Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411592 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 06:43:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTikotep Adventure - [PLAYABLE DEMO] - 2D adventure platformer
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Tikotep Adventure - [PLAYABLE DEMO] - 2D adventure platformer  (Read 60151 times)
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: June 23, 2015, 06:35:13 AM »

I am trying to improve my pixel skills as I really need cool wolves for the game. I have some IA but sprite are still missing.

Follow us on playfield
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: June 24, 2015, 01:37:49 AM »

Today I found a really interesting article about camera in 2D games

the article

Follow us on playfield
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: June 24, 2015, 08:28:37 AM »

Today I worked on a new enemy, some rats are infesting the caves.

The AI is quite simple, the rats are wandering slowly, but if the player approach they start to chase him until he goes far away.

Follow us on playfield
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: June 25, 2015, 05:22:51 AM »

I added some feedback in the rat fight

I hope it is not too much  Smiley

Follow us on playfield
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 25, 2015, 05:50:25 AM »

For my taste it is too much. I think the game looks rather cute and the blood looks out of place. In my eyes, it's great if a developer is able to create a game without blood and violence. If you don't "miss" these things while playing, it's good game design, imho. Do you want kids to play the game (if yes, at which age)?

The screenshake implies that these arrows are explosive. You already have feedback in form of blood and knockback. Screenshake is okay, if the player is being hit, but i would not use it for enemies.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 25, 2015, 06:03:55 AM »

Pretty much everything Zorg said. We have enough murderscapes
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: June 26, 2015, 06:14:38 AM »

Hi guys, thank you very much for your comments, it help me to stay focus on the important things.

For my taste it is too much. I think the game looks rather cute and the blood looks out of place. In my eyes, it's great if a developer is able to create a game without blood and violence. If you don't "miss" these things while playing, it's good game design, imho.

Tikotep will take place in a quite mature story (cross over between blackthorn in term of atmosphere and mass effect for the story). Perhaps the blood seems too much at this stage of the game, I could replace it with something black instead of red (animals are infested by a dark substance from an other world that make them mad and agressive).

The story can be changed a little bit to remove violent animations or perhaps an option can do the trick to play with or without blood.

Do you want kids to play the game (if yes, at which age)?

I think the game won't be suitable for young kids (mainly because of it's story, (Blackthorne is rated for teen)).

The screenshake implies that these arrows are explosive. You already have feedback in form of blood and knockback. Screenshake is okay, if the player is being hit, but i would not use it for enemies.

you are totally right, I need to rework this part

Follow us on playfield
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 26, 2015, 07:04:23 AM »

I think the game won't be suitable for young kids (mainly because of it's story, (Blackthorne is rated for teen)).
I wonder how you're going to market this game in the near future. Blackthorne had a mature visual but your game has the innocent feeling. Children would love playing this. Even the game title does sound suitable for young kids.
Tikotep Adventure , could be a cartoon for kids.

Now it sounds like your pixel art was just limited by your skills.
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: June 26, 2015, 08:49:55 AM »

I wonder how you're going to market this game in the near future. Blackthorne had a mature visual but your game has the innocent feeling. Children would love playing this. Even the game title does sound suitable for young kids.
Tikotep Adventure , could be a cartoon for kids.

Wow you are right, I will seriously think about that, It will need a little rewriting in the story, but sure I can get back to something more innocent and keep focused on the "adventure" feeling of the game. Let's say that I will replace Blackthorn by Treasure adventure game in the source of inspiration.

Now it sounds like your pixel art was just limited by your skills.

Hey I am learning pixel art with this project Shrug

Thank you all by the way for your feedback.

"and now for something completely different", I concentrated on the gameplay feeling and tweaked the wall jump stuffs

I am quite happy with the feeling once the gamepad in hands.

Follow us on playfield
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 26, 2015, 01:03:07 PM »

Wow you are right, I will seriously think about that, It will need a little rewriting in the story, but sure I can get back to something more innocent and keep focused on the "adventure" feeling of the game. [...]

It's great that you are seriously considering this. Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right It's your game, after all, you have a vision for it. But it would be very sad to exclude children from playing this beautiful game by adding too much blood/violence which seems completely unnecessary for your gameplay, from my point of view.

Wall jumps: Does Tikotep stick to the wall or is it possible to leave the wall with arrow keys?
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: June 26, 2015, 02:18:26 PM »

When I started working on Tikotep, I was thinking about mixing indian ambiance with sci-fi as I really enjoyed the stories in games like Prey or Blackthorne, these games have great atmospheres in my opinion. But I think I can create this kind of feeling in a softer way.

Regarding the wall jump, it is possible to leave the wall by pressing the other direction, the player will have 300 ms to decide if he really want to jump or not, I mean, Tikotep will stick to the wall for 300 ms more when the player release the wall direction or press the oposite direction. I would like to achieve some kind of ninja feeling with this.

Follow us on playfield
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: June 26, 2015, 06:29:57 PM »

Love the gifs on the first page Smiley Keep up the nice work

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 26, 2015, 11:19:25 PM »

When I started working on Tikotep, I was thinking about mixing indian ambiance with sci-fi as I really enjoyed the stories in games like Prey or Blackthorne, these games have great atmospheres in my opinion. But I think I can create this kind of feeling in a softer way.
Have you seen Close encounters of the Third Kind?
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: June 27, 2015, 08:34:33 AM »

@eigenbom welcome ! I have read your develog entirely, very great project Hand Thumbs Up Left

@JobLeonard yep I have seen "Close encounters of the Third Kind", it was a very good film with great sci-fi atmosphere.

Follow us on playfield
lobstersteve
« Reply #194 on: June 27, 2015, 02:28:39 PM »

Have you seen Close encounters of the Third Kind?

The game is clearly inspired by cowboys versus aliens  Giggle
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: June 28, 2015, 05:07:42 AM »

@lobstersteve there won't be any cowboys in the game Wink

I have made a little video of the storm effect. I have tried many time but youtube always degrade my videos quality after upload.

here is the video :

Follow us on playfield
lobstersteve
« Reply #196 on: June 28, 2015, 05:18:49 AM »

@lobstersteve there won't be any cowboys in the game Wink

Cowboy versus aliens also had native americans  Giggle

Oh, i love the video Smiley i totally forgot how much i just love walking around in 2d games with ambient/nature sounds.
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: June 28, 2015, 06:19:07 AM »

here is an image of the level I am working on today

making level is incredibly time consuming, I hope it will go faster with experience

Follow us on playfield
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: June 29, 2015, 12:21:18 PM »

The server I use to upload my images is down since friday night. I hope it will work again soon Facepalm

Follow us on playfield
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 30, 2015, 05:23:23 AM »

I found this today in a font list (here) and it reminded me of your original logo:
https://www.behance.net/gallery/22473401/OHITIKA
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic