Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69382 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 07:43:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingManufactoria: A Game About Putting Robots In Their Place
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Manufactoria: A Game About Putting Robots In Their Place  (Read 146900 times)
Uberubert
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 26, 2010, 09:59:21 AM »

Conveyerbelts can still not be crossed :/ *sob* And I wanted to enhance my Police!-solution.

Anyways, Androids, 14 parts using 0:44 seconds. Though someone has probably been able to beat that already.
Edit: nvm, link doesn't work.. xP
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 10:03:01 AM by Uberubert » Logged
Wyrm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 26, 2010, 09:59:55 AM »

Conveyerbelts can still not be crossed :/ *sob* And I wanted to enhance my Police!-solution.
Shift. It is your friend.

Also, I should clarify - by androids I meant the level formally known as androids - equale numbers of B/R, any order. Had this argument with JWP earlier Wink

On the "real" androids I get 12 parts.

Also people - use (url=ADDRESS)description(/url) instead of (code)ADDRESS(/code)! If the (url) doesn't work for you, please use (code)(url)ADDRESS(/url)(/code) for those of us who it does work for! :D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 10:11:49 AM by Wyrm » Logged
Stereo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 26, 2010, 10:17:49 AM »

Androids is a good one to play with.  Try to beat 17 parts :D (and yes it works on any B/R input...)
Here you go, 12 parts Androids.  Logically it should work on any input, but I haven't tried all of them.
EDIT: oops, I was beaten to it.

Since Robot Tanks came up as well, my solution's not more optimized but it is different, so maybe it'll inspire something efficient. 28 pieces
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: May 26, 2010, 01:05:30 PM »

But please, I really don't like playing puzzle games like this and having to use the keyboard.
Reasonable!

You should be able to click through the cutscenes with a mouse...
In for the next version!

...and there should be a rotate button that you can click to rotate items.
Hm. That's a bit trickier. The UI is already ridiculously overstuffed as is...

...well, I suppose I just implemented it, so whatever. In for the next version! (It's going to be a bit slower/clunkier than the keyboard/hybrid UI version, but I think that's inevitable.)

...Why did the behavior change?
Because Sparky told me to!

No, seriously. Because people on my Formspring told me to.

No, actually seriously. Because, like Stereo, I found myself wanting to overwrite conveyor belts with conveyor belts going on a different axis far more often than I wanted to turn them into bridges.

Give it a shot! Once your muscle memory adjusts, I think it'll be much better.

-

Anyway, half the comments in this thread are about my changing the bridge-controls, so I think it may be necessary to make them clearer. Maybe I should make the controls-message at the bottom flash? Like, they could strobe.

I was joking the last time I suggested that, but I might not be this time.

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: May 26, 2010, 01:21:18 PM »

Ah, sorry - missed one. Here:

The per-test "best time" do not seem to be working.
I've gotten that complaint from elsewhere (formspring) as well, but haven't been able to replicate it. ("It works for me!") Does this happen on every level? Are you playing on Kongregate or on pleasingfungus.com?

(Interesting that the overall-time stat is still working...)

And others on my site.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: May 26, 2010, 04:26:10 PM »

Awesome, thanks, dude!  'Tis why I love indie games - instant gratification. Hand Thumbs Up LeftCave Story
Uberubert
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 27, 2010, 10:52:49 AM »

Shift. It is your friend.
Also, I should clarify - by androids I meant the level formally known as androids - equale numbers of B/R, any order. Had this argument with JWP earlier Wink
*snip*
Also people - use (url=ADDRESS)description(/url)..*snip*

Yay! Shift is now my friend! Also, nice Androids solution :D
Also, since I'm too lazy for proper linkage, here's a picture of my recently created Engineers - 25 parts!
Would be awesome to see an even shorter solution though. This game made efficiency fun!
Wyrm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 27, 2010, 12:42:04 PM »

Quote from: Uberubert
Also, since I'm too lazy for proper linkage, here's a picture of my recently created Engineers - 25 parts!
Would be awesome to see an even shorter solution though. This game made efficiency fun!

23 Wink - abusing those bridges counting as one for maximal space saving :D

I've discovered a new method though which is down to 20 parts, I'm quite proud of it :D

Now I'm done with exams though I can really concentrate on optimising....
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: May 27, 2010, 01:36:12 PM »

The Kongregate version now has shared levels via the Kong API! I'm kinda concerned about spoilers - level-pictures just pop up, unfiltered, on the right - but it'll probably work out.

Go have a look, post stuff on there! It's going to be so great, oh man oh man

(also: you can now flip the selection with space)

(per overwhelming demand)

And others on my site.
Uberubert
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 28, 2010, 03:05:20 AM »

I've discovered a new method though which is down to 20 parts, I'm quite proud of it :D

Wow that one is just amazing. I'm starting to doubt it can be done with any fewer parts!
Theotherguy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 30, 2010, 04:39:29 PM »

I love this game. It's also a good training tool for people learning about DFAs!

Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 31, 2010, 08:09:51 PM »

Congrats about the front page!

I have to finish beating all the levels some time soon...

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Katsew
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: June 01, 2010, 08:59:50 AM »

I'm ashamed to say that I didn't try this until it made the front page. It's absolute genius!

I haven't finished it yet, but I'm enjoying it very very much.

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: June 01, 2010, 12:38:28 PM »

Yes I skipped this thread because of the... erm, minimalistic graphics design apparent in the screen shots... Now that I've played it, it's actually pretty fun.

I can't figure out the solution to Police!. Mind you I've completed all other levels from the same column and a couple from the next... But how the hell do I put a yellow in the middle of the bloody string? Don't I need to count its length or something?
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: June 01, 2010, 04:10:18 PM »

Thanks, everyone! It is pretty gratifying to see Manufactoria on the front page of TIGSource. (Warts and all.)

And - I can't argue against any criticism of the graphics, really - but you have to realize. It's not very good at present, but it could have been a lot worse.

A lot worse.

(Those conveyor belts aren't animated, by the way. They just sat there. You had to figure out which way they were facing by squinting at them.)

-

Core Xii: It's been a while since I played that level myself, so I'm not completely sure this approach will work... but have you tried attacking the input from both sides at once?

Full-on spoiler (that last one was just a hint): Place one yellow (or a green - whichever) at the beginning, and another at the end. Iteratively move them forward and backwards, respectively (this is a bit tricky); when you read two yellows in a row, you'll know you've reached the middle, and you can leave one of them there. It'll probably also be necessary to use a third yellow (or a green) to mark the end of the string, so you can get it in the proper position at the very end... again, I've not played the level in a while, and there are probably better solutions than mine.

And others on my site.
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: June 02, 2010, 03:50:35 AM »

Ah yes, I thought about something along those lines but couldn't formulate my thoughts into an actual implementation.
man-man
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 02, 2010, 06:02:54 AM »

Smallest solution to Police I've seen came from Wyrm - link

It can be done faster but with more pieces if you place an initial green, read one and place a yellow, read on one more and place a green, then with each pass through a loop move the yellow forward one and the last green forward two, until the greens meet.
As seen in my design - link
and the inevitable "I made that smaller for you" version, also by Wyrm - link

But size ends up being more important than time when you're trying to use it as a subcomponent of something else.
naath
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 02, 2010, 07:33:02 AM »

Wow, finally finished Metatron... 142 parts, 3:17  (not sure how to share solutions sensibly).
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: June 02, 2010, 08:25:56 AM »

Laughably simple solution to Robospies!. It's ridiculously easy when you know that binaries of powers of 4 are always a one followed by a multiple of 2 zeros (1, 100, 10000, etc.). (highlight to view)
mjqxxxx
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 02, 2010, 07:55:35 PM »

Love the game!  I may have found a bug, though.  Below is a custom level and a proposed solution.  The solution passes the first four tests, but fails the fifth with "ACCEPTED, should have been REJECTED".  The problem is that it should be an *output* test, not a filter test...  If it's not a bug, what am I doing wrong?

?ctm=UnaryToTernary;OUTPUT:_Given_a_string_of_X_reds,_return_X_in_ternary_(R=0,_B=1,_G=2).;:r|r:b|rr:g|rrrr:bb|rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:gbr|rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:brrg;7;3;0;

?lvl=35&code=p14:5f4;q13:5f2;g13:4f3;r14:4f3;b14:6f1;c15:5f0;c9:6f3;p9:7f6;p9:8f6;p9:9f6;r9:10f2;c10:6f0;i10:7f4;i10:8f4;i10:9f4;c10:10f1;c11:6f0;q11:7f7;q11:8f7;q11:9f7;y12:6f0;y12:7f2;y12:8f2;y12:9f2;q13:6f4;i13:7f5;i13:8f5;i13:9f5;c13:10f0;r14:7f2;b14:8f2;g14:9f2;c15:6f1;c15:7f1;c15:8f1;c15:9f1;y12:5f3;&ctm=UnaryToTernary;OUTPUT:_Given_a_string_of_X_reds,_return_X_in_ternary_(R=0,_B=1,_G=2).;:r|r:b|rr:g|rrrr:bb|rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:gbr|rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:brrg;7;3;0;

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic