Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411676 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 08:22:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesIndie at E3 didn't seem to work....
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Indie at E3 didn't seem to work....  (Read 5215 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 09:52:51 AM »

i think one director is okay, every game with a team size of more than two needs a director, but a business director and a technical director and a managing director --

c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 10:13:30 AM »

I believe that Drawn to Life art was outsourced to the Philippines. Indie? I dunno...

simoniker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 09:15:17 AM »

One thing that would have really helped was a press release before the event (or just something on Indiecade's website) with a list of the titles being shown.

We would have probably mentioned that on Gamasutra at least (though our parent company also runs the IGF, we do try to give time to Indiecade!) but instead, there was just a generic 'we are showing things at E3' release. And I still can't find the list on their site. They had a print-out of it at the booth...

Anyhow, I wandered by the Indiecade setup during E3 and I thought it worked pretty well - it was fairly relaxed, but the mix of titles was interesting, and the area was set out to be loungier.

Here's the write-ups (at least on Google News) for the booth:

http://news.google.com/news?pz=1&ned=us&hl=en&q=indiecade&cf=all&scoring=n
simoniker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 02:38:58 PM »

Ah, I found the list of Indiecade games, finally, over on MIT/Gambit Game Lab:

http://gambit.mit.edu/updates/2009/06/gambits_phorm_at_e3.php
The Ivy
Level 1

Offices in Miragia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 02:46:31 PM »

I feel like this could have been re-captioned "Kotaku reporter talks to girl."
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 11:57:06 PM »

I think Indiecade stood out as being the quietest place with playable games in the convention center.  It's where I could sit down, relax, talk to some people I knew, try out Snapshot (among other things Gentleman), and regather my senses.

In this regard it was the exact opposite of the Activision area, which is probably the area I most avoided.

moboid
Level 0

I know it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2009, 03:27:08 AM »

Did anyone take pix of all the indiecade booth and games?   My game (Fabulous/Fabuleux) was only shown on video, and none of the official photos on Flickr seem to show the video-only display area.  Or heck, did anyone who was there actually see these game videos?  Even that much confirmation would be nice to have.

Hopefully at future Indiecades we can have the actual game set up.  It uses a custom engineered/fabricated controller and room-based RFID detection, so it's a big deal to get the whole thing installed, and especially difficult (nigh impossible) without a long lead time.

2beegames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 09:38:59 PM »

Indiecade was definitely a more quiet and relaxed area which made it easy to actually play the games and chat with the makers.

I do recall Snapshot and the fluffy controller game getting some mainstream press but thats about it but like some people said, even mid-size companies like Atlus barely get any mentions (even though everyone was walking around with their Trauma Team stickers)

The organizers were actually surprised that they were invited back in a "big E3" year so it could have been worse I guess?

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 09:40:52 PM »

Well, I guess my trepidation was unfounded.  Kotaku mentioned that Snapshot was considered the 'most interesting thing at E3' by several dozen gaming news outlets.

With all the glitz, glamour, and booth babes... this turn-out is actually pretty funny.  Wink

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 09:57:57 PM »

Good shit Kyle.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2009, 10:00:57 PM »

SNAPSHOT REPRESENT

Hopefully it continues to get this much attention when we're close to finished with it ;p

The indiecade booth was awesome though.  It was like home base for many people.  After walking around for hours and being mentally and physically exhausted from the sensory overload that was E3, you could just find a place to relax on the couches and chairs for awhile.  Mmm
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 10:04:26 PM by xerus » Logged
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2009, 09:06:12 AM »

If you have "directors", you are not indie.

i'm the Director of Pixel Synergy...  Lips Sealed

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2009, 10:13:15 AM »

The indiecade booth was awesome though.  It was like home base for many people.  After walking around for hours and being mentally and physically exhausted from the sensory overload that was E3, you could just find a place to relax on the couches and chairs for awhile.  Mmm

Indie Gaming
Just Chill Out

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
headcaseGames
Level 0

Mobile Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2009, 09:24:29 PM »

I was excited and surprised to randomly come across the indiecade area (pardon me, I am still quite new to the whole indie gaming scene!) It was cool and I was happy to see it there, I do not think anyone would consider it's presence a huge triumph in and of itself but just being there (and so close to all the big hubbub) is a pretty big deal. More importantly, it helps firm up a foundation for the future of such things to grow on.  I know I for one will make a beeline to that area next year and spend a lot more time hanging out there, networking and just talking to people and things like that, and I suspect other people would be of a like mind (especially as "the indie scene is becoming more mainstream" in many ways, these days).

As a direct result of even seeing this stuff, I now know to look forward to the Culver City event in October, and to investigating other similar opportunities in the coming months..

Mobile Gaming Developer HeadcaseGames.com
Come see what is the RetroGame of the Day!
twitter.com/headcaseGames
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic