Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 05:51:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopPixel art , various WIPs and stuff
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Pixel art , various WIPs and stuff  (Read 14720 times)
standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2014, 03:36:36 PM »

I think the back shoulder changes are good except in the two-handed sword case. In that case, holding of the weapon would bring the shoulder forward along with the rest of the upper body. I liked it better in the previous one. Like I mentioned, holding something heavy!

Zanhuf
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2014, 06:55:55 AM »

I think the back shoulder changes are good except in the two-handed sword case. In that case, holding of the weapon would bring the shoulder forward along with the rest of the upper body. I liked it better in the previous one. Like I mentioned, holding something heavy!

Like this?

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2014, 10:46:18 AM »

That's the one. On that 1 frame where the back arm is to the left it seems to disappear, or go through the torso. Not sure how to fix though.

Zanhuf
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2014, 02:43:07 PM »

I've decided to do away with the black outlines, as i was told the pieces look better without them

I also Decided to spruce up the two-handed sword attack animation as practice as well as to make it look less stock:

Tried sub-pixelling but i still haven't got the concept down.

Also practiced showing different sides/perspectives in a rotating base:

Zanhuf
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2014, 06:31:46 AM »

Update:

Removed unneeded frames and removed taunt.

Tried playing around again with sub-pixelling, I hope it looks like he's actually breathing this time.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2014, 08:38:15 AM »

i dont think the breath animation reads correctly yet. you might want to slightly arc the torso forward a bit and tilt his head a bit upwards. i know it might be a little less logical specially on a tired animation, but i believe it could read better.

Zanhuf
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2014, 01:46:09 PM »

i dont think the breath animation reads correctly yet. you might want to slightly arc the torso forward a bit and tilt his head a bit upwards. i know it might be a little less logical specially on a tired animation, but i believe it could read better.

Will give this a go!

Updaten:

Tried to make the leap between idle and attack less uh pronounced and increased wind-up, hopefully it adds more impact.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2014, 05:28:19 PM »

^ Hm, that looks cool, though leaning forward like that when you're resting seems weird (and of course putting the sword there is all about style > function). You should probably lean the character's center of gravity back when he places the sword on his shoulder.

Zanhuf
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2014, 12:12:09 AM »

^ Hm, that looks cool, though leaning forward like that when you're resting seems weird (and of course putting the sword there is all about style > function). You should probably lean the character's center of gravity back when he places the sword on his shoulder.

Hopefully this edit sorts that issue out:

Reduced length of frames, removed head looking down, made him lean back when he's lifting the sword onto his shoulder, made him lean forward whilst he swings the sword upward, altered breathing sub-pixelling again and generally tried to make it more fluid and less stiff:

Update:

Some issues with the front leg, so tried to fix them, also added recoil and tried to smooth out the animation when he's bringing the sword back up after swinging it:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:12:25 PM by Zanhuf » Logged
Zanhuf
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2014, 08:25:45 AM »

Not as happy with this as the two-handed version:

The sword on the shoulder is probably redundant, but i wanted to make it look more interesting.

Edit:

Without the sword and shoulder, as well as other, small changes:

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 09:37:26 AM by Zanhuf » Logged
Zanhuf
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2014, 07:08:25 AM »

Decided to add a scabard, just for excercise's sake, but it's deviated into two animations, not sure which one is more "effective":

He sheathes it whilst in the same position as he was afting attacking

He sheathes it after he recovers, whilst standing up.

I know it's not much of a difference, but im interested in hearing your opinions.

Personally i like the first one, but i don't know it feels like he looks like a samurai almost, even if thats not what i intended.
standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2014, 02:50:42 PM »

I agree with you it affects the personality portrayed. Both are good. I like what you do to the foreground arm.

Zanhuf
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2014, 12:46:19 PM »

Updated spear attack:

Updated archer attack:

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:21:46 PM by Zanhuf » Logged
Zanhuf
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »

Not much of an update, but decided to mess around animating an orc's idle-stance animation:

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:24:04 PM by Zanhuf » Logged
Zanhuf
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2014, 12:18:42 PM »

Sorry for the lack of posts as of late, i usually try to make daily posts, so i can chart my progress but i have been a bit busy with personal stuff:

Not a big change, but i've been playing around with idle-stances, trying to make the characters look less boring when they aren't attacking:

Stance influenced by Kaede's from Last Blade:

Also added an attempt at a second attack, not an overhead, more of a sideways slash as such, probably needs alot of fixing though.

Edit:

On retrospect, if he's holding a shield he'd pretty much be holding it up all the time, hopefully this quick edit addresses this
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 01:53:25 PM by Zanhuf » Logged
Zanhuf
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2014, 08:45:14 AM »

I've thought about amalgamating the two swings into one big one, so here's what it looks like:

Also im aware of how bad the blur lines are, just a quick attempt at them tbh will work on them again.

Also did a varient of the non-shield version, with him sheathing the sword after:

Zanhuf
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2014, 11:12:08 AM »

Been getting a tad burnt out from all the animating, so decided to go back to the bigger base version i was working on before i started animating:

Zanhuf
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2014, 11:40:53 AM »

Made a bigger, more detailed version. Will probably apply what i've learnt to the medium version if this is an improvement/any better:

Zanhuf
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2014, 12:02:26 PM »

Biggish update; made two versions of the medium and big version and placed Ash Crimson's sprite next to it for comparison:

Zanhuf
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2014, 12:57:22 PM »

Tried my hand at animating an idle stance for the base, more of a practice and getting used to animating larger sprites than anything I'd probably end up using.

I'm finding the jump from animating sprites with 1 pixel limbs to animating sprites where limbs consist of many pixels to be quite jarring at the moment, hopefully it won't always be like that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic