Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 09:11:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Collective - A Roguelike inspired Tactical RPG
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The Collective - A Roguelike inspired Tactical RPG  (Read 9932 times)
aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 03:27:07 PM »

super neat, gamesworkshop style stats. very interested

Razzek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 03:46:58 PM »

super neat, gamesworkshop style stats. very interested

Yep! Beer! This game was going to be a 1:1 Mordheim clone. However, I found out the hard way that Mordheim just isn't Mordheim without miniatures, dice, and pen and paper.

So I figured I would change the simplistic Mordheim mechanics, into something more like dwarf fortress..

Today I've been working non stop today on the combat system. A swift stab to the eye might not be a fatal blow, however, he will surely collapse from the pain. Unless he happens to be really tough, or be undead and have "No Pain"!

Also programmed in bleeding. Slashing and stabbing weapons will have a chance to cause bleeding. A good strike to a limb has a chance to draw blood, from a small trickle, to a burst artery. Even though your warrior might look like hes in great fighting condition, if you don't give a torn artery medical attention quickly;  the lack of blood pressure will send that unit out of action.

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 08:16:56 PM »

that's awesome, I've been learning unity lately with a mordheim/necromunda inspired game in mind. looking forward to this very much

Razzek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2013, 09:03:31 PM »

that's awesome, I've been learning unity lately with a mordheim/necromunda inspired game in mind. looking forward to this very much

Good stuff man, make a thread so we can see your progress

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2013, 10:35:02 PM »

once I get the basics down will do. I'm still in student mode

nss_aries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2013, 05:18:29 AM »

I like the way you use pixels, clean, neat and organized. And I like the color scheme, you definetely know what you're doing. I'm waiting to see tasty stuff on the actual sprites and sceneries Smiley

Razzek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 03:12:23 PM »

Been relatively awhile since my last update.

Big changes today.

COMBAT CHANGES:

First off I must say that the combat system has been changed. After a few days of testing, I wasn't getting what I wanted out of the original system. For the scope of this project, handling body functions independently was proving too much to handle. Making unit sprites at this scale for each bodypart was was too tedious, and wasn't worth the effort. I plan on finishing this game within a year, so dealing with that would take too long.

Instead, I plan on creating a more balanced combat system that focuses less on RNG swings, and more on tactics. In rougelike terms, I'm switching from dwarf fortress style combat to crawl stone soup combat. That isn't to say I'm going to remove everything from the original. I'm still going to keep pain, and survival aspects, its just not going to be like it was before.

TILE CHANGES:

I totally redid how tiles and cliffs were drawn. Now they are independent of each other.
This also makes it easier for special cases like at the edges of the cliff. If you recall, previously it was just a straight line, which looked like shit.

And please, keep in mine that sprites are really far down on the to do list. I'm trying to get the game made before I spend anytime making the game look good. So all the sprites you see are just really quick mock ups to test functionality.   

Anyways enough of that.

Pictures first:

The same scene in the editor. The editor will come with the game if you want to make your own maps for multiplayer or whatever. You just pretty much click what tile  and what cliff/wall you want then click away. All the special cases are handled automatically.

Razzek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2013, 03:52:17 PM »

Created some sprites today.

Its hard to tell in this picture, but the wooden tiles are the roofs of houses. They just happen to be using the same sprite as the floor texture right now. I'll make some roof specific textures later.

Razzek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 05:09:07 PM »

More progress on sprite work and object handling.

I haven't got the top of the roof texture done yet. You can go inside the buildings and go up stairs etc.

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 06:31:39 PM »

Looking really good! How far off are we from a video showing early gameplay, do you figure? Smiley

Razzek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2013, 06:43:48 PM »

Looking really good! How far off are we from a video showing early gameplay, do you figure? Smiley

Thanks! I hope by the end of this month I'll have something presentable for everyone

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 07:28:24 AM »

Nice. Whenever you've got it up, shoot me an email--I want to write about this! Wink

Razzek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2013, 12:08:59 PM »

Haven't updated in awhile.

I've been working on a random map generator.

Its a mixture of modular pieces(houses, roads etc) on-top of a Perlin noise heightmap. This is just my first go at it and I'm sure I'll get better results after tweaking some things.

Next up, I'm going to be creating a battle simulator. Something where I can watch two or more AI armies fight each other to test the AI.

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2013, 12:27:46 PM »

I like the look of that already.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
Razzek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2013, 01:30:42 PM »

One more pic of the day.

Two AI armies fighting on randomly generated battlefield. To my surprise I've still had no problems with the AI.

Razzek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2013, 08:40:48 PM »

Hello TIG,

It's been awhile since my last update, but that's partially because I've been out of town for a week.

I've been sort of having an identity crisis with the game, but I think I finally know what I'm going to do. Originally I was planning on having a very limited and linear world map, but now I'm experimenting on a bigger scale.

So the game will basically be two parts. One part played from the overworld and the other part played in tactics mode.

The overworld will consist of two main areas, one area controlled by the Covenant of Man, and the other is an untamed (and currently unnamed) wasteland.

The Covenant of Man will consist of many different cities, each with a faction/guild presence. For example, the Witch Hunters, the Moon Merchants, the Sown Cloaks etc. And they basically for the most part operate out of that city.

While in the Covenant you are basically safe from harm. But once you wander outside the Covenant's protection, you are free game for other factions along with beasts, bandits, the undead, ogres, and much more.

The objective of the game is to explore the unknown with your factions support. The deeper you go, the more mystery you will uncover. There will be dungeons,tombs, boss encounters, and more.

Here's a really rough screen shot of what I got done so far.

Actually, I just got an idea to maybe just have one LARGE city surrounded by uninhabitable land. Maybe its because I've been re-watching attack on titan?

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 08:55:47 PM »

Two AI armies fighting on randomly generated battlefield. To my surprise I've still had no problems with the AI.

I'd like to see video of that.

Razzek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2013, 06:55:53 PM »

Yeah, I've been trying to get to a point to where I'm comfortable recording a video. I just want the project to be a certain point before doing so.

Anyways, I've totally redone a chunk of the game to handle multiple selections. You can now click and drag to move groups of units.

Also, not shown is that I changed the way turns work. Instead of alternating between players, it now works like in final fantasy tactics but on a squad scale instead of an individual scale.

A squad's average initiative is used to determine turn order.

It's still pretty buggy and very un-optimized, but not bad for a days work.

antoniodamala
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 07:47:17 PM »

Yeah, I've been trying to get to a point to where I'm comfortable recording a video. I just want the project to be a certain point before doing so.

Anyways, I've totally redone a chunk of the game to handle multiple selections. You can now click and drag to move groups of units.

Also, not shown is that I changed the way turns work. Instead of alternating between players, it now works like in final fantasy tactics but on a squad scale instead of an individual scale.

A squad's average initiative is used to determine turn order.

It's still pretty buggy and very un-optimized, but not bad for a days work.

Cool, are those team commands going to have a formation whatsoever?
Razzek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2013, 09:33:54 AM »

Cool, are those team commands going to have a formation whatsoever?

I'm going to start experimenting with a link/assist system. Where units standing adjacent to each other will give a bonus. Like maybe, they will increase a stat, or maybe counter attack attacking units.

So yeah, formations will be important.

Working on squad UI right now. Also in the process of phasing out stam and just merging it with action points.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic