Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 01:50:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPainters Guild [OUT NOW]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 46
Print
Author Topic: Painters Guild [OUT NOW]  (Read 120965 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2013, 10:06:26 PM »

so true lol

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2013, 06:32:49 AM »

Energy bar appears when you place the artist in a resting object (like a chair). These progress bars are placeholders, still not sure how to handle them.

Gif shows a tired artist resting and going back to painting.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2013, 05:48:43 AM »

Basic commission. Guy requests a painting, you paint it.

There will be more details on request and the ability to refuse it as well.

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2013, 11:04:38 AM »

The only thing that bothers me there is when the screen moves, the text isn't bound to an integer so it doesn't stay where it should.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2013, 12:02:56 PM »

The only thing that bothers me there is when the screen moves, the text isn't bound to an integer so it doesn't stay where it should.

Thanks for pointing that out, I think this fixes it:

jean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2013, 01:06:38 PM »

I love the art direction you have settled on. The game looks interesting and promising.
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2013, 09:53:57 AM »

I love the art direction you have settled on. The game looks interesting and promising.

Thanks! Please post more, I'm often lonely here  Beg

Tired artist:

Zzz...

0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2013, 10:16:39 AM »

Tired artist
How about horizontal eyes for him?

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2013, 10:39:08 AM »

That's a great idea, 0x0961h. I don't want to get too much into the appearance of artists yet, though. They will have their physical features randomized and that's for later. I'll try to do this when the time comes.

0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2013, 11:04:40 AM »

I'll try to do this when the time comes.
It'll be the right thing. Carry on, sir. Gentleman

EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2013, 03:59:04 PM »

One mechanic that makes me cringe a little is the simultaneous painters. I know it's a gameplay mechanic, but it reminds me of this episode of CSI where two computer users start typing on the same keyboard at the same time to thwart a hacker faster.

I think most artists in the time period you are representing used a reference. For landscapes, portraits, etc.

All that said, it's original! So that's great. Smiley

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2013, 04:08:04 PM »

One mechanic that makes me cringe a little is the simultaneous painters. I know it's a gameplay mechanic, but it reminds me of this episode of CSI where two computer users start typing on the same keyboard at the same time to thwart a hacker faster.

I think most artists in the time period you are representing used a reference. For landscapes, portraits, etc.

All that said, it's original! So that's great. Smiley

Renaissance paintings had multiple artists. The master would sign it (Leonardo, Raphael, Michelangelo), but he didn't paint everything - his apprentices painted the less important parts of the painting. Leonardo himself painted small details of paintings as an apprentice.

There will be human models. Plein air (painting outside with reference) wasn't really a big thing until the 19th century, though.

Thanks for the comments.

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2013, 09:43:58 PM »

This game looks fascinating! Really interested to see where you're going to take it. Good luck!

EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2013, 12:53:44 AM »

Renaissance paintings had multiple artists. The master would sign it (Leonardo, Raphael, Michelangelo), but he didn't paint everything - his apprentices painted the less important parts of the painting. Leonardo himself painted small details of paintings as an apprentice.

There will be human models. Plein air (painting outside with reference) wasn't really a big thing until the 19th century, though.

Surely not at the same time though. Especially not with oil paints. I know it's a gameplay mechanic and it's neat. Smiley I'm not criticizing, really! It's like throwing criticism at RPGs for the world map having castles the size of the player.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2013, 07:14:54 AM »

Surely not at the same time though. Especially not with oil paints. I know it's a gameplay mechanic and it's neat. Smiley I'm not criticizing, really! It's like throwing criticism at RPGs for the world map having castles the size of the player.

I imagine the master would at least be near the apprentice to aid him. I don't see why artists can't each work at the same time on different areas of a painting, though? Some paintings were really big, there was enough space, so why not? Either way, it's the best way I found to represent the fact that paintings were painted by multiple artists.

I really appreciate the comments, thanks guys.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2013, 10:13:26 AM »

Trying out full screen. I made the sky a bit more blue as well, it was too teal.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2013, 05:37:33 AM »

A tired artist (zzz) rests and then goes back to work.

Not sure what I should do next. Selling paintings, probably.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2013, 06:04:21 AM »

First attempt at yes/no buttons:

Too small! Second attempt:

I thought of arranging them like this to avoid misclicks.

adganong
Level 0

Motif

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2013, 06:57:36 AM »

Seems pretty cool! I think it would be a neat idea to expand to where it was a multiplayer game with more then just one guild type... And then you can trade, have an economy, so on and so forth. Very cool idea though, I like the look of it so far as well.
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2013, 08:12:29 AM »

Seems pretty cool! I think it would be a neat idea to expand to where it was a multiplayer game with more then just one guild type... And then you can trade, have an economy, so on and so forth. Very cool idea though, I like the look of it so far as well.

Thanks! Let's not get too ambitious.

I was thinking about my systems and I think I might need to assign a number or "quality" to each artist's brushstroke:

It'd be the brushstroke's Beauty and would depend on the artist's Skill. So if you make a painting with 100 brushstrokes of Beauty 8, the painting will have a final Beauty of 8. Or something like this.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 46
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic