Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411646 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 07:53:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[FINISHED] Akiro the squid <3
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
Print
Author Topic: [FINISHED] Akiro the squid <3  (Read 25044 times)
Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 08, 2016, 09:16:55 AM »

Jellyfish has evolved yet again. They can now spawn as big or small, and randomized between two colors.

Akiro: Android | IOS <3
GarBenjamin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 08, 2016, 10:10:24 AM »

Hey Mothil good to see you are still working on this. I remember playtesting a very early version quite a while back on the Feedback Friday thread over at the Unity forums.

It's looking good!  Smiley

Play Play Atlantic Crisis [BETA] in your browser!
Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 08, 2016, 10:51:14 AM »

Hey GarBenjamin, of course I remember you! The game has come quite a long way since then. Thank you for your kind words. Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 08, 2016, 11:38:53 AM »

I've already implemented it. I've been denying it being a problem cause I didn't think I could do it, but it took me 5 minutes. I mean, it's basically just 15 lines of code. I know so little about programming, but this goes to show that I know something at least.
The trick to learning programming is like the same as it is for anything else: by doing it Wink

I can see you've grown quite a lot since the start of this topic, for sure!

Also, bit of feedback: maybe add a choice between respawning normally or respawn in hard mode, so you can skip the slow tutorial parts once you get good at this game.
Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 08, 2016, 01:15:15 PM »

Ah, yes, just do it!
I keep a couple programming books by my nightstand, cause I really want to not only become a good programmer, but one that thoroughly understand the system. I don't read as much as I should, but that's mainly because I spend countless hours swimming beside a squid. For the whole first year of development I just casually thought to myself that I'm not a good coder, but as I'm thinking and learning more about it, I'd rather phrase it like this: I'm not experienced when it comes to logical thinking, or thinking like a programmer. And I'm really impatient and can't read manuals at all. I consider myself the code version of Leeroy Jenkins. Let's just run in and see what happens.

The reason I started to code is because programming was the bottleneck to my creativity. I remember sitting beside my friend at school, who is probably the best coder I know, doing just that - coding. I didn't understand any of it, but I admired the structure and the aesthetics of code. It just looks beautiful. I've come to learn that programming was not only possible for me to learn, but also extremely fun. There's just something extremely magical about building a small world all by myself. I feel lucky, I love this.

Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 09, 2016, 12:58:54 AM »

I've been optimizing my build size this morning. I've almost halfed the size with compressing sound and textures alone. There's this included DLL's I have no idea why is so big though. I have no idea how big a mobile game normally is or should be, so I don't know what I'm shooting for.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: July 09, 2016, 02:19:52 AM »

Well the Google Play Store has a size limit of 50MB last time I published an app there but it look like it has been increased to 100MB. Generally smaller apps like this will be sub 15MB though.

Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 09, 2016, 03:11:02 AM »

That's great to hear. It doesn't look like it's going to be a problem, but learning to optimize effectively can only be positive. I will eventually start making bigger games, so why not just get in the habit straight away.  Coffee

Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 09, 2016, 03:52:27 AM »

I've been drawing a bit today. It's incredibly hard to achieve a nice result at a low res like this. Not sure if I want to keep it like this or try a lot more. It sort of works I guess.

Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 09, 2016, 08:01:57 AM »

"In one world, something shines.
 In another... Not so much.

Secret character added.

PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: July 09, 2016, 09:06:49 AM »

I've been optimizing my build size this morning. I've almost halfed the size with compressing sound and textures alone. There's this included DLL's I have no idea why is so big though. I have no idea how big a mobile game normally is or should be, so I don't know what I'm shooting for.

My guess is that this is the files needed for the Unity engine and maybe plugins if you use any. I think any unity game would be at least a few megs..

Twitter: @pbergmar
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 09, 2016, 09:29:46 AM »

I'm digging the new game over screens!
Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 09, 2016, 09:48:44 AM »

Mhh, it seems like that's the case Petter. A guy I know checked the editor log on his project, and he got the exact same size on DLLs, so it's probably just... Unity.

And thank you JobLeonard. Smiley

Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 09, 2016, 12:21:03 PM »

I think there was something strange in my shrimp.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 09, 2016, 12:42:39 PM »

Trippin balls
Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 10, 2016, 11:43:11 AM »

I've been testing out GameJolt API and Kongregate API today. With help from QFSW, I got GameJolt working. I gave up on Kongregate. It started freezing my game, and this last hour it won't even upload my build. I'll get around to Kongregate later, but for now I want to launch on platforms that don't hit me in the face.

http://gamejolt.com/games/akiro/163972 <- Playable on GameJolt!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 10, 2016, 01:56:09 PM »

It works on Linux! I also suck, but I like the control scheme regardless!

Is it supposed to only have music in the game over screen?
Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 10, 2016, 02:52:26 PM »

Haha, no... I just forget to turn the music on after I've been playtesting. I just turn it off whenever I work on the game, cause it gets tiresome after a while. :p

Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 17, 2016, 01:40:23 PM »

I took a giant leap and released the game. There's still tons I'd like to fix on it, but I figured... Let's just release it, and take one step at a time. It's now available on Google Play and GameJolt.

This development log has been a wonderful journey for me, and I want to thank each and everyone of you who popped your nose in and said hi. I've learned so much throughout this project, and I've loved 98% of the time I worked on it... There has been a couple frustrating exceptions! Tongue

So thank you. Any further updates on the game will probably not me written about here, as I do consider the main part of the game done. It's time for me to go deeper into development than I've ever done before. My next steps will probably be to update Akiro a bit, hopefully add a $.99 remove ads purchase, and then make a handfull of prototypes. My head is flooding with ideas and mechanics I want to try out, so maybe another development log isn't that far away.

GOOGLE PLAY:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.MothilGames.Akiro

GAMEJOLT:
http://gamejolt.com/games/akiro/163972

Oh, and I'm also trying to sneak my way into the App Store, so let's see how that goes.  Coffee

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 17, 2016, 11:36:51 PM »

Well, I installed it on my Nexus 7 from 2012 (it's a bit choppy on that one), and my really old HTC phone, where it runs quite well. This game is freaking hard. It's one of those fair-but-infuriating rage-quit games, I like it!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic