Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411710 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 10:17:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesLooking Back on Muslim Massacre
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27
Print
Author Topic: Looking Back on Muslim Massacre  (Read 67793 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 01, 2009, 08:38:34 PM »

I'm not so sure. Sigvatr has only made 47 posts, as opposed to Super Joe's 768.

Sigvatr's trolling currently amounts to about 41 pages, including this thread and the original feedback thread for Muslim Massacre.

Super Joe has 71 pages in the BAN SUPER JOE thread, there are also a lot more posts in response to him elsewhere on the site but it's hard to say exactly when a post can be said to be made as a result of Super Joe's trolling. However I remember a thread that he started with the phrase 'grab your dick' that went on for several pages. So let's round Super Joe's total up to 80.

Now, 41/47 = 0.87

While 80/768 = 0.10

So in terms of reply-pages per post, Sigvatr wins.

All this is just talking about how successful the troll is on Tigsource. If you take into account all their successes, Sigvatr is indisputably the champion since he has been called out by Muslim clerics, raided by ASIO, is famous on 4chan, has his own ED page and so on. Super Joe on the other hand is pretty much unknown outside of Tigsource.

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #501 on: July 01, 2009, 08:45:32 PM »

Ooh, valid point. I didn't think to check the percentages.

Well, either way I'm rooting for you SuperJoe. I'll be your cheerleader, even if you're the loosing team.

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 02, 2009, 01:07:27 AM »

You are kinda missing the fact that this thread has been derailed so many times; most of those pages don't even refer to the OP and people are too lazy to start a new thread on the topic or use a PM.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 02, 2009, 01:15:05 AM »

The same could be said of BAN SUPER JOE though. Measuring troll efficacy is not an exact science.

Movius
« Reply #504 on: July 02, 2009, 04:01:12 AM »

Don't forget that has Sigvatr has actually made a complete game too
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 02, 2009, 04:11:31 AM »

If anything I think that reduces the quality of his trolling, in the same way that Super Joe having more posts means he has a higher mark to hit. A good troll should cause as much anger and consternation as possible with the least amount of effort on his part.

Imagine if Sigvatr had said he was going to make Muslim Massacre, had posted mockups and artistic statements, but had never actually done any work but still got the same reaction from the public. That would make him an even greater troll.

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: July 02, 2009, 04:12:04 AM »

Is'nt it a bit unfair to call Sigvatr a troll though? He started a thread, explaining the reasoning that went behind creating a controversial game. People responded, according to how they felt about the game, the man and the explanation. The subject went through different sub-themes that still could be linked to an unifying one: Is everything, should everything be acceptable in video games? At the least, Sig's game spawned a discussion where we can realize we all have our own 'unacceptable', whether it be racism, sexism or child abuse.
shig
« Reply #507 on: July 02, 2009, 04:16:38 AM »

super joe is a troll !?
JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: July 02, 2009, 04:24:09 AM »

Is'nt it a bit unfair to call Sigvatr a troll though? He started a thread, explaining the reasoning that went behind creating a controversial game. People responded, according to how they felt about the game, the man and the explanation. The subject went through different sub-themes that still could be linked to an unifying one: Is everything, should everything be acceptable in video games? At the least, Sig's game spawned a discussion where we can realize we all have our own 'unacceptable', whether it be racism, sexism or child abuse.
This is all true.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: July 02, 2009, 04:28:31 AM »

This is all true.

Not exactly -- I don't have an 'unacceptable' when it comes to games. I think some games are stupider than others, yeah, but I don't think there's such a game as a game that shouldn't have been made.

JoeHonkie
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #510 on: July 02, 2009, 04:33:37 AM »

Not exactly -- I don't have an 'unacceptable' when it comes to games. I think some games are stupider than others, yeah, but I don't think there's such a game as a game that shouldn't have been made.

Right, but the discussion was about that topic is what he's saying, primarily.  But I get you.  Yeah, I'm all for doing whatever you want.

I think the main thing that annoys me about Sigvatr is that it was pretty obvious what reaction he would get, even down to the Feds getting involved.  If you are going to do something with that sort of consequences, be prepared for the result.  But hey, maybe he knows that now.  Learning experience, etc, etc.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #511 on: July 02, 2009, 04:39:43 AM »

i don't think he wasn't prepared or didn't know -- everything in his OP seems to point that he did know what reaction he'd get.

also, relevant quotes i found related to the game of recent late:

Muslim Massacre is, according to its creator "fun to play" but "The Muslims represented in the game aren't meant to be based on actual Muslims."

As for an after-the-fact artist's statement, Vaughn is quoted as posting on the SA forums that “If I was to try and come up with a meaning for the game at this moment, it would probably be something along the lines of metaphorically destroying the stereotypical depiction of a Muslim.”

I think it's pretending to be legitimate commentary and I'm sure there will be lots of people who defend it on those grounds, but ultimately it's just a game where you blow the gently caress out of arabs... Anyone is free to believe whatever they won't (sic) though, because I don't even know how to interpret it myself anymore. the bottom line is that I enjoyed making it and it's fun to play...

but i doubt this'll change most people's perception that he's just trolling unfortunately

JoeHonkie
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: July 02, 2009, 04:46:01 AM »

I think he wasn't expecting the degree, despite knowing the reaction.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #513 on: July 02, 2009, 04:50:21 AM »

possible, but i don't find gullibility annoying; he might just be young or inexperienced -- i mean, he posts on something awful, which is like a den of 15-20 year olds

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 02, 2009, 04:52:17 AM »

I think he wasn't expecting the degree, despite knowing the reaction.
Seeing how the reaction was way out of proportion, I'd be surprised if he had anticipated the full result.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
JoeHonkie
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #515 on: July 02, 2009, 05:19:44 AM »

possible, but i don't find gullibility annoying; he might just be young or inexperienced -- i mean, he posts on something awful, which is like a den of 15-20 year olds
and a den of iniquity.

But I do find it annoying, that doesn't mean I will hold it against him for life or anything.  Like I said, hopefully it was a learning experience for him.  And Dacke, the reaction may have been way out of proportion, but that's not surprising these days.  Sadly.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: July 02, 2009, 05:21:51 AM »

Is'nt it a bit unfair to call Sigvatr a troll though?

IRL: troll.
Tigforums: kind of a dick.
Movius
« Reply #517 on: July 02, 2009, 05:30:46 AM »

Personally I think he expected stupid people to get offended and not play the game. Others would play the game, note that it was well made and fun and obviously a joke.

Other events would be harder to predict, eg:
 * ASIO
 * the "idiots per rational-human" rate being higher than expected in places like TIGSource
 * Certain glorious defenders of the independent game developer trying to destroy all reference to the game's existence or otherwise hanging him out to dry.
Kamos
Level 0

Hey.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #518 on: July 02, 2009, 05:59:48 AM »

Why do you try to complicate this, Paul? It's simple.

Yes, the game is fun to play. However, muslims don't like it (and there is no need to wonder why they don't like it). Then he comes to this forum and says "bla, bla, bla, the people who got angry are stupid, I'm just vomiting stuff on the internet, I'm on a quest of purification". Then he makes fun of people who get angry at him saying muslims getting shot and bombed is unimportant.

I mean... "Ok, dude".   WTF

EDIT: Also, the topic was now about the much more important topic of zombies and women in bikinis. And I don't get the Warhol Superstars thing.   Shrug
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 06:04:36 AM by Kamos » Logged
shig
« Reply #519 on: July 02, 2009, 07:03:14 AM »

He didn't troll on his first post.
He trolled - sometimes - when he replied to other people's posts.

Maybe it wasn't even on purpouse; He was just annoyed and ended up being even more annoying. But still I can see why people would call him a troll. He did seem like he was trying to irritate people on purpouse in some of his posts.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic