Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 04:08:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAlex Hill: Whispers at White Oak Inn - A mystery, point-and-click adventure
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Alex Hill: Whispers at White Oak Inn - A mystery, point-and-click adventure  (Read 4617 times)
hannahontrek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2023, 05:11:35 AM »

Hey! Thank you!

I actually thought about adding a way to get to the stairs from other angles, I'm glad you said something. For the detective agency would it be helpful to be able to click on the desk from further back?

For moving backwards, I think that's an interesting idea to have a button to go backwards, I'm just not sure I'd be able to implement it since it's a camera system rather than a 3D space the player is navigating. I'll mull it over.

Thank you for taking the time to play the demo and give me feedback! It's very helpful   Grin
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2023, 07:31:53 AM »

You’re welcome! Being able to click on the desk from further back would help, yeah.

Flenn
Level 0

Composer musician

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2023, 10:18:00 AM »

Hello, I like your game Alex Hill Mystery, it has great graphics and an attractive theme, I would like to create the soundtrack, I leave you my previous works:
https://www.instagram.com/flen__campos/?hl=es-la
hannahontrek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2024, 04:50:13 PM »

I've adjusted the UI so that it's easier to turn around in the game.

https://ibb.co/VQbJBqL

I've also finished the script, cast the voice actors for the characters with some awesome talent, and the majority of environments are done! The Indiegogo campaign I ran in the fall helped pay for the voice actors. I might run another later in the year to help with continued development.

I still have a number of levels to finish putting together, I need to make some more puzzles and minigames, and I need to get all the character animated which will be a big undertaking. I plan on using mocap assets to help streamline some of that as long as it looks good.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 09:10:33 AM by hannahontrek » Logged
hannahontrek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2024, 06:58:19 AM »

I'm working on animation next!

I'm currently testing some mocap and live link options with Unreal Engine. I actually went to school for animation and I was training to be a film animator, so my challenge is letting go of the quality I would like to have. In film, you have time to put all the details and work into a few seconds of the animation. In games, especially as a solo developer, I don't have the time to make each animation the quality I was trained to look for. So, I'm looking at using Live Link for the facial animations and then using a few mocaps per character to have gestures while they talk, which is pretty typical in games with a lot of dialogue. I'm going to try to keep the animation count low.
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2024, 08:47:26 AM »

Cool stuff about the animations! I know nothing about animation so it's really informative and I empathize with the struggle to accept "good enough" on an indie/hobbyist budget.

hannahontrek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2024, 08:50:08 AM »

I'm glad it was informative!

Yeah, I think accepting "good enough" is a learned skill  Grin. The animation has been the hardest one so far.
hannahontrek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2024, 09:22:03 AM »

My game is now available to wishlist on Steam!!  Kiss Kiss
hannahontrek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2024, 06:53:09 AM »

I'm working on animations for the game and I'll be working on that for the next month. I ran into some issues with some of my audio, but I'm getting that worked out. It's coming along nicely!

Here's sneak peak of it!

I've also announced the cast for Alex Hill: Whispers at White Oak Inn over on Twitter and Instagram!  I'm so excited about the talented people involved with this project.
SoniaLevelsUp
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2024, 06:54:12 AM »

I've been following your progress for the past few months, ever since you posted on reddit before even starting your indigogo campaign. I seriously respect your dedication to making this game happen! It is so satisfying to see all the progress updates and the game coming together. I would love to see more insights into the process of developing your game! It's like those "behind the brand" or small business vlogs on youtube where people give insights into the behind the scenes of making their products or packing thier prodects etc. Like how did you make the characters? They look so good. How long did it take? What is the hardest part about game dev in your opinion? I know it is still early, but will we be getting a second game?  Cheesy
hannahontrek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2024, 10:02:23 AM »

That's so cool that you've been following along all this time! Thank you  Smiley Smiley

As to your questions:

Like how did you make the characters? They look so good. How long did it take?

I can't take much credit for the characters. I used a character creation tool called Metahumans. It allowed me to decide what the characters looked like, but the models were already made. (Kind of like character creators in The Sims games) If I had made the models myself I probably would have had to add on another year of work and they wouldn't have looked as good.

I might use a different tool next time around. Metahumans are a little hard to optimize in games, but I'm so thankful for tools like this. I wouldn't be able to do what I'm doing without them.

What is the hardest part about game dev in your opinion?

This answer might change depending on what stage I'm working on. Right now fixing bugs has proven to be a challenge, but for me, writing the script was the hardest. I spent two months just on that and it was hard to sit down and write everyday. I have grown in respect for all the writers out there! Writing isn't easy. Thankfully I had another game developer help me edit the script and she was able to help me create a stronger story. She's also writing a few in-game assets as well Smiley

I know it is still early, but will we be getting a second game?

I have ideas for the next two games Wink Since writing the script was so hard for me I want to get a head start on the next one, so I do some brainstorming whenever I get a chance.

Thank you for your questions! I'll try to do more behind the scenes type stuff.
hannahontrek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2024, 11:54:52 AM »

I had a tough couple of weeks fixing bugs. A handful of people playtested the game which was super helpful! But one bug in particular I wasn't able to replicate. The inventory kept disappearing for a player and I couldn't figure it out. So, I restructured my levels and was able to fix it!

There's now an updated Demo that can be played on itch.io and Steam! Woohoo!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 12:05:45 PM by hannahontrek » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic