Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 11:26:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRocks: Like Asteroids
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rocks: Like Asteroids  (Read 1532 times)
Pyry
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2008, 11:34:08 PM »

Screenshot (link to larger version):

Download:
http://www.box.net/shared/p2cd0szwko

I made this over the last few days mainly as an engine test, but it turned out nicely enough. It plays more or less like asteroids, except the asteroids bounce off each other and fragment by actually splitting into smaller pieces rather than just spawning smaller clones.

Requirements:
-OpenGL
-Windows
-Desktop resolution >= 1024 * 768 (it runs in a window that size)

Known issues:
-If you manage to create more than 1024 blocks the game will crash (shouldn't be possible in the course of normal gameplay).
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 12:20:18 AM »

Ohh, my turn!

Pyry, we'd like to remind you that you should introduce yourself to the forum in the Introduce Yourself thread.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.0

Helps you look like someone who wants to be a... noble Tiglet. And eventually Tiger. Do more than plug a game. Not that I'm saying that's all you want to do! But, not everyone's on the level.

As for your game, nice engine test. Entertaining to see the rocks bounce off each other, and deform logically. Wish that I didn't die when I hit the edge of the screen, though. What's the engine for? A larger project, or just kicks?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 12:25:01 AM by Gainsworthy » Logged
Pyry
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 04:45:58 AM »

It would be nice to be able to wrap around the edges, but it's difficult to do with the asteroids because they'll warp into each other (which makes the physics engine very unhappy). However, I could make the walls bouncy for you as well.

It's both for a larger project and kicks? While I have a few ideas in mind, I thought it would be nice to have a general 2d engine with physics. The engine is also structured for networked multiplayer, so this game will be a good test of that once I get around to actually doing the networking part.

All the game logic is in Lua, so you can see (and change) more or less everything by just editing the scripts in Component (Component/Master/logic.lua is the script that launches everything else).
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic