Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411708 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 03:57:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting99 Problems ~ Christmas Version out
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: 99 Problems ~ Christmas Version out  (Read 2659 times)
vedsten
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2014, 06:38:07 AM »

DECEMBER PROBLEMS RELEASED

We've just released a Christmas version of 99 Problems with new features, levels and a fancy new approach to NewGame+ (compared to the old version anyway). It mostly consists of mechanics and level ideas that never made it into the original. This bummed us out as we saw potential ~ thus we decided to do an update. It's still FREE, play it:

Play online HERE! (Gamejolt)

Or download it for your phone/tablet (also free)

AppStore / Google Play

Original Game: 99 Problems

Or download it for your phone/tablet (it's free)

AppStore / Google Play

Cheers,
Mads
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:51:43 AM by vedsten » Logged
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 07:53:59 AM »

I like the concept, it was easy to learn. The only thing that threw me off was the physics. I don't know why, but I expected it to be quite different. Once I got used to it, it became a fun and challenging game. I got bored at 89, though. That is the first level where I could feel the challenges from the past level "stay" during the apparition of the next one. I'd give it more of a chance if I played it on mobile, I think. I enjoyed it.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
noumenus
Level 2

tired

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 06:54:57 PM »

this game is addictive. I'm on like 73rd problem. The physics are a bit unpredictable at times. It has a flappy bird feel to it, but with more strategy involved. Some of the movements the blocks make are really interesting and bring a lot of life to the game.

noumenus
Level 2

tired

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 07:25:17 PM »

I made it to like 60 problems, and then it took me back to 90, so I guess I beat it

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 08:45:53 PM »

Does the height of your jump depend on how your "character" is rotated at the time, or is it just random? I didn't like how the game felt, personally. If it is rotation-dependent, though, then that's a nice idea and I like that it would require some practice and decent timing.

Sometimes enemies kill me if I touch them and other times they just react by spinning. I don't know why that is.

I didn't play long, since it doesn't seem like my kind of game (especially the unpredictability of the controls). I do think it's a good concept, though. I like the idea of endless jumping in order to dodge things. It's different and it works pretty well.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
qwqwqw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 01:10:35 AM »

I loved the minimalist concept. I think this game will feel good on mobile platforms. It is a pity that not all levels. With pleasure reached 64. And upset that there are no more levels, began again with 90.

Sorry for my english. I use the Google translator.

Russian blog about true indie games - http://trueindiegames.blogspot.ru

My twitter - https://twitter.com/trueindiegames
lefti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 06:46:37 PM »

I liked it. Got to 80 problems. I played on a PC, but this is the sort of game which would feel great on mobile, it's simple, challenging and fun. It was a bit confusing at first, do I have to collect these blocks, or dodge them? But that became apparent the moment I got smashed to pieces when touching one. It was neat how those blocks rotated when you went close by, gave a feeling of "OH yeah I freaking made it".

Some sort of continue from last problem would be nice.
marialuiza
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 04:14:49 AM »

i startred to play this game an di really liekd it guys   Gomez My Word! Mock Anger Big Laff Cool
PeteDevlin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 12:45:26 PM »

Consider the amount of feedback on here a success, the idea is really good! I only got to 89 but a quicker numbering pace would help, physics felt strangely OK to me. Needs a thumping backing track, like SuperHexagon. Also a speedrun world leader board!
JayCrafton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 07:03:35 PM »

Hey! I really like your game. The control is great and the animations are smooth. It makes for an all around great experience! I would like to know however if you're interested in a sound track for your game. I make music of all different genres for different games. You can check out my portfolio at www.soundcloud.com/JayCrafton. Please send me an email if you're interested.

My Music Portfolio: www.soundcloud.com/jaycrafton
vedsten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 05:37:03 AM »

Update! (check original post)

@alvarop: thanks a bunch for the feedback! I suspect that it's the low jump speed/ low gravity that's throwing you off and we might try to play a bit around with the values. We've fixed the issue with "ghosts" from previous levels by just letting everything keep their respective velocities when th gravity changes.

@noumenus: thanks! and yes, you must have completed all the current levels. There are some new ones now (levels 74 and down), but we're still to implement a skip option so wait for that before you try it out again Smiley

@Quicksand-S: The hight of the jump is not random, nor does it depend on the rotation of the avatar. It simply add velocity to the Y speed. The collision issue you mention have been a common theme in the feedback, we've tried to make it more clear in the current version. Thanks alot for the feedback <3

@qwqwqw: Thanks a lot! I'm crafting more levels at the moment so hopefully we'll have some new ones for you soon!

@lefti: Thanks Smiley we're trying to stay away from too much tutorial stuff and let players figure it out for them selves since the possibility space isn't that big on the first few levels. It might be a risky strategy for touch-devices though Shocked... As for saving: on mobile (and in future web version) you'll always start from the last completed level!  Glad you liked it and thanks for the feedback Smiley

@marialuiza: Thanks  Toast Left

@PeteDevlin: Quicker numbering pace seem to be a common wish, we'll grant it in the next version! We're are working on music atm., but we are very keen to make it match movement which is a bit of a pain, but hopefully we'll be able to make something awesome. We'll make sure to give people ample opportunities to compete! Thanks a lot for the feedback and kind words!

@JayCrafton: Thankyou Smiley
vedsten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 05:21:00 AM »

UPDATE
5 new levels
Tweaked "jump" mechanic (again)
Improved collision detection (and larger hit-boxes)
Better visual feedback on near-hits and hits
Pimp (debris and screenshake)
A new level mechanic (test it on levels 74-70)
Changed enemy pulser movement
Improved difficulty curve

We like to know:
If you stopped playing within the first 10 levels we'd like to know why?
How do you like the changes (if you tried previous versions)?
ANY input on ANYTHING (or just comments) is greatly appreciated!

PLAY!
vedsten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 04:44:11 AM »

After months of development (and what feels like an eternity in apple review center), 99 Problems is finally out Toast Left
Thanks for all the feedback during the process, we hope you enjoy the final product Smiley

Or download it for your phone/tablet (it's free)

AppStore / Google Play

Cheers,
Mads
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 10:42:49 AM »

played the hell out of this shit. beat it just now. let me tell you: it's brilliant, dude.

brilliant.

some notes:

-the ads have a tendency, especially near the end, to cause you to die because they spawn on the top of the screen, and you sometimes need the top of the screen. i don't know what to do with this, but it's kind of a thing
-it says "01 problems" at the end, which is cute but also grammatically incorrect
-some of the levels seem oddly placed; as in, the difficulty is curved pretty well in general, but sometimes you hit a Giant Stopgap that's way worse than the ones after it for a while. 37 killed me way more than anything for the next fifteen or so levels
-i liked that 10 was just a bunch of 10s
-i liked that you pulled off the trick of making some endgame levels just twisted, horrifyingly difficult versions of earlier levels

good game

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 11:24:59 AM »

The result is really cool. Just played it again and from what I remember, I was able to enjoy it more this time.

edit : I'm actually having a lot of fun with this on mobile. Some people have asked me what this game is about and I shared it with them!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:19:04 PM by alvarop » Logged

vedsten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 08:58:45 AM »

New version of 99 Problems out.
New mechanics and brand new levels.
Try it out here:
GameJolt / AppStore / Google Play
Any input would be appreciated. Also, any ideas or input for an endless version is very welcome!
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 09:09:04 AM »

dude! gonna grab this as soon as my semester break hits.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 11:54:28 AM »

Niiiiiice! I'm still playing this game every now and then btw. It's really good.

PlanarChaos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 04:22:53 PM »

Fun game man, really addictive! already downloaded it to my tablet  Smiley
Klaubauf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 02:44:02 AM »

Really fun game, will be sure to play more of it and support new versions!

I like the way your character increases in velocity the more you click it.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic