Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 07:54:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Art Advice needed
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24
Print
Author Topic: Art Advice needed  (Read 90588 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 10, 2013, 03:19:01 PM »

Okay loking at google I have seen similar tutorial than your stick figure, let me say this: always multiply your source to cross reference and have a critical look, it lower the risk at picking something bad.

TheShard1994
Level 2

Crits appreciated

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 11, 2013, 09:48:15 AM »

I see, I'll use more reference material at the same time from now on.

I think I got the spine right this time, but I wasn't really sure how the chest was turned. Tried my best and this is what I think is the right perspective. Also, I tried creating a new drawing with the guidelines (rough sketch), but there's still something really off about her anatomy (except for her left (our right) leg to be way too thick).

Anyway, see for yourself Smiley
Carville
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 11, 2013, 10:51:32 AM »

I could be wrong, but maybe try making your brush strokes more fluid. Have you ever taken life drawing classes? I found it helpful to really loosen up when drawing and I'd try and capture the shape of the subject from head to toe in one stroke of the brush.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 11, 2013, 12:57:52 PM »

the chest orientation looks wrong try to capture the ribcage volume with your chest volume!

Blambo
« Reply #364 on: March 11, 2013, 04:47:51 PM »

Have you considered just straight up working on rendering volumes, like drawing and shading simple plaster molds in a single light source? I feel like you could use some observational work before you focus on structural interpretation.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 11, 2013, 05:03:10 PM »

I already told him, but sometimes you have to let them try for a moment before reorienting on the right path. That and i'm a bit lazy, I should go reread an old thread to pick the advice source I give to someone else ...

ink.inc
« Reply #366 on: March 11, 2013, 05:18:21 PM »

always look back and forth between the reference and your piece
Blambo
« Reply #367 on: March 11, 2013, 05:20:28 PM »

That would be good advice if he wasn't tracing the hardest part of drawing figures.
TheShard1994
Level 2

Crits appreciated

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 12, 2013, 06:26:41 AM »

That would be good advice if he wasn't tracing the hardest part of drawing figures.

I thought it'd be best to start with tracing, since I need to learn to see the construction of figures, and when I finally know how the body is really built, I'd move on to drawing without tracing. And when that goes well, move on to shading volumes and stuff. And finally move on to making "real" drawings.

Is this a good plan, or is there a better way?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 12, 2013, 09:36:57 AM »

BTW right now tracing isn't optimal, that mean you still have trouble seeing form. If tracing is not good yet, that mean you need to improve observation, tracing or not. I think tracing does highlight more quickly your weakness, so it's fine, after tracing a long shoot at real life observation will be mandatory.

I'm waiting for one good ribcage volume to send the shift signal.

siskavard
« Reply #370 on: March 12, 2013, 09:42:41 AM »

If I may step in here...

You need to skip this wire-frame, stiff tracing BS and do quick gesture drawings. Find out if there are any life drawing classes in your area and DO IT. Draw fast and loose and draw a LOT. You'll slowly get better and better

What you're doing now is only going to teach you to draw stiff, robotic people that look unbalanced & weird.
TheShard1994
Level 2

Crits appreciated

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 12, 2013, 12:17:19 PM »

So it's mainly the rib-cage that's messed up huh?
Then how is this one?

Like I said, I'll move on to observational stuff soon enough Smiley

I've done that gesture-drawing stuff for a time (some time ago when someone recommended it as well), in class, and I don't really think it has changed anything. But I'll try it again once the weather here clears up
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 12, 2013, 12:22:08 PM »

It's not the ribcage that's mess up, it's the fact it does not match the real ribcage, which mean observational skill is trailing Wink
If I see the ribacga ematching visual clue then I say you are ready to jump to true observation Shocked

TheShard1994
Level 2

Crits appreciated

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 12, 2013, 12:33:52 PM »

I can't seem to find out how to actually draw it, for these 11 sketches I based them on the info I got from

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 12, 2013, 12:39:27 PM »

You apply a formula, you don't understand it!
It's not wrong it just it does not match the reference at all.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: March 12, 2013, 01:40:40 PM »

what about the idea of not tracing the next one?

and btw IMO I don't think u'll learn a lot by tracing a simplified skeleton once a day but on the other hand I'm not experienced myself so I might be wrong

ink.inc
« Reply #376 on: March 12, 2013, 01:41:45 PM »

wont learn much by tracing, but if you do it to set up actual drawings wireframes can be pretty helpful
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 12, 2013, 01:45:51 PM »

Well tracing allow me to check what he understand and how is understanding evolve, and there is evolution. If he can't trace, it would have even more trouble not tracing. There is a bunch of thing he get much better than in the beginning. So while tracing don't help at being good at drawing effectively, it still raise another skill which is analytical observation, which also help. Regarding is drawing history in this thread, he is lacking analytical skill. I focus on that right now.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: March 12, 2013, 01:59:41 PM »

I think that you'd practice observation more by trying to draw the wireframes side-by-side instead of tracing, since you have to look more intensively searching for distances between things, angles and so

SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: March 13, 2013, 02:17:22 PM »

you need to do some quick gesture drawing - that will help you a lot more than tracing. Just try to get the flow of the model's figure down in a really brief amount of time (say 30 seconds)

Motion Logic Studios
2D & 3D Art - AAA Experience, Indie-Friendly Prices
Feel free to email me or connect with me on twitter!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic