Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411679 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 10:19:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesIndie games with job systems: may I be informed of them?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Indie games with job systems: may I be informed of them?  (Read 2813 times)
John Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2009, 04:45:32 PM »

See, my roommate has been bugging me for some indie games with job systems. I only know of one or two. He wanted me to put the call out, and so I have: Any indie games with job systems involving the growth or change of skills or abilites, I call to thee!

This is for me as well; job systems are my favorite.
Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 05:41:32 PM »

I think most people call them RPGs or at least games with skill trees. The term "Job system" really confused me at first.

http://www.stegersaurus.com - Yet another blog about games
Mega Monster Mania - Procedural, fast paced dungeon running
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 05:50:08 PM »

i'm not sure what 'job system' means either. could you be more specific? i mean, pretty much any long game has some growth or change of skills or abilities. iji for example.

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 06:13:48 PM »

I *think* he's referring specifically to the experience systems from Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy Tactics?

cup full of magic charisma
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 06:20:03 PM »

don't you mean final fantasy v (5)? cause iv didn't have a jobs system in that sense. ff3, ff5, and ffx-2 did

JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 06:24:50 PM »

"Job system" to me invokes memories of Ultima Online or the Elder Scroll series. Though Final Fantasy's system might fit the term "Job" better. FF's has explicitly defined Job classes, while the two games I mentioned you sort of roll your own class by using the abilities you like.

Either way, the previously mentioned iji is the only thing that really springs to mind. Perhaps a roguelike? NetHack and Crawl have classes, and Dwarf Fortress has "jobs".
John Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 08:18:33 PM »

Sorry, guess I wasn't as specific as I should have been.

Nah, Dwarf Fortress isn't what we're looking for. We played that for hours and hours, but now we're waiting for the new release.

I suppose... Hm, let's see...

I think what he's looking for (and what I'm looking forward to, as I'm interested to see what turns up) has a few characteristics. The examples people gave of FFV and Elder Scrolls are pretty accurate.

A number of jobs or classes that can be changed ingame, and the change or acquiring of new skills..
*shrug* that's enough, I think. Even a space shooter would be alright.

Of course, if nothing comes to mind, feel free to let the thread rot and I'll put more effort into my search. Late last night, he was just "You should... make a thread on TIGSource."
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 12:52:14 AM »

Skill/class/job systems are a bitch to develop and balance. That is why you tend to find mundane implementations (warrior/mage/healer etc. that advance linearly and may not switch).

You may want to check genres out where those skillsets are used extensively. Simulations (Dwarf Fortress, I'm waiting for the release too; also, there are some life sims that may use those job sets), roguelikes (lack of graphics gives a LOT of room for depth, DF is a roguelike too), RPGs (but you'll have to wade through the flood of mundane games).

Personally I aspire to develop a heavily in-depth RPG that would make use of an extensive skill system, however that will have to wait until I've acquired more developing experience.

In my opinion, best bet would be life sims a la Princess Maker; think Cute Knight and stuff are like that. Do check them out.

Commercial games - Sims 3, UFO: Aftermath/Aftershock/Afterlight series (the soldier sets are limited by attributes and acquired skills) etc.

The jobs system is much better covered in MMORPGs.

Sorry not to deliver much; I too am interested in such games.
John Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 04:28:55 PM »

Man, I remember playing the Princess maker 2 translation for so long... It was tough for me to get something other than artist or war general, though. I always forgot to visit the Prince ONE time out of the years.
Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 04:45:07 PM »

real life has a cool job system
Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 04:45:30 PM »

the combat could be better though
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 04:46:35 PM »

real life has a cool job system

They really need to patch it in version 2. Businessman's Power and Influence scores are way too high for the low amount of grinding needed at high levels.

the combat could be better though

They should probably remove the lives system and set up home-base respawn points.

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 04:51:22 PM »

Man, I remember playing the Princess maker 2 translation for so long... It was tough for me to get something other than artist or war general, though. I always forgot to visit the Prince ONE time out of the years.

if you liked princess maker, you might like the indie game 'cute knight' -- it's the same type of game

Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 04:52:18 PM »

i made a princess out of dryer lint but nobody took my claim of sovreignty seriously. and thats why i make indie games.
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 05:05:22 PM »

Joe that is the best Origin Story ever.

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
John Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 01:48:21 AM »

Speaking of origin stories, I once saw a lesbian dressed as Quailman.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic