Marmalade, so I had to switch to an older SDK for now Sad Not to mention there's more things broken in Scoreloop Sad Sad Sad
  • Design items/equipment to fill the shop with

This is the kind of stuff that really depresses me, because I hate working on menu screens. It's not completely finished, but I'm done with most menu screens, such as the shop screen where you can buy food/items/equipment:

It just needs to be filled with items.
The shop screen ties back into the bussiness model, because I'm doing the typical f2p on this, which I believe is best for this type of game. There's so much extra work that comes with f2p, so brb gonna go kill myself.

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2012, 07:40:47 AM »

ninjas

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2012, 12:58:44 PM »

I think what pisses me off the most about this demo as it stands are the mushrooms. The whole "it should just launch you up" thing was mentioned before, and it is valid, especially in this kind of game where you can't afford to miss a single jump, but what really gets me is the mushrooms when they spawn at the beginning of the run. If you encounter one before you've picked up speed, it is physically impossible to make the jump.
HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2012, 02:53:58 PM »

Yeah... that's my fault, certain jumps with the mushrooms are impossible, because I didn't test the obstacles properly Roll Eyes (also the demo is really outdated by now)

The other thing about the mushrooms: I did change it to "automatic launching up" after it was mentioned. However, I wasn't happy about it and I realized why that is. Since you can't control the running speed in this game, the only thing at your disposal is the jump strength. So I turned the mushrooms back to normal, because otherwise it breaks a fundamental game mechanic.

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2012, 10:32:35 AM »

Obligatory halloween update

Still needs some refinement in the animation though

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2012, 06:33:29 AM »

I'm redoing the main menu screen. I initially thought it would be a nice idea to run around a world and change screens/select options that way. But I had too many problems: after adding more background, the screen went really choppy. Pixel art and rotations don't mix. And there was just too much waiting between options. Tired

So instead I'm now doing a Mario-esque worldmap with options
(mockup)

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2012, 03:41:58 PM »

Hello. Yeah I'm still working on my little endless mario runner.
It's been a long while since I updated. The reason for that is that I've been changing the gameplay a lot.

It's not an "auto-scroller" anymore... uh it's kind of hard to explain. But the game now allows you to brake and control your own speed. I did this because I hope to add a little more depth to the game. I couldn't come up with a lot of platforming challenges if the player is constantly running at 1 speed. Almost anything will seem unfair if you can't dodge because you have no control. I'm a lot happier now with the change. I can add a lot more nasty obstacles and enemy placements Evil
I'm gonna try to upload a new demo soon.

Well, updates are boring without screenshots so here:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic