Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411552 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58442 Members - Latest Member: spitcards

May 03, 2024, 08:31:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesGang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: Gang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]  (Read 477860 times)
Kastere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2008, 08:25:01 PM »

I'm not sure how I feel about Engies being able to spawn 3 sentries--that would mean that a team basically has to switch to Engie only and then set them up all over the level, effectively reaming the other teams ass. The they just need to get a Heavy or two and just loop back and forth from base to base.
Andraculoid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2008, 09:31:43 PM »

If someone wouldn't mind, I am having problems making a map,
its not the fact of actually making the map, im just wondering the pixel dimensions,
that the map should actually be.

if anyone could possibly make a template or something for me,
I would be forever thankful.  Kiss
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2008, 01:41:41 AM »

I must admit, that possibly before implementing another map...maybe the Engie and Spy could be given their sentries, teleporters, back-stab and cloak?  Grin

The errors are not bothering me too much, but they are very constant I will agree.

~Thinking of doing a Cyberpunk rts/rpg using Pixel-Art/Sprites as well as chiptune music and other 8-bit stuff.
Andraculoid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2008, 01:51:06 AM »

they can both be done at the same time,
besides that, we need something to do
whilst these networking errors
are cleared up.

The map idea I have spinning in my head is a city based map,
with maybe a building built into spawn where there would be a window
for defence against the other team, some sky scrapers which can be reached by
the scout classes and ones who wish to risk health for a higher advantage,
then the street, fully clustered with flipped vehicles, broken trees,
general debris you'd find in a city,
and then lastly, a sewer with multiple exits onto the street.
Raytheon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2008, 03:21:33 AM »

i'd love to do some pixel art for this
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2008, 04:25:58 AM »

Just to update you, I'm getting ahead quite well with the networking update. There's now an option to limit the number of players who can join your server, and the improved protocol for transmitting what the players are doing seems to work well. In laggy situations you might jump around on the screen a bit, but I think it's still a big improvement over the jerky movement we had until now. There's still a lot to do, but I can put up a test version soon, to check how it fares in actual internet play.
Vaati
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2008, 05:02:08 AM »

Just to update you, I'm getting ahead quite well with the networking update. There's now an option to limit the number of players who can join your server, and the improved protocol for transmitting what the players are doing seems to work well. In laggy situations you might jump around on the screen a bit, but I think it's still a big improvement over the jerky movement we had until now. There's still a lot to do, but I can put up a test version soon, to check how it fares in actual internet play.

Sounds awesome. I'll be willing to host said test servers once you give out the update. Smiley

Edit: Also, is it possible to include an autokicker to disconnect idle clients? Usually in really full servers there's always a fair amount of idle inactive people and that might also be hording usable bandwidth.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 05:08:32 AM by Vaati » Logged
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2008, 06:44:47 AM »

Andraculoid, I like the sound of that map idea you have.

Btw MedO, the update sounds like it's going to be great.
And you're right, lan doesn't seem to be an issue for play, just when its the big-time internet.

~Thinking of doing a Cyberpunk rts/rpg using Pixel-Art/Sprites as well as chiptune music and other 8-bit stuff.
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2008, 07:08:35 AM »

I've put up a new *alpha* version for you to test. There's a lot still left to be done, and all kinds of weird stuff may happen (you may be hit by invisible rockets, for example - as I said, there's still a lot left to improve/implement), but I want to get a first impression for actual internet play as soon as possible. Please compare this version to the old one and tell me your impressions (at this stage it might still be worse than the old version - don't know though, that's why I need this test).

To avoid version clashes, I've updated the Lobby Server to only show Servers that use the same Game version as you do. Again, this is an ALPHA. Don't complain if some stuff is currently broken.

Get it at http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~smaxein/netoverhaul.zip and post your impressions here.
Stefan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2008, 07:15:00 AM »

I've put up a new *alpha* version for you to test. There's a lot still left to be done, and all kinds of weird stuff may happen (you may be hit by invisible rockets, for example - as I said, there's still a lot left to improve/implement), but I want to get a first impression for actual internet play as soon as possible. Please compare this version to the old one and tell me your impressions (at this stage it might still be worse than the old version - don't know though, that's why I need this test).

To avoid version clashes, I've updated the Lobby Server to only show Servers that use the same Game version as you do. Again, this is an ALPHA. Don't complain if some stuff is currently broken.

Get it at http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~smaxein/netoverhaul.zip and post your impressions here.

It's running fine, but no one appears to be on.
IDTL
Level 0

Woo.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2008, 08:17:29 AM »

Hm. I have a question. I know you get tons of posts asking about things that need improving or adding, but I just wonder if you could make it load the sounds from a a directory, like make this game have a folder in program files, and when it loads the sounds from a directory, they are replaceable and such, so we can put custom sounds, if someone wants to.
HELLTRIKKY
Level 0

They'r gonna have to glue you back together...

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2008, 09:01:37 AM »

Awesome game, I love to deflect missiles with my sticky bombs :D...

I will try to make a map for this , keep up the good work...btw, it needs a chat, just sayin

EDIT

.........CHEERS!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 09:40:05 AM by HELLTRIKKY » Logged

...IN HELL!!
andykd7
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2008, 09:03:53 AM »

This is my map idea.(YeaI know its made on MS Paint). I am not a very good artist  but could you use Corel Paint Shop pro to make a map?
Oh and I love this game its awesome i can't wait until spy and engi are done(was i supposed to call them that hmmm)

Gang Garrison is Awesome
TedJustice
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2008, 09:12:04 AM »

I've been playing the netfix, but it doesn't seem to do too much.  It crashed a lot less, but people were falling through the ground randomly and sometimes I would fly around the stage randomly as well.  And it did crash once or twice.  But other than that it seems to be ok.
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2008, 09:33:39 AM »

Hm. I have a question. I know you get tons of posts asking about things that need improving or adding, but I just wonder if you could make it load the sounds from a a directory, like make this game have a folder in program files, and when it loads the sounds from a directory, they are replaceable and such, so we can put custom sounds, if someone wants to.

Sorry, but I have to draw the line somewhere. If mrfredman is OK with it, we can release the source later so that you can do stuff like that yourself, but I want to get finished with this game some day. And I certainly can't keep committing as much time to development as I currently do.

I've been playing the netfix, but it doesn't seem to do too much.  It crashed a lot less, but people were falling through the ground randomly and sometimes I would fly around the stage randomly as well.  And it did crash once or twice.  But other than that it seems to be ok.

I told you strange stuff would happen Smiley. That's because the new networking protocol cannot transmit positions outside the level, so when the server thinks a player is outside (because he has been shot through the walls) he will seem to fall through the levels on the clients.

I didn't expect the crashing to stop completely yet, but if the server sets the player limit low enough (depends on the Server's upstream bandwidth), it shouldn't happen anymore.

I'll work on the networking for a bit more now, but after that you won't get a new version until next Sunday. I have a job over the week, and programming on the evening when you've already been staring at the screen all day makes Jack a dull boy. Or something.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 09:37:33 AM by MedO » Logged
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2008, 09:34:04 AM »

Since there is so much interest in map making, I'll do my best to give my best explanation about how I went about it.

I just drew it all in photoshop and then MedO was kind enough to block it out in Game Maker and get it running in the game. I mean there isn't much of a strategy that I used. I just started drawin. I started with the intel on the left side and drew my way inward, then I just mirrored it, and changed the colors. Doing the background just involved me sitting and being creative for a few hours. I don't really have instructions for how to do that.

If you want to make a map for the game, just draw something and post it here. I can help get it in the proper format for the game (if it's not already) and we can send it over to MedO to add to his to-do list.

The dimensions of the original background are 1474 x 200, but I think as long as you keep that same height you'll be fine. It would probably also work if it were 400 pixels tall. I just like doing my art really small to give it that pixel art look, and then scale it up when I'm done, but you can do it at a small size and we can use Game Maker to stretch it to the right size.

Due to the fact that we are using Game Maker for this game, it will probably make modding and customization difficult. So there really isn't a way for people to get their user-made content working without MedO's help. Once the game is "done" (or we're done working on it) I'd be totally ok releasing the .gmk file's (I'd like a copy myself) but definitely not until this competition is over.

I love people's excitement, so if you just want to make some random art for the game, by all means go ahead, and if its good or usefull we can try and find something to do with it.
HELLTRIKKY
Level 0

They'r gonna have to glue you back together...

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2008, 09:46:37 AM »

Once the game is "done" (or we're done working on it) I'd be totally ok releasing the .gmk file's (I'd like a copy myself) but definitely not until this competition is over.

AWESOME! Beer!

...IN HELL!!
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2008, 09:59:11 AM »

Just tried the netfix. I didn't have any issues with lag... but on the server I joined, there were a few people who kept falling through the floor. I couldn't tell if they were doing it on purpose or not, but they'd be standing on top of the level, then inside it, then they'd fall through the floor and show up on top of the level again, it was very weird.

Also, my thoughts on the Engineer and Spy:

Engineer
So after actually playing with a lot of people, I'm kinda thinking the allowing the engineer to build three sentries is a bit much. Unless the sentries are really weak. I think the engineer should either be able to build one sentry who is really strong (can take out a heavy) or three small weak sentries (all three firing at once can take out a heavy). I know people have been asking for teleporters, but I don't think that would be particularly usefull, there really isn't anywhere to safely build one on my map, and it seems like upcoming maps are going to be even smaller. A dispenser would be nice if MedO has time for it, but it's far from necessary.

Spy
I have always though that the spy shouldn't be able to cloak, because it's pretty useless in a 2d game, there is nowhere you can hide and uncloak. Also, how would you see your character? (rhetorical) I've always thought that the spies right-click ability should be that he gets disguised as a member of the opposite team. The player doesn't get to choose which one, just every time you right click it changes, so if you have something in mind you can take the time to get it up and running. I do really like the idea of knives and backstabs, the thing is we haven't done any melee weapons, and I feel like it would be a headache to implement one. Oh man, I just had an awesome idea for the Spy's main fire. So get this, he doesn't have a gun, just a knife, and you can't attack UNLESS it's a backstab, in which case when you left-click you backstab. The other thing left-click should do is destroy sentries. To summarize, the spy's left-click does two things, but only when you are next to the target; backstab when next to a player, and destroy sentry when next to a sentry.

Those are my thoughts, I'm gonna keep brainstorming and playing and see if it continues making sense to me, but I'd be interested in what people think about 3 weak sentries vs 1 strong sentry. Both are appealing and I think both would work, we just gotta figure out which people would prefer.
Vaati
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2008, 10:06:33 AM »

/v/idya - US West server reporting in.

Still some complaints about crashing but it's A LOT less than the first build. Also, some people are reporting random flying and falling through walls (although demomen launching people into space/though walls and floors may be in part to blame for this)

Other than that, no crashes server side and running at around 10-20% cpu with other stuff and browsing going on despite how many people are playing. (Lag seems to be a regional issue for sure however)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 10:09:54 AM by Vaati » Logged
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2008, 10:12:07 AM »

So, uh... What's the secret class Wink

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic