Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411713 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 11:35:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack the Reaper
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 76
Print
Author Topic: Jack the Reaper  (Read 335271 times)
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: May 24, 2011, 03:16:54 AM »

updated demo has been released.
please check the very first post in this thread to download it.
Please report any bugs you find.

edit: I forgot to mention the new boss ability doesn't do anything yet.
"press x" is just a placeholder for now.
Also, there is a purple stage near the beginning, do not go to it, this was a test and it will only make the game crash.
You can move right past it.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:31:47 PM by Rakugaki-Otoko » Logged

Colon Semicolon
Level 2

GREAT WARLORD ATLUS SAN

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 24, 2011, 02:42:35 PM »

it wouldn't run past the first level, for me. tried to go to the second level and it crashed. not sure what the deal is with that.

DINGLING DONGLE DORKS AGAIN ARE WE?
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: May 24, 2011, 02:52:58 PM »

it wouldn't run past the first level, for me. tried to go to the second level and it crashed. not sure what the deal is with that.

was the level you're talking about represented by a purple orb?
If so, I'm sorry, that was a mistake I left in. just move past it on the map screen.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: June 10, 2011, 01:39:34 AM »

Wow... haven't said anything in a while. I apologize. The game is still being made, but progress is going along slow. Some personal things have been happening, and I haven't been able to concentrate on production that much. Don't worry, I'm still working on it a little bit each day.

pixhead
« Reply #184 on: June 12, 2011, 09:17:01 AM »

Wow... haven't said anything in a while. I apologize. The game is still being made, but progress is going along slow. Some personal things have been happening, and I haven't been able to concentrate on production that much. Don't worry, I'm still working on it a little bit each day.

As long as it isn't abandoned you can take as long as possible. Just look at Fez.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2011, 09:09:39 PM »

New little video I made.
Learning to use dodges to solve problems.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: June 16, 2011, 02:32:57 AM »

Take your time, there's no rush!

Looking at the trailer, I'm a bit worried how slow the walk speed is.  It reminds me of Mickey in Castle of Illusion, but even slower (loved that game... but I think the amount of action in this game makes it feel like it needs a faster pace.)  Something to consider, anyway.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: June 16, 2011, 12:41:11 PM »

Looking at the trailer, I'm a bit worried how slow the walk speed is.  It reminds me of Mickey in Castle of Illusion, but even slower (loved that game... but I think the amount of action in this game makes it feel like it needs a faster pace.)  Something to consider, anyway.

You're referring to the official trailer, right?
Since I use CamStudio to record videos, it makes the game run slower.
I did make one video showing the proper speed the game runs at.

I had to record it in a static room with no background in order to have it play at the correct speed.

I know he's still a little slow, but you should try the demo out to see for yourself. Any faster, and people would probably complain that the platforming parts are too hard to navigate.
if worse comes to worst, you can always just keep the speed-up ability in your second slot.

-Aa, I just looked up a video of Castle of Illusion. Jack is definitely faster than that.  Shrug

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: June 18, 2011, 02:33:29 AM »

It sure has been quiet around this thread.
I could still use some feedback on the game. Has anyone tried the newest demo yet?

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: June 18, 2011, 03:15:21 AM »

I haven't played it yet just because I'm on Mac and it's pretty rare for me to reboot into Windows these days.  Will do when I get round to it.  I think it looks great though.

One thing I will say about the aesthetics is they don't quite match the great quality of your pencil drawings.  I sorta wish they had outlines, but I'd never suggest you redo all you art!  An easier way to make a big improvement imho would be to spend more time on the palette, because the pixels themselves are nice, as others have suggested.

The images Ichigo Jam posted appear more saturated here, and I do prefer them.  Something to consider anyway...

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: June 18, 2011, 11:24:56 AM »

I consistently get:
for object Secret_TEMPLATE:

Unexisting room number: -1

when I start the second level.
godsavant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: June 18, 2011, 11:59:19 AM »

I consistently get:
for object Secret_TEMPLATE:

Unexisting room number: -1

when I start the second level.

I think we all do. Just skip that one.

I haven't played it yet just because I'm on Mac and it's pretty rare for me to reboot into Windows these days.  Will do when I get round to it.  I think it looks great though.

There seem to be an awful lot of people giving token praise to this game without having played it under the pretense of "getting around to it". How weak.

As I progress further I've grown more and more annoyed with the save system in the game, where dying means trekking back through several previous stages just to have another try. I understand you're going for a less forgiving platforming experience (akin to Super Mario World's system) but at the moment, the inability to get extra lives means rationing them is as much a game as the platforming itself. Please consider giving us plebians a more normal per-level save system, at least earlier on.

The platforming is also a lot harder than necessary, mainly because of Jack's smaller hitbox. Granted, it's always nice to have a smaller area of vulnerability against projectile-spamming opponents, but generally I expect the hitbox to fully encompass a character's feet; too often I've slipped off narrow platforms (thanks to the mechanism for preventing Jack from getting stuck) like they have rounded edges or fallen early, before I could press jump. I recall someone suggested having a brief window after falling from a platform in which Jack can still jump, something I don't know if you've tried yet; in any case, the incongruous hitbox remains the biggest issue.

Finally, a minor complaint is the presence of obstructive foreground objects, particularly during the forest stages. There are several instances of leaves obscuring gaps between platforms or patrolling enemies too small to be seen.

On the other hand, I can't stop myself from being wowed consistently by every new enemy and environment. The designs on display here are truly a cut above most anything normally posted here, particularly since you're also coding and composing; just a shame I can't reach what the later levels have in store.

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: June 18, 2011, 12:22:24 PM »

I'm enjoying this so far, but I found an invincible crab trapped in a block. I'm a little scared.

EDIT- It's on the third level.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: June 18, 2011, 01:59:55 PM »

to Oyog:
Yes, as godsavant said, just skip that level. it was accidentally left in from testing.

to godsavant:
Mm, yes that is a bit disheartening to hear so many people say that...

The save system- Well, I've decided to make difficulty options for the game. Easy and Normal should do. basically, easy will make it so that you save after beating every stage (but you won't get to see the ending, since I'm a jerk)
As for lives- after I finish making the main game stages, I'm going to start work on the bonus stages, which you can find hidden exits to in normal stages. The bonus stages will have extra lives, make the game save when you beat one, and will add an extra bit of health to Jack's life. Pardon me for not having that in the demo yet, as finishing the main game stages is the highest priority for now.

I have just finished making Jack's hitbox wider, and tested it out. Jumps are much easier now.
No, I haven't tried the second jump window thing.
And thank you, I'm working hardest on the graphics with programming coming in a close second. Composing comes in third, mostly because I can compose whenever I feel like it.

to Seasons:
Oops! must have missed something. It will be fixed in the next release, I apologize.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 18, 2011, 02:33:12 PM »

Considering the hitbox issues, couldn't you have a larger hitbox for environment interactions, and a smaller one for enemy interactions?
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: June 18, 2011, 07:28:20 PM »

I could do that, but I really don't want to. It would mean having to reprogram a large chunk of the game to fit the new hitbox... As I said already, I fixed the hitbox platforming problem.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: June 19, 2011, 09:52:21 AM »

Just add a system where you can still jump a couple frames after falling off a ledge. Many games use them and they aren't very hard to make.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: June 19, 2011, 12:00:12 PM »

I haven't played it yet just because I'm on Mac and it's pretty rare for me to reboot into Windows these days.  Will do when I get round to it.  I think it looks great though.
There seem to be an awful lot of people giving token praise to this game without having played it under the pretense of "getting around to it". How weak.

Was there any need for that dude?  

I decide to show some encouragement to someone whose game I like the look of, when noone else is posting is in his thread, and that's weak?  I have a bunch of Windows games in a folder including this one, some of which I've planned to play for longer than this.  Don't assume things about people you know nothing about.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: June 19, 2011, 05:54:21 PM »

Just add a system where you can still jump a couple frames after falling off a ledge. Many games use them and they aren't very hard to make.
Oh, I didn't know that. Can you name a few games that have done it? Also, how would I do such a thing, if I decided to?
As I said, I already fixed it so that jumping is easier.

MaloEspada
« Reply #199 on: June 19, 2011, 08:00:36 PM »

i'm almost sure the grandma engine does that for you... and that's what you should be using if you are making a platformer in GM. it's a pretty good engine.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:22:33 PM by rdein » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 76
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic