Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 04:19:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper Toaster X: Learn Japanese RPG: Devlog 99: Resource Management
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 41
Print
Author Topic: Super Toaster X: Learn Japanese RPG: Devlog 99: Resource Management  (Read 78425 times)
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: October 07, 2016, 02:21:34 PM »

Sorry, sorry! That was rude of me.

Many thanks to you too!

I've left you a comment in your thread.

Devlog 93: Campaign Preparation:

With the kickstarter launch taking place this coming week, I'm spending less time drawing and more time into the nitty gritty aspect of PR management, an area which I'm still very inexperienced at.

I've received all sorts of advice from a lot of people, for which I am very grateful for. Community Support goes a long way when it comes to game development (or most likely any development).

With a more realistic financial goal now in place, the final objective is to get in touch with various media outlets to get some exposure for the game. The comments about the technical build have been positive so far, which is certainly comforting and encouraging for the campaign.

So who have I contacted so far? I figured I would put the list here.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 05:06:01 AM by Zizka » Logged

BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #741 on: October 07, 2016, 02:41:13 PM »

Yay! btw, Zizka, as we are throwing a KS soon, I gathered some thoughts about it on our devlog. Could you take a look and comment? I don't mean this as a way of driving traffic to our devlog, but I'm truly stressed about the matter (I'm sure you can relate). You can comment here if you prefer.

I want to comment the situation with someone in a similar position.

Here the thoughts: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=51528.260

Check the devlog for MONSTER PROM
And follow us on TWITTER
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: October 08, 2016, 11:04:48 AM »

(left a comment on your page).

Is there such a thing as a website which contains all of the email addresses of gaming journalists? Trying to find them one by one is very turning up to be very, very time consuming.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #743 on: October 08, 2016, 02:10:01 PM »

Is there such a thing as a website which contains all of the email addresses of gaming journalists? Trying to find them one by one is very turning up to be very, very time consuming.
I've only seen people talking about finding those contacts one-by-one.

I wonder if the time to track one down is included in LobsterSundew's estimate of 8 min per journalist or is that only for actually writing the email.

Oh, and this image *screams* to me:

OMG!!! My Kickstarter campaign is not going to get funded!!!!
If you are going to use STX instead of your picture, then I'd go with something that projects a more confident and happier vibe.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 05:49:14 PM by io3 creations » Logged

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: October 08, 2016, 11:25:09 PM »

About bloggers:

Pixel Prospector's Video Game Journaliser is a place to start. There are many sites out there that don't make the list because they just started. There is also searching out where similar games were covered. The press kits for those games sometimes feature where they were covered.

Lists of contact information for video game bloggers do occasionally appear, but the problem is maintaining them. They become useless very quickly. The large sites also churn through freelancers.

The 8 minutes per e-mail average includes the research and writing process. Find a relevant site to cover you, identify a blogger there who has similar tastes, find contact information, modify template email, re-read over e-mail to improve and spellcheck, re-read e-mail again out of nervousness and then click send.

Ideally every e-mail would be custom, but in reality some are going to start become e-mail blasts (with hopefully some mail merge automation happening to swap names). The sites you are most likely to get covered by get customized emails. The largest news sites also get customized emails. Lower priority sites get less and less customization.

A way to reduce the time per e-mail during the campaign is maintaining a spreadsheet about who to contact, why and what their interests are. As you casually read gaming articles, you can make note of bloggers who might like your game and details like a similar game is one of their favourites.

Finding bloggers takes time. The harder part is providing them with "fuel". Sometimes a game gets covered because it produces a great headline that will get clicks. Sometimes a game gets covered because it allows for exploration of some topic about video game culture as a whole. Sometimes it is an underdog story or an amazing mechanic. The problem with many 2D Atari-2600-pixel-art platformers was that most of what could be said about them had already been said in previous articles.

About Thanksgiving:

Monday, October 10th is Thanksgiving in Canada. I may be unable to track campaigns on October 11th as a result of travel.

About appealing to anime fans:

I have 2 notes.

It is possible to have references like the Tsunderplane and Tsundere Cactus in Undertale. There are various types of character descriptions in manga such as dandere, deredere, kuudere and yandere. There is a chart on Imgur.
http://imgur.com/gallery/yCJO1zx

Super Toaster X does kind of fit with the Time Bokan/Yatterman type of classic adventure-comedy from Japan. There are robots shaped live everyday items or animals. Yatterman even had a robot character Omotchama shaped like a box. These shows didn't really gain much real traction in North America's fandom until recently with stuff like Yatterman Night. I remember many people where I live didn't know who many of the non-Capcom characters were when the fighting game Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars came out for Wii. A female Doronjo-type himedere-type character could be added to the game.

About the project preview:

The project thumbnail image will be 218 pixels by 122 pixels in the project discovery area. It is important to check how legible it is at that size. Other factors are the pitch video play button appears in the middle and the staff pick heart appears in the bottom left.

The television newscast at 8 seconds into the pitch could be zoomed in more. You can ask yourself if the bunny-ears antennae needs to be visible. Instead of black un-used areas, consider using a backdrop of that dark blue like at 47 seconds in.

From what I'm seeing the text can flow better. Here is a current paragraph:
"The language is learned by powering up the hero's offensive and defensive abilities by accurately using Japanese vocabulary cards. Using the right abilities at the right time involves thought and strategy as well."
Below is a version that reads smoother to me:
"Learn by powering up your hero's offensive and defensive abilities by accurately using Japanese vocabulary cards. Using the right abilities at the right time involves thought and strategy."

Conveying the core gameplay loop will be important for a game like this. There is the option to take a screenshot of a battle and add information to it like arrows pointing and describing parts of the HUD. This is where I'm most concerned about the project right now. It has been a concern for awhile. If the gameplay looks impenetrable or confusing, then potential backers will simply move onto the next project. The objective is to quickly and clearly convey what the game is. For a very unique game it requires more hand-holding. Think of it as similar to a tutorial.

At 13 seconds into the pitch is the dojo. At 17 seconds in is exploring the dungeon. I wonder if the video works better with the dungeon exploring scene appearing where the dojo scene currently is. It is a much more visually impressive scene. I do see the "Practice before the dungeon" textbox in the dojo clip. If moved it could be something like "Practice between dungeons." If pressed for time, it might not be worth changing it now.

$12,000 CAD would need to aim for around 480 backers to reach 100% funded. For a $10 anchor tier (offers the game) it could be 375 to 700 backers to reach 100%.

A short-term goal would be to raise $1,800 (15%) before the first weekend the campaign encounters. Another short-term goal would be to raise $3,600 (30%) before halfway. Ideally the campaign would achieve at least 56 to 102 backers at launch to have enough momentum for the Kickstarter trough period.

Achieving 650 backers at launch would have a strong chance of keeping the campaign from falling out of the top 20 rankings this October. For comparison, back in summer that number would be 240 backers. That should provide a sense of how different the level of competition is since then. Super Toaster X would need at least 41 backers in its first 48 hours to not fall below the current 20th spot on day 3. There is the risk that the level of difficulty will increase, but I expect it to become easier in November.

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: October 09, 2016, 03:12:44 AM »

Awesome!

1. I changed the project profile picture with my picture. I could have an happy Pan drawing on it however.

Finding bloggers takes time. The harder part is providing them with "fuel". Sometimes a game gets covered because it produces a great headline that will get clicks. Sometimes a game gets covered because it allows for exploration of some topic about video game culture as a whole. Sometimes it is an underdog story or an amazing mechanic. The problem with many 2D Atari-2600-pixel-art platformers was that most of what could be said about them had already been said in previous articles.

2. Thankfully, that's not the case of my game. I have originality going for me.

3. I have a question: kickstarter says it might[/u] take 3 days to process the project. "up to three days can be necessary". How then can I plan ahead? I mean, do I get to manually launch the game once it's been accepted? I would hope so as I don't know how long it will take them. If they launch it right away it could mess up my timeline big time.

Super Toaster X does kind of fit with the Time Bokan/Yatterman type of classic adventure-comedy from Japan. There are robots shaped live everyday items or animals. Yatterman even had a robot character Omotchama shaped like a box. These shows didn't really gain much real traction in North America's fandom until recently with stuff like Yatterman Night. I remember many people where I live didn't know who many of the non-Capcom characters were when the fighting game Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars came out for Wii. A female Doronjo-type himedere-type character could be added to the game.
4. That's fair but how do you transfer this practically for the campaign? Research those terms in google and present the project on websites related to them?

From what I'm seeing the text can flow better. Here is a current paragraph:
"The language is learned by powering up the hero's offensive and defensive abilities by accurately using Japanese vocabulary cards. Using the right abilities at the right time involves thought and strategy as well."
Below is a version that reads smoother to me:
"Learn by powering up your hero's offensive and defensive abilities by accurately using Japanese vocabulary cards. Using the right abilities at the right time involves thought and strategy."
5. Ok, I've changed it.

Conveying the core gameplay loop will be important for a game like this. There is the option to take a screenshot of a battle and add information to it like arrows pointing and describing parts of the HUD. This is where I'm most concerned about the project right now. It has been a concern for awhile. If the gameplay looks impenetrable or confusing, then potential backers will simply move onto the next project. The objective is to quickly and clearly convey what the game is. For a very unique game it requires more hand-holding. Think of it as similar to a tutorial.

6. Ok, I'll do that. Added to todo list.

$12,000 CAD would need to aim for around 480 backers to reach 100% funded. For a $10 anchor tier (offers the game) it could be 375 to 700 backers to reach 100%.

A short-term goal would be to raise $1,800 (15%) before the first weekend the campaign encounters. Another short-term goal would be to raise $3,600 (30%) before halfway. Ideally the campaign would achieve at least 56 to 102 backers at launch to have enough momentum for the Kickstarter trough period.

Achieving 650 backers at launch would have a strong chance of keeping the campaign from falling out of the top 20 rankings this October. For comparison, back in summer that number would be 240 backers. That should provide a sense of how different the level of competition is since then. Super Toaster X would need at least 41 backers in its first 48 hours to not fall below the current 20th spot on day. There is the risk that the level of difficulty will increase, but I expect it to become easier in November.

7. I'm honestly considering reducing the funding further. At the end of the day, I prefer to have some financial help if only to pay for the programmer than to be sitting ducks. KS isn't about covering 100% of the game costs anyway. The biggest issue is the programming aspect anyway.

What do you guys think? Is 650 backers realistic?

Perhaps you guys can advise for the best thumbnail picture?

A.

B

If neither of those two, what should I change?

The current preview looks like this:

Not that convincing I find.

I added a tutorial section to the "game" section of the game.

While in battle, the player selects from four previously equipped offensive or defensive abilities:

While in battle, pressing "E" brings up the offensive abilities (used to damage your opponent) while pressing "Q" bring up the defensive abilities (use to reduce or avoid damage from opponents).

A: The energy bar refills over time in battle. Using an ability depletes your stored energy for variable amounts depending on the ability.

B: a list of your defensive abilities. When they light up, you have enough energy to use them.

C: a list of your offensive abilities. When they light up, you have enough energy to use them.

Trying to keep it short and informative at the same time. I hope that's enough.

Made the changes mentioned for the trailer.

I've reworked the end animation:

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 08:16:32 AM by Zizka » Logged

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: October 09, 2016, 11:32:28 PM »

You can submit a project for approval. Once approved, then you get to click the launch button when you want. There are guidelines that need to be checked like no reward tiers for physical knives and no donating campaign funds to charity. If you don't break any guidelines, it is rare not to get approved.

About fandom niches:

Nostalgia is a powerful driving force for purchases of indie games.

Super Toaster X doesn't show off much from the culture anime fans live in. There is a Super Sayan transformation, but I don't see any deeper traces of such fandom. There aren't moe girls or Gundams. There is the parody of the Megaman 2 tower intro in Super Toaster X's video. Super Toaster X is more heavily towards the Nintendo Entertainment System side.

Dift Stage at 1 minute 38 seconds into its pitch has 7 seconds of a drifting car opening its headlights. It is one of the best examples on Kickstarter I've seen for tapping into niche nostalgia. To some people this clip won't seem special. To people who know of the iconic AE86 underdog story the scene is concentrated nostalgia. That scene conveys to me they know that they are doing with the feel of the game. It feels authentic. It isn't too in-your-face like many Hollywood-studio-produced fan service moments are now like. If the reference was something everybody knew then it also would lose its impact. It shows a proper passion for the material and that builds confidence.

A problem is that this type of fan service can't really be tacked on. It has to be built into the game from the start. That doesn't stop marketers with focus group data from trying to add new characters, make changes and require inserting out-of-place mandatory references. Attempting to add more onto the game to try to appeal more to North American anime fans isn't something there is time for right now. Getting fan service wrong also creates backlash.

About the text of reward tiers:

It is important to get the reward tier text right. Once occupied, you can't edit a reward tier's text.

The $1 tier has the line "Got a buck to spare? Every single one counts to bring Pan to the world of the living. You also get an exclusive mp3 file of a song from the game." An alternative word to use in the place of "to" is "towards". You could change "exclusive" to "backers-exclusive".

The $50 tier misspells "learned" as "leanred".

The $200 tier has "This one is limited for practical reason". It is missing an "a" before "practical" to make it "for a practical reason".

About the project page's main body:

The first screenshot appears all the way down to where the $2,000 tier is on the page. I assume more screenshots will be added soon.

Under the art section it says "The graphics used in-game is pixel art. This is mostly because we believe pixel art ages better and in the end provides better aesthetics than 3D for a game for the scope we are going for. Examples of the art are provided throughout this presentation as well as into the trailer." The line "The graphics used in-game is pixel art" could be rewritten. It could even be removed to get right to the point of believing pixel art ages better than most 3D.

In the rewards chart there is "Backers of the granted will be granted various rewards depending on their contributions". "Granted" appears twice.

For the $75 tier entry says "A t-shirt displaying Pan in all his pixel art glory. A must fashion accessory." The "A must fashion accessory" doesn't feel like it reads right.

About the project thumbnail:

Option B for the project thumbnail works far better for being readable.

It is good to have platform information in the project thumbnail image or the project description of the project title.

Having a demo is a significant advantage. It is something worth conveying in the project discover area.

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: October 10, 2016, 04:31:15 AM »

Will reply to the rest in a short while, just putting the modified trailer up there for approval. I've made the comments you (Lobster Sundew) have mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JB1j1nUBnw&feature=youtu.be

I'm not sure if the training section in between the dungeon section works however. I think the training section should go right at the end of the darkest dungeon section as opposed to happen in between.

1. I've fixed both typos, thanks so much.

2. I feel like this Wednesday will be cutting things short. I know Thursday is ill advised. Would Friday still work? I don't want to jeopardize the campaign because I end up rushing things. I don't want to set things in stone by submitting and then find out there are still things to fix. Friday would be the 14th. It's still the first half of October.

3. Regarding the Early Bird: I was thinking of offering the 25$ reward tier for 10$ for the first week of the campaign. Good idea? On one hand, it will encourage backers for the first week, on the other hand, it will mean less income in the long run. Still, seems like an advisable choice.

4. Rewrote the text about graphics:
Pixel Art was the logical choice mostly because we believe pixel art ages better and in the end provides better aesthetics than 3D for a game for the scope we are going for. Examples of the art are provided throughout this presentation as well as into the trailer.

In the rewards chart there is "Backers of the granted will be granted various rewards depending on their contributions". "Granted" appears twice.

That's a big one. Fixed to:
Higher pledges include the rewards in their lower counterparts. I had to twist and turn this one around in my head to get it right, i.e.: pledging the 25$ reward includes the lower rewards as well.[/i]

For the $75 tier entry says "A t-shirt displaying Pan in all his pixel art glory. A must fashion accessory." The "A must fashion accessory" doesn't feel like it reads right.

Changed it to:

A t-shirt displaying Pan in all his pixel art glory. A must have fashion accessory.

Having a demo is a significant advantage. It is something worth conveying in the project discover area.

I was planning to release the game demo as part of the updates. Would it be better to have it there already than have the people wait?

8. About fandom: I've read everything but can't find anything else to add.

The first screenshot appears all the way down to where the $2,000 tier is on the page. I assume more screenshots will be added soon.

I wasn't actually planning to have more screenshots which sounds wrong now that I'm typing it. I think adding them to the art section would make sense, like 3 of them or something like that. Added to the to-do list.

10. Regarding the second thumbnail, are there things I should still change about it for optimal results?

EDIT1: Added some screenshots to the art section.

EDIT2: Redid the early bird animation.

I just have to add it to the KS page now.

EDIT3:When contacting the press, do I need to send each email individually to avoid ending up in the spam folder?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 06:34:24 AM by Zizka » Logged

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: October 10, 2016, 10:27:13 AM »

I may be limited to a cellular Internet connection tonight.

It is still possible to modify the project page after submitting for approval. Projects submit for approval when they generally have about 90% of the page done. Some don't even have their pitch videos.

There are add-ons/plug-ins that allow for pre-scheduling of e-mails. Such add-ons can be used when writing e-mail drafts so you wouldn't have to go through a large batch of draft e-mails clicking send over and over manually. Bloggers do not like receiving bland copy and pasted e-mails with no modifications like not even mentioning their name or the site they write for.

Free e-mail accounts have limitations for how many e-mails can be sent per day as a means to combat spammers. For Gmail it is 500 recepients per day last time I checked including e-mails being sent BCC. Services like Mailchimp are used for large batches of e-mails like newsletters.

There are many factors used to flag an e-mail automatically as spam. If you don't use scammer phrases like "Buy here" or are using obviously rented address lists then you shouldn't have to worry.

The $1 tier has "bring" instead of "bringing".

The weekly traffic cycle for the platform is far more important than the monthly cycle. Fridays are poor. Saturdays are terrible. Launching on Friday wastes part of the valuable first 48 hours on a Saturday. While Thursday itself is a decent launch day, it spends part of the first 48 hours on a Friday. It is possible to launch on any day of the week by compensating with pre-launch marketing.

Project thumbnails are heavily subjective once meeting objectives like designing around the location of the video play button and being legible at small sizes. It often feels like there is always room for improvement. It can be a constant source of arguements.

Currently there is:
$10 tier for game
$15 tier for earlier access
$25 tier for soundtrack

If you were to make a $10 time-limited early-bird soundtrack tier I would suggest flipping the contents around for the $15 and $25 tiers. The $15 tier would be a soundtrack tier. The early-bird would be a $5 discount instead of a $15 sized discount. If the discount is too large it can feel like something is off. For time-limited early-bird tiers it is important to specific a timezone for when the offer ends.

I would have the demo at launch. Most of your early views will be expected at launch. Don't expect people to return when a demo goes up days later.

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: October 10, 2016, 03:05:22 PM »

The $1 tier has "bring" instead of "bringing".

Thank you! Fixed.

If you were to make a $10 time-limited early-bird soundtrack tier I would suggest flipping the contents around for the $15 and $25 tiers. The $15 tier would be a soundtrack tier. The early-bird would be a $5 discount instead of a $15 sized discount. If the discount is too large it can feel like something is off. For time-limited early-bird tiers it is important to specific a timezone for when the offer ends.

I've made the changes. Thanks!

Alright, I've submitted the project. Now that I know that I can still modify things once it's been approved, it's no big deal.

I've submitted the project and it says I have two choices:

"launch right now" or "ask for feedback"

I've clicked ask for feedback. Let's wait and see!

Thank you again, Lobster Sundew, your input has made a huge difference in this project.

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: October 11, 2016, 07:35:41 AM »

The project was accepted by Kickstarter. Their feedback service is pretty shit however. I thought they would give personalized advice but they just send you this generic suggestion that letter which mentioned things which were already in the project  Hand Thumbs Down Left. I actually see no point in submitting the project to them for advice actually.

I just have to add the Early Bird message and my self-intro video and we're good to go.

So I understand launching the project tomorrow in the morning is the best timing then.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 11, 2016, 07:53:07 AM »

Got to be the worst feeling in the world the day before launch... best of luck on the final edits! Looking forward to it.

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: October 11, 2016, 11:35:19 PM »

I did another skim over the project page preview.

The $25 tier for early access to the game has the same Aug 2017 delivery date at the $10 tier for the game on release. I don't know if it is a mistake due to copy and pasting.

There is an extra spacebar press at the front of the line " A: The energy bar refills over time in battle".

The 3 platform icons in the demo section could be added to one of the top corners of the project thumbnail image.

In the to-do list area about programming, the start of the lines for the achievement system and dungeon generator system are not capitalized like the other 3 lines are. In the area about art, the line about the environment is also missing a capitalization.

Tony Manfredonia's Twitter handle could be linked to his Twitter for convenience.

You may be asked if the game will be DRM-free or on Steam. Since it was greenlit, you could mention a Steam key in the $10 tier. What many projects due is use Humble Store from the Humble Bundle guys to allow backers to have the option for a Steam key or DRM-free download.

Dual Universe ended. Interesting projects like Lost Ember and AI War II have launched this week, but it hasn't been too busy for new launches.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 11:55:18 PM by LobsterSundew » Logged

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 12, 2016, 04:15:21 AM »

@oldblood: Thanks! Fingers crossed!

As it turns out, even after your project has been accepted by KickStarter, you can modify pretty much everything on your KS page. Just putting out there for the rest of you KS campaigners.

Uploaded the new trailer.

Last minute fixes:

The $25 tier for early access to the game has the same Aug 2017 delivery date at the $10 tier for the game on release. I don't know if it is a mistake due to copy and pasting.

Fixed.

There is an extra spacebar press at the front of the line " A: The energy bar refills over time in battle".

Fixed.

The 3 platform icons in the demo section could be added to one of the top corners of the project thumbnail image.

Done.

In the to-do list area about programming, the start of the lines for the achievement system and dungeon generator system are not capitalized like the other 3 lines are. In the area about art, the line about the environment is also missing a capitalization.

Fixed.

Tony Manfredonia's Twitter handle could be linked to his Twitter for convenience.

Done.

You may be asked if the game will be DRM-free or on Steam. Since it was greenlit, you could mention a Steam key in the $10 tier. What many projects due is use Humble Store from the Humble Bundle guys to allow backers to have the option for a Steam key or DRM-free download.

Actually, I'd like to release on GOG as well so I think mentioning Steam keys is a bit premature.

I've added the early bird animation.

For the first week of the KickStarter, pledging 10$ will grant you the 15$ tier. The Early Bird will last from the beginning of the campaign up to Wednesday Ocotber 19th, 23:59 Eastern Time Zone.

I'm currently waiting for the public builds to launch the campaign.

Jeff worked pretty hard yesterday and we now have controller support which is, I find, a good step forward to launch the campaign.

The amount to reach is 12,000 CAN, which is 9,059 US$.

The campaign length is currently 28 days. This means we'll finish on November 1st, a Tuesday.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:43:56 AM by Zizka » Logged

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: October 12, 2016, 08:47:01 AM »

Guess what??

We've launched! A major, major thank you to LobsterSundew for his help, you have my gratitude.

Here's the link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/714585684/super-toaster-x-learn-japanese

We've also updated a new build for the occasion. Controller support and bug fixes all around.

WINDOWS:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsgba38qyomccl3/Super_Toaster_X_v_51_Windows.zip?dl=0

OS X:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1oci1utlabfym7j/Super_Toaster_X_v_51_OS_X.zip?dl=0

LINUX:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ex3hpmplsecqnjf/Super_Toaster_X_v_51_Linux.zip?dl=0

Wish us luck!

lobstersteve
« Reply #755 on: October 12, 2016, 09:38:36 AM »

*Looks at devlog after some months*
What has this become. What.
Davi Vasc
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #756 on: October 12, 2016, 09:48:51 AM »

Wish us luck!

I've been reading your devlog for quite a while and I just realized I never made a comment. So, good luck! 

Davi Vasc - Video Game Composer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VascMusic
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #757 on: October 12, 2016, 09:57:59 AM »

Good luck! Smiley

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 12, 2016, 11:14:01 PM »

8 backers have currently pledged $390 (3.25%).

About campaign performance:

Here is data for the campaign's first day.
http://i.imgur.com/BOJMdX4.png

Ignoring the $300 pledge, the adjusted average pledge is $12.86 per backer.

BackerTracker shows a trend to $2,049 (17.1%). Kicktraq shows $1,260 (10%). Sidekick shows a 6% chance of success.

Some information doesn't become available until a campaign has either 10 backers or has ended. I'm waiting for 10 backers.

In my October 8th post I mentioned aiming for 56 to 102 backers to have good enough momentum. It is closer to 109 backers needed within the first 7 days now that there is some hindsight. It is still possible to get funded if you don't meet that short-term milestone, but understand the difficulty of getting funded would increase significantly. Early traction is a huge factor.

I strongly recommend paying attention to the pitch video view counter in the project dashboard.

It is still very early in the campaign. There is still the 2nd day.

About within Kickstarter:

LOST EMBER has seized the top rank in the category. The scenes with different coloured birds was strong imagery. That campaign's second day (827 backers) was twice as good for backers as its first (403 backers). It is soaking up attention. I'm seeing some campaigns go backwards or grind to a halt. Seeing this reminds me of what happened when Hyper Light Drifter launched.

Super Toaster X made it to the 37th ranked in popularity for the category. It has since droped to 38th. The top 20 is where project creators should try to be. In the October 8th post I also mentioned aiming for at least 41 backers to break into the top 20.

Remember the number-of-backers divided by the number-of-days-the-campaign-has-run-so-far is an important metric for project rankings. Other factors like percentage funded also influence visibility, but that previous metric is the big important one.

Queer Quest has a score of 30.4, Dwarrows with a score of 27.8, Project Automata with a score of 26.5 and Dungeon of Zaar with a score of 21.28. Those are the 4 campaigns at the edge of falling below the 20th ranking.

To get into the top 20 Super Toaster X needed to aim for at least 22 backers on the first day. It would need to aim for at least 44 to 46 backers by the end of tomorrow assuming not much changes like one of the old projects starting to go viral. The problem is without enough backers brought to the campaign at launch, a project can end up not benefiting from the traffic Kickstarter's platform can provide. If potential backers can't find the campaign, they can't pledge to it.

About outside Kickstarter:

There was a thread on rpgmaker.net, this devblog thread and an announcement on the Steam Greenlight and GameJolt pages. On the Steam Greenlight page the address for the widget is giving a 404 error.

Bitly Analytics shows 0 shortlink clicks. This does not include clicks within Kickstarter or clicks on the long URL. I see the tweet for the campaign launch used the long URL.

A blogger can decide to not cover you. It is important to use what options you do have some control over like posting to Reddit. Places where you have the power to click a submit button. There were no updates recently for Inexistence's project page or the Super Toaster Guy page on IndieDB. There is continuing to use Twitter.

Getting press is still one of the most important sources of traffic. The importance of external exposure increases when a campaign is doing poorly in the rankings. Getting press becomes like a marathon of researching and contacting bloggers.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: October 12, 2016, 11:43:33 PM »

Guess what??

We've launched!
Woohoo! You should make a nice KS tweet without 5000 hashtags and some more info and a GIF that actually shows some Japanese, m'thinks. Seems better for retweeting than the current one IMO. I don't think people will understand what it is based on that alone if I retweet that, and as we all know, people are too lazy to click an extra link to find out if their attention isn't grabbed already. Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 41
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic