Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 11:00:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesLooking Back on Muslim Massacre
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27
Print
Author Topic: Looking Back on Muslim Massacre  (Read 67702 times)
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2009, 03:40:28 PM »

There is chaos going on all around the world causing people anguish every day and this has been going on for millions of years. If you look at yourself in the grand scheme of time and space, you will see yourself absorbed in this enormous bubble of never ending drama.
Turmoil is a natural consequence of human existence. I simply walked out of that bubble.

So when was the last time you missed a meal? Or had half your family gunned down by people because they were'nt part of the right clan? It's so easy to tiredly wave away the world's dramas when the harshest your life gets is explaining bad grades to your parents. I would suggest you get around a bit, live with the poorest in this world, share their experiences and downgrade your comfort level. You'll get an appreciation for the opportunity of a calm, insipid life that was given to you. Sorry if that sounds judgemental, but the kind of discourse you're holding is one I hear too often from people living far away from any real suffering. It's easy to say something is irrelevant when you're not directly concerned by it's effects.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2009, 07:36:09 PM »

To me, the entire Muslim Massacre drama was completely irrelevant to the grand scheme of life. So are wars in the Middle East, so is the news and so is fame. There is chaos going on all around the world causing people anguish every day and this has been going on for millions of years. If you look at yourself in the grand scheme of time and space, you will see yourself absorbed in this enormous bubble of never ending drama. Some people try and get rid of that bubble or make it smaller, but it continues to grow. Some people are addicted to that bubble because there is nothing going on inside of themselves that they can nurture. Turmoil is a natural consequence of human existence. I simply walked out of that bubble. If you got your panties in a bunch over Muslim Massacre, well, I'm not sorry, but I feel sorry for you. Muslim Massacre is a grand experiment in making you upset, because ultimately you just love being in that bubble, so eat it up.

Pleasingly to me, a lot more people than just Muslims were offended by the game. I think that is a good thing. My intent was never to specifically offend Muslims, although I did acknowledge that that was inevitable. I did intend on offending as many people as possible, but hey, there really is no deeper meaning behind that. Almost everything I have ever done on the internet is offensive, and I think things that are offensive are hilarious, so Muslim Massacre really is not special in that regard. I realized the entire Muslim stigma issue was a cultural sensitivity at the time and I realized it was ripe for plucking. If I were to embark on this journey again today, it would probably be something completely different.

However, I realized that taking the game down from my site wouldn't do shit because it was all over the internet by that time, although I did want to send a message to people that I wasn't interested in dabbling in their political affairs (pretty much because I thought they were retarded).

So, if I understand this correctly: you deliberately released a highly politically charged game because you weren't interested in dabbling in political affairs? Doesn't something about that seem a little, oh, I don't know, stupid to you?

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2009, 11:37:21 PM »

Tactless, too. You don't laugh hysterically at a funeral, for example.
Movius
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2009, 12:04:40 AM »

Hello, I'm a self-righteous cunt too. can I join in the fun?
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2009, 04:57:33 AM »

Back on the tracks with you, thread!

Also, I'll be honest and say that sigvatr never came off as a nice person to me, and maybe the types of games he posted WIP art/videos of showed him off as immature, though I could be wrong about that since I'm not sure aout all that he's worked on. At least the ones I saw were focused on violence or war for no reason, usually.

So I guess it's hard to defend yourself when something like MM happens if you don't seem to have a good track record to begin with.

Same, even if i don't know if he's a nice person or not, but i feel like both he and MM have a sort of immature fetish for senseless violence, i'm all for violence too, but the "shoot in the head" type not the "ass rape and piss over a corpse" one, Berserk was quite a shit of a concept imo...

also i remember myself saying that Muslim Massacre was awful (mostly the concept, the execution was pretty good) and i was bashed from a lot of tigers claiming it was a clever parody of americans stupidity and such... it was not
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 05:00:45 AM by Eclipse » Logged

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2009, 05:26:00 AM »

Quote from: Sigvatr
It's not very often that I post a frank, honest article like this on the internet

Yeah, but this doesn't really seem all that frank and honest either.

Now, I think it is OK make artwork with the intent to offend people. A lot of great artists, from Marcel Duchamp to Andres Serrano, have followed this path. Offense is a strong emotional reaction which can tell us something about ourselves and our beliefs. And I think Muslim Massacre had artistic value that can't be taken away just because you make posts like this about it.

But this:
So ultimately, there was no deeper meaning to be found in Muslim Massacre. It was simply a case of me vomiting some garbage on the internet so I could get it out of my system and move on with life.

This is just the same dishonest retreat that you were posting at the time you put the game out. Why not just admit that you think offensive things can be valuable, and actually stand up for what you were trying to do with your game? Or, if you think you made a mistake in releasing it, why not own up to the actual mistakes that you made, rather than trying to pass it off as some personal catharsis that had nothing to do with anything?

Like someone pointed out earlier, there were lots of people here who were willing to stand up for your game and its artistic choices, but you chose instead to take this dishonest stance which says that nobody understands the game because there is nothing to understand.

The is the kind of stuff that Eminem is constantly saying, and you are now the Eminem of indie gaming. That's why people here are pissed off at you - not because your game was offensive.
Sigvatr
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2009, 06:45:02 AM »

Obviously infuriating people was the cover of the book, all of you guys saying that I was just trying to piss people off are retarded and missing the point entirely. Offending people was taken for granted from the get go, I simply was trying to explain my reasons for doing so.

This isn't really any different from the media who shook up a big story based entirely off of the game title.

So you figured out that game was meant to be offensive? Well done! Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmiley
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2009, 06:47:50 AM »

I think there's a nice guy in there just waiting to be let out.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2009, 06:59:14 AM »

Obviously infuriating people was the cover of the book, all of you guys saying that I was just trying to piss people off are retarded and missing the point entirely. Offending people was taken for granted from the get go, I simply was trying to explain my reasons for doing so.

This isn't really any different from the media who shook up a big story based entirely off of the game title.

So you figured out that game was meant to be offensive? Well done! Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmiley

Guess what? Your story of being a young man finding himself is boring and no one gives a shit! The story that you are a racist or that you are raging against the machine is much more interesting! The idea that the media "shook up a big story based entirely off the games title" doesn't matter when you don't say things to the contrary. The world is bigger then you and it will use you for its own ends, the purpose or whatever is entirely secondary to what people project onto it, unless you can convince them otherwise, but all  you've done is say in essence "Fuck you, you are wrong, and you are retarded for being wrong".

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Sigvatr
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2009, 07:08:18 AM »

This thread is now about giving me LIFE LESSONS.
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2009, 07:13:04 AM »

there's a lot of life lessons when you're 14 years old.

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2009, 08:22:08 AM »

Deviant behavior is attributed to attention seeking. Do you feel neglected in your childhood/puberty?

Here, relax on this couch... we'll get to the bottom of this.  Wizard
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2009, 10:56:16 AM »

Let us talk of these LIFE LESSONS.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 02:36:34 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2009, 11:11:15 AM »

Obviously infuriating people was the cover of the book, all of you guys saying that I was just trying to piss people off are retarded and missing the point entirely.

Hmm, okay, let's have another look:

My enemies are people who pin their unhappiness and problems on other people. It might be the government, parents, cops or maybe just some guy on the internet making a game that offends you. These are my enemies and I am not one of them.

To distinguish myself in my own mind from qualities and attitudes that I do not want for myself, I created and released this game.

Pleasingly to me, a lot more people than just Muslims were offended by the game. I think that is a good thing... I did intend on offending as many people as possible, but hey, there really is no deeper meaning behind that. Almost everything I have ever done on the internet is offensive, and I think things that are offensive are hilarious, so Muslim Massacre really is not special in that regard. I realized the entire Muslim stigma issue was a cultural sensitivity at the time and I realized it was ripe for plucking.

People who get upset at controversial things piss you off, so you make controversial things to piss them off, and you get pleasure from it.  Hey, I know... if you go around kicking enough dogs, maybe you'll find one that doesn't try to bite you so it can be your friend.  And the bonus?  You get to kick a lot of dogs.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure I understand perfectly.  You really are just raging against the machine.  You're some schmuck kid with a big ego who thinks you're better than the rest of the society at large because of some arbitrary bullshit mantra you made up for yourself to confirm your own special snowflake status.  And on top of that, an opportunist who seeks out painful or touchy subjects that genuinely affect others in order to exploit them for your own personal amusement.  Good job.  You're a douche.

So stop being a douche.

tweet tweet @j_younger
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2009, 12:19:48 PM »

If you just wanted to get something out of your system, why upload the game? You could have barfed all over your own harddrive and kept it there, why vomit over the whole world because you have a personal matter to solve?

all of you guys saying that I was just trying to piss people off are retarded
Calling people retarded over the internet is seldom constructive.

This thread is now about giving me LIFE LESSONS.
Why did you create the thread?
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2009, 02:29:01 PM »

So is your new project to piss off the indie gaming community? Because you're doing a bang-up job so far.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2009, 02:36:08 PM »

I disagree. He's more amusing than irritating, in how he attempts to place the blame of his problems on us. Perhaps sad as well.

What sigvatr needs is a big manhug.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2009, 02:46:34 PM »

I bet his subconscious is double-thinking but doing it wrong...

Guyz, one of us is supposed to say something cool and inspiring that will change his course of action, but we're not doing it.

Oh yeah, and this is the first I heard of the game. Just wanted to throw that in there.

...And yeah he is coming off as a middle-class stuck-up white-boy.

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2009, 03:03:41 PM »

Guyz, one of us is supposed to say something cool and inspiring that will change his course of action, but we're not doing it.

He burnt out a lot of our good will in the last thread, it seems like we are lining up to get our kicks in right now.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2009, 04:02:48 PM »

Yeah as I said, I think his subconscious really messed up on the double-thinking part. I think the time for which we could actually say something cool is pretty much past, unless someone can make a reply that even the most un-fazed of us (SuperJoe?) would find inspiring.

Too bad really, because when such pseudo-scientific plots work out it can be really neat and revelatory. (This is taken from experience.)

Sorry, bit of a tangent here.

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic