Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411607 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 07:29:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGTime Shark II: Medieval Shark Strike Force *COMPLETED*
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Time Shark II: Medieval Shark Strike Force *COMPLETED*  (Read 45815 times)
Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 01:21:30 PM »

I just tried the PC version, I get a missing dll popup (MSVCP80.dll). After some short searching I believe it comes down to that TimeShark requires Win XP and up  Sad

Just to let you know and just blame my old OS  Wink

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 01:42:22 PM »

Hmm... that's weird, but yeah, I don't think Visual Studio 8 compiled things will necessarily run on older Windows versions.

I'm uploading a new OS X version which includes the Frameworks it requires in the universal binary package. I'll let you know when it's up.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 02:12:47 PM »

Worked for me on WinXP, but I have dev tools and junk installed so who knows.

I love the MegaMan-style explosion when you land on the spikes and die!

Also my wife just pointed out that apparently, by talking about this game's intro, I automatically lose due to Godwin's Law.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2008, 02:14:10 PM »

All right, a new OS X version is up which should start correctly.

There is a known issue if you hammer on your keyboard really fast through the entire opening where you can skip over the condition where the game actually starts. If it happens to you, quit out and restart and don't do that. Maybe just chill out instead.

Also, sometimes you can be hit through walls. If this happens, let me know and I'll send you an apology card with some flowers*.

Unfortunately, I have to spend the rest of the day on homework, so these bugs are not going to be addressed.

*I won't really do that.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2008, 02:16:26 PM »

I love the Metroid theme, fun game. Very funny.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »

I've been compiling stuff with mingw lately on windows, because it statically links the runtime, thereby avoiding most redistributable hell. Im doing it so i dont have to package the VC9 redistributable, but it should work for the 8 one as well.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2008, 02:22:55 PM »

So it's a redistributable thing? Should I be packaging that file with the game?

Formerly "I Like Cake."
ProgZmax
Level 0

I'm gonna get that kid!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2008, 02:28:01 PM »

The metroid parody is gold, man Smiley.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »

sweet the osx download works for me and may I say well done sir...

well done indeed.
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2008, 01:34:22 PM »

I wasn't too fond of the controls, the movement on land was a little too slow, the movement in water could have been more fluid (yeah, I know sharks aren't supposed to be on land but why make a game where you have to suffer poor controls more than half of the time?) and you didn't get any indication of how far you were actually going to get until halfway through a jump.

That being said, I loved the game. The multitude of chomp-animations? gold. The animations and panic of the Hitlers? GOLD. The introduction and ending? gold10. Also, the levels were surprisingly varied in gameplay and the challenge was really balanced once you figured out the controls.

Thanks, man =)
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2008, 02:02:32 PM »

You're welcome!

Yeah, I've got a version kicking around with a couple of bug fixes which also has a slightly lower enemy attack speed and hearts which refill your entire life bar instead of just one heart.

I'm probably going to release a more complete version in a few months or so, so I'll try to speed up the movement a bit on land if people are finding that annoying.

What did you find was the problem with movement in water?

Formerly "I Like Cake."
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2008, 02:26:03 PM »

Also, the PC version runs a little slowly for some reason.

I have no idea why and no time to figure it out, but hopefully it does not render the game unplayable for anyone.

It is pretty slow.  Almost unplayable, but not quite.  I have a crappy computer as it is, though, so it's probably double-plus-slow for me.  I really want to play all the way through this though so I'll suffer the slowdown.  I'm also having issues with jumping out of the water that I think has to do with the really bad framerate.

But I love your cartoony sprites and animations.  Very slick.  The tiles could use some work, but you already know that.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »

What did you find was the problem with movement in water?

Well, not so much problem, rather I thought the vertical speed and jumping felt weird. While the horizontal movement felt nice and fluid-y and carried over well when you left the surface, the vertical speed was almost completely lost and the the only way to reach high up was just to stand still at the surface and hit jump. I think it would've felt more natural for me if you simply didn't use jump button underwater but instead built up momentum to do the jumps. On the other hand, this would likely reduce precision and the system you're using was fine once I got used to it so I'm not sure I would change it.

Oh, and for the record, I don't think it was too hard, I rather thought the difficulty ramped up evenly between the levels.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2008, 05:02:47 PM »

I did find the land-movement a little off-putting, I wanted to be swimming all the time!  That said, I think it has great potential, and your level-design skills are great.  The mini-Hitlers have a nice fluidity to them.

I like, I Like Cake!

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2008, 11:12:09 AM »

Well, I like the water movement, so it stays. Enough people seem to be annoyed at the walking, though, so it'll get looked at if I ever get around to doing a more complete version.

I'll also try to find out why it runs so goddamn slowly on PC but just fine on the Mac. I've learned my lesson at least: next time don't do the PC port in half an hour on the last day.

Thanks for the comments!

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2008, 01:55:29 PM »

download link in the entry page is broken

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2008, 02:32:47 PM »

Sorry about that, I Like Cake, it's fixed now. Embarrassed
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2008, 02:49:02 PM »

No problem: mistakes happen. Thanks for the quick response!

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2008, 07:09:28 PM »

For some reason, I found this game a bit lacking. The story and graphics are great, of course, but the gameplay seemed a little off. I'm not sure what exactly the problem was- maybe it was the slow land speed, or tricky jumping, or awkward transitions from water to land.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2008, 05:56:14 PM »

I really enjoyed this. You had me at "apprehension of the last of the Hitler clones" :D

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic