Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411722 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 22, 2024, 03:15:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 907593 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6980 on: June 23, 2015, 06:28:23 AM »

Princessa, the online in Journey was supposed to be famous because it enhanced the game by making a journey with another person actually beautiful. There's no communication, save a whistle (? havent actually played the game, my mem is shaky), so it's like having an AI, more than some nerd in his basement.
I know, but AI or real player, I would much prefer journeying completely alone.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6981 on: June 23, 2015, 01:53:42 PM »

I think Journey is fun both with and without the co-op. What really worked for the co-op is that the game is so simplistic - the "puzzles" are designed so that they can only move towards completion, never back, and one part with some moderately difficult platforming carries the second player when the first completes a sequence. Other parts of the game are just linear exploration, and the only enemies in the game "hurt" you in a way that never stops you from continuing to progress. Plus, you get infinite flight by being together and 'singing' to each other. You never hit a point where your partner holds you back or handicaps you.

If you take away the co-op, you still get a gorgeous series of levels to explore with a lovely soundtrack. It's good either way, which is great for those who have shaky internet anyway.

I picked up A Link Between Worlds and really enjoyed it. The way it introduces you to the sages and they gradually vanish during the first three dungeons is a really nice touch over the generic NPC sages in Zelda 3. I'm also pleased with the way that the dungeons and overworld play off the themes and layouts of Zelda 3, but much of the design is still original. The tool rental system seems needless - where the shop really shines is buying the weapons to get the "nice" upgrades. Unfortunately, on my first playthrough I didn't discover the snail until before the last dungeon and so had to retread the whole world collecting them to get the upgrades. I also didn't get the pegasus boots until late in the game, but it was nice that the game never stopped me from progressing without them.

I think my favorite bit, though, was the heavy use of multi-tiered rooms and outdoor sections of dungeons to show off depth. Going outside of the Eastern Palace when you first get the bracelet was a really great moment because it combines the novelty of the merging mechanic with the novelty of exploring a part of that dungeon that you never saw in Zelda 3.

Overall I really enjoyed it, and don't have anything negative to say.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6982 on: June 23, 2015, 02:01:32 PM »

ALBW was really nice yes. i don't care for the lttp connections personally (seemed like pure nostalgia pandering to me) but the pacing is great, esp compared to the last 3 console zeldas which were all drawn out to shit.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6983 on: June 23, 2015, 02:48:36 PM »

The Zelda 3 world was a huge turn-off when it was released, and the reason I didn't buy it when it came out. I was worried it would be too similar to the original.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6984 on: June 24, 2015, 01:42:54 PM »

i just found out that endless ocean (one of the most underrated wii games) is actually a "spiritual successor" to a series of ps2 games called everblue. i'll have to track those down now, damn.
JWK5
« Reply #6985 on: June 24, 2015, 03:11:37 PM »

So I am watching my son play Dragon's Dogma and he is just outside Cassardis systematically picking up NPCs and hurling them to their deaths over the cliff and laughing diabolically as they splat at the bottom.

It's one of those moments where as a parent I feel I should say something, so I said "Don't forget that one over there, he's trying to make a break for it."

I am just glad I wasn't the only one whose first instinct upon exiting Cassardis was to hurl NPCs off the cliff...

Now I kind of want to play Dragon's Dogma some more.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6986 on: June 24, 2015, 03:45:46 PM »

i just found out that endless ocean (one of the most underrated wii games) is actually a "spiritual successor" to a series of ps2 games called everblue. i'll have to track those down now, damn.
and aquanaut's holiday

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6987 on: June 24, 2015, 06:37:53 PM »

So I am watching my son play Dragon's Dogma and he is just outside Cassardis systematically picking up NPCs and hurling them to their deaths over the cliff and laughing diabolically as they splat at the bottom.

It's one of those moments where as a parent I feel I should say something, so I said "Don't forget that one over there, he's trying to make a break for it."

I am just glad I wasn't the only one whose first instinct upon exiting Cassardis was to hurl NPCs off the cliff...

Now I kind of want to play Dragon's Dogma some more.
i always did that. and still do it.

the truth is that the game has some nice gamefeel for when a character falls from a big height.

JWK5
« Reply #6988 on: June 25, 2015, 09:31:39 AM »

That and the inclusion of the ability to pick up just about any reasonably-sized NPC, downed enemy, or object and run around with them or throw them just made it an inevitability rather than merely a tendency.

I wish they would have put that mechanic to more use throughout the game (though it is pretty handy when it comes to picking up your near-dead teammates so they can't do anything stupid and running away from battle with them slung over your shoulder).
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6989 on: June 25, 2015, 10:46:16 AM »

i never knew you do could do that in dragons dogma tbh

anyway ive been playing dead rising 2 and it's ok. i was frustrated at first. everything about it, including the marketing, screams "stupid shallow sandbox game about hacking up zombies". once i figured out that you're actually supposed to play this game and not just dick around in it, it suddenly started to make sense lol. interesting idea to combine a survival horror game with brawler gameplay and majoras mask esque timed quests, even if its not always successful.

story is complete throwaway trash ofc, but couldnt they have at least TRIED to make the protagonist not completely unlikeable? this is one of those instances where game writers take a standard douchey white male "antihero" and give him a daughter (its always a daughter lol) because they think it'll somehow give the character depth or sth. piss.

i remember having a similar experience with the dead rising 1 when i played it ages ago btw.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 10:54:24 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
JWK5
« Reply #6990 on: June 25, 2015, 02:50:12 PM »

i never knew you do could do that in dragons dogma tbh
It's actually pretty awesome for when you are fighting the harpies because as soon as one gets knocked out of the sky you can run over, pick it up, and run and throw it to your party members who beat the crap out of it while it is stunned from the throw. It's also handy for creating breathing room when enemies come at you in groups, especially in areas where the terrain has varying heights (basically allowing you to section of the enemies for a while and cut them down while they're in smaller groups).

There's also rocks and other debris in the terrain you can throw as a weapon which is nice if you're playing as a range-limited fighter.

I believe it is either the L2 or R2 button that does it on the PS3, it's been a while. I can see how you might go the whole game without even realizing it's there, nothing really mentions it I just found out by pressing buttons to see what does what (as I usually do with just about any game).
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6991 on: June 25, 2015, 03:09:48 PM »

Yeah its R2. Someo enemies when grabbed from their backs, you will not lift them, but just hold them, rendering defenseless to your party. Since they hardly share the same target priorities, it is not that useful, but can work for debuffs and stuff.

JWK5
« Reply #6992 on: June 25, 2015, 03:32:20 PM »

It also depends on how big the group is, in a large group of enemies your AI allies go apeshit and aren't really useful when it comes to doing anything but in a small group they are a little less inept and grabbing the enemies from behind becomes a lot more effective.

That is why I like having archers and offense-heavy mages as my backup, they seem to be a lot more on the ball about playing the support role than the fighters are. The fighters are only really worthwhile when it comes to doing things like using the shield rap to draw away the enemy. Other than that they kind of just run around whacking things at random and often get themselves surrounded and killed.

The healing mages are only really worthwhile when you limit them to ONLY healing spells, anything else and they will sit there trying to save you from status ailments you don't have and buffing you with buffs you don't need instead of healing you.

The AI would benefit greatly with the FF12 gambit setup.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 03:39:08 PM by JWK5 » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6993 on: June 25, 2015, 04:44:40 PM »

That is why I like having archers and offense-heavy mages as my backup, they seem to be a lot more on the ball about playing the support role than the fighters are. The fighters are only really worthwhile when it comes to doing things like using the shield rap to draw away the enemy. Other than that they kind of just run around whacking things at random and often get themselves surrounded and killed.

playing a fighter and having archers and mages as your pawns is the only way to play aught's dogma imo. actually playing a mage yourself is extremely boring. melee is obviously the core part of the game and has the most depth. also yes fighter AI is terrible.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:57:32 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6994 on: June 25, 2015, 04:55:54 PM »

all str and dex classes were good for playing yourself (magick archer was so convenient), but pure int are terrible

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6995 on: June 26, 2015, 01:01:58 AM »

There were some monsters that you couldn't kill with magic (Golem) or without ranged attacks (Metal Golem), so you pretty much had to pick a dex class to beat the game. Also, only dex vocations had access to dodge, which was crucial in Dark Arisen. But otherwise all were fun and viable enough. Except maybe the Warrior.

I was really in love with this game, so I have a character with all the classes maxed, and honestly, playing as the Sorceror had its charm too. Finding a good strategic moment to cast those huge spells is best done by the player and can make some Dark Arisen battles rather easy. You can also take several spells that you wouldn't want to leave to the AI and have more direct fun with them -- like the lightning whip one, or the one that surrounds you in electric aura. Lastly, there's a fun mechanic that if you have a wizard pawn carrying the same spells as you do, they try to actively mirror and empower your casts.
Double casting a lvl-3 charged meteor shower is probably the best Hand Metal LeftWizardHand Metal Right experience I had in games.

Quote from: JWK5
The healing mages are only really worthwhile when you limit them to ONLY healing spells, anything else and they will sit there trying to save you from status ailments you don't have and buffing you with buffs you don't need instead of healing you.

The AI would benefit greatly with the FF12 gambit setup.
You can alter your pawn's AI through actions, talking at the inn, or feeding them special potions. One preset is focused on healing. It's not as flexible as gambits but alleviates some frustration still.

Also, is this a good moment to say that Capcom shouldn't focus on lame MMO-like shit like Deep Down and do Dragon's Dogma 2 instead?

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
JWK5
« Reply #6996 on: June 26, 2015, 01:36:30 PM »

You can alter your pawn's AI through actions, talking at the inn, or feeding them special potions. One preset is focused on healing. It's not as flexible as gambits but alleviates some frustration still.
Unfortunately they seldom seem to pay much attention to their commands unless they are very limited in their skill set (for example, they pretty much only have the one or two skills you primarily want them to use). Even then they charge blindly into battle and get themselves murdered at an obscene rate when there are a lot of enemies. I've managed that a little better by beating them to the enemy and lifting them up and running them out of the immediate battlefield when they get a little too crazy with the Cheez Wiz. It is still an awesome game and fortunately the AI doesn't have to be kept on 24/7 suicide watch, but it is still very frustrating that they tend to spaz out just when you need them the most.

Also, is this a good moment to say that Capcom shouldn't focus on lame MMO-like shit like Deep Down and do Dragon's Dogma 2 instead?
It gets worse: a "free-to-play" Dragon's Dogma Online (PS4, PS3, PC, etc.).

Meanwhile, producer Minae Matsukawa and director Kent Kinoshita insist that micro-transactions shouldn't prevent the game from feeling like a proper Dragon's Dogma adventure to returning players.
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6997 on: June 26, 2015, 01:46:44 PM »

finished twilight princess. wasnt too bad. a lot of parts felt super tedious. i guess im surprised zelda games still get super high review scores.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #6998 on: June 26, 2015, 02:22:30 PM »

explain tedious

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6999 on: June 26, 2015, 09:14:59 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 486
Print