Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 08:51:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper Bunny Land (demo available)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Super Bunny Land (demo available)  (Read 13050 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2012, 05:23:42 PM »

I like the idea of this - an infinite randomly placed platformer. Very interesting. The graphics look pretty slick, too.

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2013, 02:33:18 PM »

Thanks solarlune.

Ugh, almost done with making the demo. I actually did upload a demo to testflight, got a bunch of bugs reported so I'm fixing those first. Also Marmalade SDK is still having trouble with screen orientation on Android pfff, really annoying.

And I want to make a title screen... I still haven't made one...
I did make an icon though. I'll work on it more later, for now I gotta poop out a title screen.

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 07:00:01 AM »

OK demo is ready. I shortened the game title to Super Bunny Land Shrug
Anyway, I also updated the first post with all relevant info.

Links:
iOS - Please use Testflight: http://tflig.ht/OLZf5P
Android - Download APK file
Windows - Download zip file

Version notes
*Windows version is not recommended (features missing and many touch buttons)
*Besides, it doesn't make a lot of sense playing an auto-running game on Windows?
*Windows keys:
Z - Fire
X - Jump,
Left arrow - brake
**Android apk is deployed using the default Marmalade deployment, meaning it has heaps of unnessecary permissions
***iOS: will look like ass on iPad retina

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 10:08:45 AM »

Some quick feedback:

I think there's some major input lag on the Windows version.  

The logs are kind of wierd, some of them fall and some of them don't, no way to tell the difference.

The rocks in the background look like you can collide with them, might want to make them less visible.

The art style is all over the place, needs some sort of consistency.

A fullscreen option would be nice.
HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2013, 12:09:52 PM »

Hey, thanks for the feedback.
-Input lag: I haven't noticed anything, don't know what could be wrong...
-Logs: They are intended to be traps, so you're not supposed to see which ones fall. I sorta took cues from Adventure Island.
-Rocks: I will try to reduce the contrast.
-Art style: could you elaborate? Do you mean the fact that I did not use pixelart in the typography and title? If it's pixelart itelf, well, I didn't go for any particular style...
-Full screen: I could... but I'm not planning to do a PC release.

Since I'm writing now, I will do an update-post too:
  • I reworked yet another mechanic, which is the power-up system. According to tester feedback, it was really hard to power-up from grabbing carrots. So instead of the regular "Mario"  power up system (small mario -> large mario -> super mario) it now goes small -> super, the trade off is that the power-up is limited in time and you will transform back to large eventually.
  • I'm aiming for a release at the end of next month. I'm cutting down on planned features, because if I look at this realistically, I'll probably spend several more months on this game. I mean, this project is already way overdue because I keep redoing game mechanics. Tired
  • Hacking together a trailer now...

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2013, 12:42:10 PM »

-Logs: They are intended to be traps, so you're not supposed to see which ones fall. I sorta took cues from Adventure Island.

Well, even if that's where you copied the idea from, it's still a bad idea IMO.

Art style: could you elaborate? Do you mean the fact that I did not use pixelart in the typography and title? If it's pixelart itelf, well, I didn't go for any particular style...

The typography and title is one thing, the art for the buttons in the store is another.  Also, the pixel art is scaled to different sizes of pixels.  Some are 2x, some are 4x, etc.  Looks disjointed with different pixel scales all over the place.
HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2013, 01:36:42 PM »

Well, even if that's where you copied the idea from, it's still a bad idea IMO.
Hmm, I don't really see why that's such a bad idea? I suppose I could go back to an older idea where the log would crack before completely disappearing.

The typography and title is one thing, the art for the buttons in the store is another.  Also, the pixel art is scaled to different sizes of pixels.  Some are 2x, some are 4x, etc.  Looks disjointed with different pixel scales all over the place.
I can agree about the UI, but aren't you just nitpicking about x4, it's only in the logo intro. Besides, 2x is only when the resolution exceeds 960x640.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:41:20 PM by HernanZh » Logged

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2013, 12:53:40 PM »

I made some gameplay trailers. First one is the endless runner mode, 2nd ons is a DLC level.

DISHTY
Level 0

PUNCH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »

Really enjoying the demo except there does seem to be something wrong with the jump button. Most of the time it's fine but I'd say about 1 time out of 10 (though it seems to vary in frequency) the jump button just won't respond when I hit it. I've tried the X button and using the on-screen button with the mouse and that seems to make no difference.

Gets a little bit frustrating after a while when you're dying mostly because the jump button isn't reacting when you do.

And regarding the falling logs, I actually quite like that - it doesn't really add much to the game though considering they only really affect you if you stop running on that log. Still, there's nothing wrong with the idea itself.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2013, 09:29:33 PM »

I love the SNES-like aesthetic of the whole game. I have to agree though, some of the graphics clash with eachother, like the GAME OVER text for instance. If it's not uniform, it tends to look a bit out of place. On the bright side, the rest of the graphics look good overall, and the gameplay is fun and entertaining. It could use some original sound effects, though.

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2013, 07:52:00 AM »

DISHTY: Thanks, I will try to figure out what's going on with the buttons. I suspect it's a lag thing, not sure though. Someone suggested that holding the jump button should make the bunny continuously jump. Maybe that could help, dunno if it would work out.

Rakugaki-Otoko: Thank you. I will work on the UI and text graphics. The sounds are already replaced by now.

Anyway, as you can see from the gameplay trailers, there is a new mode called Challenge mode. It was previously called Adventure mode. I changed the icon in the overworld accordingly

Reason for this change is because I realized how unrealistic my previous idea was. The idea was that when you select this icon, you walk out of the screen and go into a Mario-like overworld where you travel through levels. I think it was too ambitious and it would be more fitting if I'd make this a seperate game instead of incorporating it in here. The idea of playable levels remains though. Now you simply download new levels (aka challenges) and pick them from a select screen. The levels will be free to download (they'll cost in-game coins to unlock)

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2013, 12:16:33 AM »

I'd say the continuous jump idea would fix the problem, since if you hold the button before the bunny lands, it'll still make him jump.

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2013, 01:07:56 PM »

I updated the demo to the newest version. Though I haven't worked on most of the feedback yet, except the jumping thing. But it was an important update , since I (finally) replaced all the temporary sounds and music. Other things in the demo include the 5 first levels of Challenge mode (very easy) and some speed optimizations. Oh yeah, and the power-ups now have to be unlocked before you can buy them.

The game sometimes really lags on iphone 4. I have yet to figure out what causes it, it seems quite random at times. Pretty worrisome.

Also I forgot to thank DISHTY for writing something on Indie Statik, so thanks!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:14:23 PM by HernanZh » Logged

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2013, 08:27:59 AM »

Hurray! I managed to fix that speed problem I was having on iOS. Struggled with it for quite a while so I'm really happy Corny Laugh

errik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2013, 11:32:02 AM »

game looks nice, one thing I thought of in the gameplay movies are the dark green crate/blocks, I think they should be brighter so they match the other graphics in the foreground Smiley
HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2013, 02:04:10 PM »

Yo, I finished the game.
It'll be out on App Store and Google Play on May 7th. I made a

too.

I haven't updated this devlog in a long while because.... I was pretty much doing the "final touches" for several weeks Tired I also cut some things because I got soooo tired of working this game.

In the end I didnt really work out some of the feedback I got, I'm sorry about that. For example, the comments on how some background elements look like foreground objects (the rocks and trees), I fiddled with them but I just cant figure out how to place them more in the back without desaturating the fuck out of them. Plus, like I said, I just dont wanna work on this anymore Shrug

So, I'm changed the icon to "Done" and the game will come out in a few weeks
Let's party Beer!

Conker534
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2013, 09:55:22 PM »

Well congrats! :D
HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2013, 03:41:01 AM »

Thanks Conker!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 02:00:02 AM by HernanZh » Logged

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2013, 02:05:14 AM »

Hi, I wanted to let everyone know the game is available for free now on iOS

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot to mention the game is also released on Blackberry haha
http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/29272895/
(who owns a blackberry anyway...)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 02:13:54 AM by HernanZh » Logged

Purcy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2013, 02:46:34 PM »

I downloaded it and it crashed upon opening Sad (instantly)
I have an iPhone 5 running ios7

Edit: After tryint to open it about ten times it finally worked haha.
Pros are graphics & bunny animation. Cons are just some things seem unpolished. The camera is a bit weird sometimes as well.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 02:54:59 PM by Purcy » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic