Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 02:08:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSCRAP MECHANIC - Explore, Survive and Build!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: SCRAP MECHANIC - Explore, Survive and Build!  (Read 26678 times)
Kaspo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2015, 05:39:50 AM »

Holy wow guys - it's been a few months since I've checked out the log. The progress! I'm loving the videos. This took a huge jump up in my "must play" list Smiley

Hey thanks Pixel Noise!
Yeah we have been working hard these last months.
We have some really cool stuff in the works that we haven’t talked about yet  Wink

Kaspo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2015, 07:44:56 AM »

Sometimes you just have to build a vehicle with what you have. It might not look that pretty, but it’ll help you travel faster.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2015, 09:08:08 AM »

This looks really great! I love building things. What would my motivation to build things in this game be? Building for the sake of building is fun already, of course (Garry's mod?) but building as a way to solve a problem: that's magical!

Kaspo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2015, 04:50:05 AM »

This looks really great! I love building things. What would my motivation to build things in this game be? Building for the sake of building is fun already, of course (Garry's mod?) but building as a way to solve a problem: that's magical!

Thanks Diegzumillo!
Interesting to hear and we agree. It’s really something special when a game lets you solve problems with creativity. For sure something we want to add. Do you have any cool ideas in mind?

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2015, 04:54:24 AM »

I would like to see that thing in motion Smiley
but for a vehicle like that to make even a little sense, you would have to have some terrain, where the boos would be superior to the wheels. maybe rocky or marshy? but to be honest, there is probably a reason vehicles like this dont exist Smiley
maybe in a world where the wheel has not been invented and everything is moved by magic, but levitation is out of the question.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2015, 08:59:28 AM »

but for a vehicle like that to make even a little sense, you would have to have some terrain, where the boos would be superior to the wheels. maybe rocky or marshy? but to be honest, there is probably a reason vehicles like this dont exist Smiley
maybe in a world where the wheel has not been invented and everything is moved by magic, but levitation is out of the question.

Or, another plausible scenario, if resources are scarce and you only have one wheel to build a vehicle.

Do you have any cool ideas in mind?

I have no idea. I was trying to think of something open world where emerging gameplay would give you problems that could be solved by building vehicles but nothing noteworthy came up.

Kaspo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2015, 02:59:33 AM »

That vehicle is far from perfect. Not a smooth ride at all  Wink
But it’s fun to create the best vehicle you can with limited random parts.
This one was still faster then walking.
I make sure to make some gifs next time we build something.

I have no idea. I was trying to think of something open world where emerging gameplay would give you problems that could be solved by building vehicles but nothing noteworthy came up.

We have some ideas how this can be done in a interesting way. Have to try it out first. We will post our progress!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 03:08:23 AM by Kaspo » Logged

Kaspo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2015, 09:32:24 AM »

Hi guys!
We improved the lighting a lot this week. The world looks warmer with beautiful sunbeams streaming. Looks nice, wouldn't you agree?

ChrisN
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2015, 06:52:29 AM »

hahaha that robot looks great!

lightning looks nice!

Game artist: 3D, VFX, Pixel art
Twitter@:ChrisNordgren
Kaspo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2015, 10:25:15 AM »

Hi guys!
Since you’re playing a smart and creative mechanic with many awesome tools at his or her disposal, we want the player to feel just as ingenious.
Now, whenever you place an object on a bearing, the mechanic automatically pulls out an Impact driver and screws the bearings into place, making sure everything stays nice and solid. In reality, it’s only really there to give you a nice bit of visual feedback corresponding to your action, but hey - it all adds to the fun factor of building things.

Kaspo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2015, 08:13:00 AM »

Here are a few new screens showing the updated Creative Mode terrain.
Starting to look good!

Also, a crazy vehicle with a engine powered spinning tongue Tongue

Domenje
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2015, 06:27:46 AM »

I think it would be good if there would be logical devices in the game:
 'and', 'or', inverter, timer, toggle, RNG. <- this much is probably enough to make almost anything
They should be connectable to input devices: levers, buttons, sensors; to themselves and to output devices
It would be possible to create very advanced machines and mechanisms.
  For example:
  -machines with advanced controls, for example transforming machines, walking machines
  -a lock on a vechicle or a door(you need to input some combination to unlock) 
  -safeguards
  -automatic machines, for example traps(imagine building something like spider mine from starcraft), guided missiles, drones

I think it would add much to possibilites of game

I like the idea of this game very much, i am anxious to build cool machines with gyroscopes and melee weapons, and other stuff
Kaspo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2015, 07:19:45 AM »

I think it would be good if there would be logical devices in the game:
 'and', 'or', inverter, timer, toggle, RNG. <- this much is probably enough to make almost anything
They should be connectable to input devices: levers, buttons, sensors; to themselves and to output devices
It would be possible to create very advanced machines and mechanisms.
  For example:
  -machines with advanced controls, for example transforming machines, walking machines
  -a lock on a vechicle or a door(you need to input some combination to unlock) 
  -safeguards
  -automatic machines, for example traps(imagine building something like spider mine from starcraft), guided missiles, drones

I think it would add much to possibilites of game

I like the idea of this game very much, i am anxious to build cool machines with gyroscopes and melee weapons, and other stuff

Awesome suggestion Domenje!
Good to see this being requested.
We have actually been busy working with similar stuff.
I think you will like our next introduction video  Wink

Domenje
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2015, 06:58:39 AM »

Nice.
Another question that has been bothering me would be about how the destruction will work in the game.
If I would make the game, my thoughts would probably be, that machine parts should be damaged from collision, and either detach from machine or be destroyed completely,
or stop functioning, when damage exceeds limits, and probably heal back to full health slowly otherwize.
I think it would be interesting if players would have to make their own cannons for their machines from separate parts, maybe even the same parts, that the machine is built from, and then use explosive or kinetic power to shoot. But wouldnt that be too resource consuming(computer-wize)?
I also thought about explosives.
I find it uninteresting in PvP if someone just walks up to someones base or machine,
puts down explosive from his big inventory and then explodes it. Would probably be more interesting if he walked up to base in a big destructive machine, or used long range weapons.
So, for that to be, there either should not be explosives, they should have weak immediate destructive power, or their usage should be restricted.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 07:06:10 AM by Domenje » Logged
Kaspo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2015, 06:51:04 AM »

Nice.
Another question that has been bothering me would be about how the destruction will work in the game.
If I would make the game, my thoughts would probably be, that machine parts should be damaged from collision, and either detach from machine or be destroyed completely,
or stop functioning, when damage exceeds limits, and probably heal back to full health slowly otherwize.
I think it would be interesting if players would have to make their own cannons for their machines from separate parts, maybe even the same parts, that the machine is built from, and then use explosive or kinetic power to shoot. But wouldnt that be too resource consuming(computer-wize)?
I also thought about explosives.
I find it uninteresting in PvP if someone just walks up to someones base or machine,
puts down explosive from his big inventory and then explodes it. Would probably be more interesting if he walked up to base in a big destructive machine, or used long range weapons.
So, for that to be, there either should not be explosives, they should have weak immediate destructive power, or their usage should be restricted.

Yes! we want creativity to award the player and thats what we aim to achieve. We haven't started working on destruction yet. We have some cool ideas how to make it interesting. There are however a lot of limitations with physics and multiplayer so we have to find a good balance.

By the way, what you suggested before about building automatic machines.
Here is a player made factory loop made in the game.

Domenje
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2015, 10:13:48 AM »

Very nice. It really seems that possibilities will be endless.
You are doing a really good job with this game.
I mean the concept and implementation both seem very good to me.

In one obscure multiplayer 2d space game, I was constructing space ships that swing melee weapons,
and then fought other people, who flew melee ships too. But the implementation was not good(very laggy)
and possibilities were really limited.
I would really like to do same sort of thing, but with better implementation, and in 3d.
And looks like that this will be possible in your game, and much more!
Kaspo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2015, 10:21:35 AM »

Wow, a lot of stuff going on now. We are behind on posts.
New devblog is up!
Check it out:
http://www.scrapmechanic.com/news/devblog-5-is-here/

Kaspo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2015, 10:22:36 AM »

We added silos to the terrain!

Kaspo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2015, 10:23:21 AM »

We are super happy to announce that Scrap Mechanic will be released on Steam Early Access on January 20, 2016!

Kaspo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2015, 09:58:32 AM »

Hi Guys!
It’s finally time to introduce the Controller, which could well be our most entertaining video so far. This gadget is fantastic; one of our favorites, as it lets you build things that transform in a set sequence. Best of all, it’s nice and easy to use. Check out our latest introduction video!

Here is a walker made with the controller

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic