Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 10:36:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingA Hat in Time
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: A Hat in Time  (Read 4767 times)
MekuCube
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2012, 01:37:41 AM »

Hi!

I'm currently developing a collect-a-thon adventure game in the style of older games of the same genre (Banjo-Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Donkey Kong 64). The goal of the game is to explore 5 different huge levels and collect all time-possessed items (only to then destroy them because they're evil!)

The protagonist 'Hat Kid' posses all the standard platforming moves (double jump, wall jump), and in addition has an umbrella she uses as a weapon.

(by Luigi Lucarelli)

Since we're only a few people working on this, we decided on a very simple cell-shaded style. It helps us as we don't have to worry too much about texture and model detail.

We're currently trying to get on Steam through Steam Greenlight (our entry here).

For the first of our 5 levels, we have been looking at Santorini (Greece), which has a very aesthetic white/blue color scheme.

I'm very open to feedback. I have a

where I upload almost any progress I make, and encourage people to give ideas that might help me improve what I have.
I'll gladly respond to any questions, concerns or new ideas!
Daruman
Level 0

私は犬が大好きだよなぁぁ~

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 03:21:55 AM »

it looks beautiful.

Kilig: noun. It is the sudden feeling of an inexplicable joy one gets when something romantic or idealistic occurs. I don\'t think there\'s an English word or phrase for it. even Butterfly Stomach doesn\'t do justice to \"kilig\".
SoulSharer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 04:37:55 AM »

The game sure looks awesome

Twitter: twitter.com/SoulSharer
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 09:07:43 AM »

Tell Luigi Lucarelli his art is great, and your game reeks of cute and has potential.

I demand this game sees through to completion!  Mock Anger

Yeah.
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 11:06:18 AM »

Looking great, delightful graphics and writing.

I have to say the UI looks a bit unfinished, but I think you know.

In fact, why have any UI at all? Show information only when it really matters. The player will learn which keys he can press in the first few minutes of the game, you don't need to keep reminding him forever.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 11:25:18 AM by AD1337 » Logged

MekuCube
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 11:38:49 AM »

In fact, why have any UI at all? Show information only when it really matters. The player will learn which keys he can press in the first few minutes of the game, you don't need to keep reminding him forever.

I totally agree! The button UI is actually obsolete now, but we used to have a feature where the player could bind each button to a certain item or attack :D
tnr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 01:40:06 PM »

This looks gorgeous, and I would definitely purchase it. It falls directly within the sort of games that made me fall in love with gaming as a kid.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 10:10:52 PM »

This looks pretty good, but on the last screenshot, the character looks a little... flat. Just an opinion.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
MekuCube
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 05:36:20 AM »

This looks pretty good, but on the last screenshot, the character looks a little... flat. Just an opinion.

Agreed! That's why we've been working on a new model Smiley

Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 01:15:24 AM »

That's awesome looking! Do you guys have controller support, and any automatic stuff for the camera? Like, camera-ai?
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 01:33:43 AM »

I'm really wondering why a little girl would need a huge zipper on her dress.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Daruman
Level 0

私は犬が大好きだよなぁぁ~

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 02:50:02 AM »

when has a game characters outfit ever been practical?

Kilig: noun. It is the sudden feeling of an inexplicable joy one gets when something romantic or idealistic occurs. I don\'t think there\'s an English word or phrase for it. even Butterfly Stomach doesn\'t do justice to \"kilig\".
MekuCube
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »

That's awesome looking! Do you guys have controller support, and any automatic stuff for the camera? Like, camera-ai?
I have a Logitech F710 myself, so I've been very eager to provide controller support. There's some slight camera-AI going on when you're on a controller, where it tries to stay behind you while you move. Other than that, both controller and keyboard support free cam Smiley
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 10:04:01 PM »

I love this idea, very cute, finish it or i will sad

Ashkin
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 12:31:57 AM »

Ack, so gorgeous! Kiss
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 05:12:17 AM »

You guys were on RPS: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/16/wind-waking-memories-a-hat-in-time/

MekuCube
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 03:20:55 PM »

I really appreciate Rock Paper Shotgun's interest in the game, it has definitely helped us on Steam Greenlight in ways we couldn't have done it ourselves!

We have just finished our new model for the protagonist. There are still some minor adjustments that need to be done, but we're very satisfied with the result! I took this screenshot earlier today :D

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 01:24:31 AM »

I love 3D platformers and seeing some indie ones is something I've wanted for a while, keep up the good work Smiley

Gazu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 08:35:26 PM »

it's gorgeous and even more on video!
MekuCube
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 10:44:25 AM »

Thank you so much everyone, it really means a lot! Here's some more screenshots from recent progress :D

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic