Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411642 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 06:00:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsElemenTale - Sidescroller Beat'em up
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: ElemenTale - Sidescroller Beat'em up  (Read 550 times)
DanielSnd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: August 17, 2013, 03:14:12 PM »

ElemenTale

Who? Why?

Hi there Smiley My name is Daniel, I'm a 24 years old 3D Artist that a month or so ago decided to try and make a game for the funs of it. I've worked with UDK before (Doing a 3D Animation freelance) so I thought of looking into unrealscripting and starting a "simple" project to learn. The more I learned, the more ideas I put into this project, and soon enough my "simple" "to learn" project turned into a more complex project in my mind. (I've been writing about the process since the start, so if you would like to see how it all started and me writing about each step, you can check http://snddev.tumblr.com/ :]). Some friends eventually joined me helping me with audio/music/3d, but it's mostly being developed by me and my girlfriend.

What?

The project is now a Sidescroller Beat'em up with RPG elements. I want to create 4 different playable characters, each representing 1 element (Ice/Water, Plant/Earth, Fire, Wind). My story idea behind that is that in this world these beings are responsible for protecting nature, and worshiped by the people. But strange forces (I'm calling it "Corruption") start appearing all over, converting people and destroying the environment. Now, I'm not a writer or anything like that, but to have this simple story idea in my mind helps me figure out what levels to build, what enemies to create and so on. Even if most of what I have in mind for the story doesn't get explicitly told to the player. (Not sure if I'll even have dialogue... we'll see XD)

So, how is it going so far?

Right I have implemented chain combo mechanics, block/dodge, special skills (using energy that is gained from attacks), exp/level system with 3 stats that influence on the gameplay and an endless survival arena mode, with increasing difficulty/number of enemies per wave.

We're now working on the campaign/story levels. We plan on having at least 3 levels on each of the 5 planned areas  (Ice/Fire/Earth/Wind/Corruption) with 1 big boss per area. We want to have 4 playable elementals, with different playstyles/combos/skills. Other future plans are the addition of Pets, Weapon/armor loot, local coop and possibly Online 4-players coop (Which I'm not sure I can implement with my current programming knowledge... but I'll try my best.)

So, how did you got here?

I've been searching a lot for some game design articles/discussions on some Fighting Game/Beat'em up topics, and most of my google results brought me to this forums, where I found lots of useful information/ideas, so I decided to register. Then I found this "DevLog" section and thought it could be interesting to keep a devlog here too Smiley I would love to hear some feedbacks/comments/suggestions ^^

Can I see some video?

This is a video I recorded at 1 month of development. I wanted to record and upload unedited game footage, to be able to look at it back later and see how the game was looking at 1 month time, bugs and all xD

Well, I guess that's pretty much it ^^
Cheers!
Dan

Oh, PS. Today I also started an indiedb page for the project
(Saw this image on some of the devlogs and went to check out what that was all about XD )
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 03:24:29 PM by DanielSnd » Logged

icompose
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 02:20:25 PM »

Looks cool/fun.  Would you like it scored?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic