Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411710 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 09:32:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesRohrer, now in advertising
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: Rohrer, now in advertising  (Read 15429 times)
Gnarf
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2009, 12:47:13 PM »

Corpus' point might have been that the "if it is part of who you are" reasoning is bullshit, and not that talk is exactly the same thing as rape and murder.

Oh god- I'm sorry- I didn't realize you didn't want me to express an opinion here.

Yeah, what is this, a communist dictatorship? Can't a man express his opinion without people disagreeing with him? Have we not freedom of speech?
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2009, 12:56:02 PM »

Yeah i mean there is an art to appearing humble when giving out personal info about yourself in interviews, but personally i think separating the art from the artist is also a very important thing to do.. there are many artist out there that i cant stand personally but i still appreciate their work. to use the awesomely horrible analogy of raping and murdering people again... im sure there are people out there that can really appreciate the art of a murderer, but in doing so you will need to remove the artist from the art.

its not dishonest in the slightest to keep my personal life separate from my art. if my life has relevance to my work (like aether for example, or coil) ill talk about its relevance when someone asks... but what does my personal life have to do with my work? if i want to say something about what i believe in.. ill do it with my work, not state it in an interview.
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2009, 01:13:42 PM »

I read a wired article before that opened with a really thought out and intelligent essay. After you were done reading that part and thinking about how interesting and thought provoking that essay was, the author of the article mentions that it was written by the unabomber. It was a great opening to the rest of the article, but it kinda hits you when you realize who wrote it, and how right and intelligent he sounded.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2009, 01:18:13 PM »

its not dishonest in the slightest to keep my personal life separate from my art. if my life has relevance to my work (like aether for example, or coil) ill talk about its relevance when someone asks... but what does my personal life have to do with my work? if i want to say something about what i believe in.. ill do it with my work, not state it in an interview.

actually knowing more about your personal life adds to your games for me -- you like gross stuff in real life *and* in games! that's more interesting than if you just liked it in games, and adds to my knowledge of why you use certain aesthetics in various games

and i'm not saying it's dishonest to not talk about it, just that it'd be dishonest to try to keep a distance between the two, like trying to not post any personal entries in your blog for example

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2009, 01:29:27 PM »

actually knowing more about your personal life adds to your games for me -- you like gross stuff in real life *and* in games! that's more interesting than if you just liked it in games, and adds to my knowledge of why you use certain aesthetics in various games

and i'm not saying it's dishonest to not talk about it, just that it'd be dishonest to try to keep a distance between the two, like trying to not post any personal entries in your blog for example

Ah but what you don't know is edmund's real life is completely different from the real life he says he lives.

He's actually an environmentalist-vegetarian who cries at the sight of a bug being swatted. He drives a mini-prius on the days he doesn't ride his pony princess bike to work (at an environ-friendly hair salon), and his computer runs on clean hydrogen fuel. He and his wife watch desperate housewives together before going to bed in separate beds. In the morning, he wakes up to a nice cup of green tea.

His e-persona is all a hoax
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2009, 01:35:46 PM »

yeah but you know about those aspects because they pertain to the art in question. you know nothing of my real personal beliefs or stances on major aspects of my life, just of the pieces that have reliance to my art.

what im saying is my personal life could be actually very similar to Jason, but you'd never know because i dont talk about those things.

trust me i use to feel the same way.. i was very open and honest about my personal life and my opinions on everything, and the exact thing that happens to Jason happened to me, that's why i keep my personal stuff to myself.

extreme opinions on lifestyle will only get you into trouble. i try my best not to judge others on how they live their lives..but i know how hard that can be at times when you think youre right, and i also know that when you make a statement on how you live your own life... others that live theirs different will automatically assume your saying their lifestyle is wrong.
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2009, 02:45:53 PM »

knowing who made the games is the best thing about indie games.

Gnarf
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2009, 02:49:59 PM »

Yeah, that's basically my criteria when judging them.
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2009, 03:36:39 PM »

saying its the best thing about indie games is going pretty far Smiley

im sure for certain people, namely You, Jason and myself, our names and who we are has a lot of pull when it comes to how people view our work because we have built up a name for ourselves. but my argument here is that a lot of the time who we are gets in the way of the art speaking for itself..

i personally would love to see a lot of "Our art" (myself included) speaking for itself and less about the opinions of the artist, to me it seems like a more pure way of making art.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2009, 05:26:30 PM »

In your opinion! I actually consider pricing to be the best thing, as you can get the same entertainment in indie games as you can get in the mainstream at a much lower cost.

This doesn't seem like the right thread for rampant generalizations, so let's cool our jets and offer some actual reasoning for our opinions.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2009, 06:35:45 PM »

Actually, I'm usually more interested in supporting the creators rather then thinking of it as a way to cause them to generate more art. I like indie game devs, I've bought, played and worked with based on who I like and dislike.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2009, 08:17:38 PM »

i personally would love to see a lot of "Our art" (myself included) speaking for itself and less about the opinions of the artist, to me it seems like a more pure way of making art.

I think it does, even in your case. TIGS and all that it touches is but a drop in the ocean really. I'm willing to bet 90% of players don't know who was really behind aether or coil (other than glancing at your name in text) and of that 10%, even fewer have knowledge of your personal history.

I mean how many people actually know who painted the Mona Lisa? American Gothic? Who composed Rhapsody in Blue, the united theme song Wink? I'd bet it's an alarmingly low percentage...

My point really being that it's easy to get caught up in a lot of the scandal/politics/bloggyblogs from gaming in general, even Kotaku is kind of niche in the grand scheme, but I don't think it's anything to worry about as far as spoiling things for players. Those that are interested will uncover what they wish, (and to their delight), the rest will go on experiencing the games in a "pure state".

Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2009, 12:26:59 AM »

I think it does, even in your case. TIGS and all that it touches is but a drop in the ocean really. I'm willing to bet 90% of players don't know who was really behind aether or coil (other than glancing at your name in text) and of that 10%, even fewer have knowledge of your personal history.

I mean how many people actually know who painted the Mona Lisa? American Gothic? Who composed Rhapsody in Blue, the united theme song Wink? I'd bet it's an alarmingly low percentage...

My point really being that it's easy to get caught up in a lot of the scandal/politics/bloggyblogs from gaming in general, even Kotaku is kind of niche in the grand scheme, but I don't think it's anything to worry about as far as spoiling things for players. Those that are interested will uncover what they wish, (and to their delight), the rest will go on experiencing the games in a "pure state".

i believe you're 100% right
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2009, 01:52:35 PM »

Too much Pink Floyd as a child

i listen to Pink Floyd and psy rock almost every day Wizard Hand Metal Right

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9