Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 12:37:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallTeam Project Proposal: Story-Based Space Opera Arcade Shooter [Mobile, Tablet]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Team Project Proposal: Story-Based Space Opera Arcade Shooter [Mobile, Tablet]  (Read 538 times)
Alex Kane
Level 0

Writer. Gamer. Geek.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 23, 2014, 03:41:05 PM »

Hey everyone,

I'm new to TIGSource and indie-game development in general, but have professional experience in writing and publishing fiction, nonfiction, and various gaming materials. Recent projects have included tie-in stories for a real-time strategy MMO called Dark Expanse, fiction in Spark: A Creative Anthology, Vol. IV and Futuredaze: An Anthology of YA Science Fiction, and blogging weekly about sci-fi in film for Amazing Stories, the world's first and oldest science fiction magazine.

What I have in mind for my next experiment in multimedia storytelling is this: I would like to combine the experience of mobile gaming—in this new golden age of simple, arcade-style mechanics and quirky sprite design—with that of a weekly (or monthly) tie-in web comic.

For instance, I’ve wanted for some time to write a space opera novel with a specific combination of elements, such as genetically-engineered biomechanical drones (gah!—space monsters!), classic spaceflight-capable mecha (i.e., the Veritech fighter piloted by Rick Hunter in Robotech: The Macross Saga), and alien overlords who have seized control of humanity’s exocolonies through police action and sheer technological superiority. At Clarion West 2013 this past summer, studying the craft of writing under writers like Neil Gaiman, Joe Hill, and Samuel R. Delany, I wrote a short story that could easily serve as the first chapter for such a work.

But I also believe these elements could make for the perfect story-based space opera game for all major platforms—iOS, Android, OS X, Windows, et cetera—given the right mix of passionate creators and a bit of rewarding work. A team of 3-5 artists, writers, and programmers could very well craft the next great indie iPhone game; and I think a scrolling arcade shooter with appropriately retro, “vintage modern” artwork, space-age sound effects and fun music, along with flat-out quality storytelling elements and that elusive, idiosyncratic something that makes good games tick might be just the thing mobile gaming needs.

If anybody wants to chat about the possibilities of putting together a small team of like-minded indie creators together, or get right to brainstorming a game of this sort, shoot me an e-mail at [email protected], or visit my website at alexkanefiction.com to get an idea of what I’m all about. I’m also on Twitter as @alexjkane for easy introductions.

At this stage, I envision a game preceding the potential web comic tie-in, although any artist who shares a love of the following might make the perfect creative partner for getting a concept nailed down. The same goes for experienced programmers passionate about space opera and arcade shooters:

- Star Fox
- Titanfall
- Halo
- H. R. Giger—Alien, Aliens, Prometheus, Dune
- Robotech ("The Macross Saga”)
- Guardians of the Galaxy (Marvel, Brian Michael Bendis)
- Star Wars (The Empire Strikes Back!)
- Gundam Wing
- Metal Warriors
- Scott Pilgrim (Bryan Lee O’Malley)
- The Wake (Scott Snyder)
- The Massive (Brian Wood)
- Oblivion (film)
- Leviathan Wakes, Caliban’s War, Abbaddon’s Gate (James S. A. Corey)
- Old Man’s War (John Scalzi)
- Ready Player One (Ernest Cline)
- Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)
- The Forever War (Joe Haldeman)
- Crystal Rain, Ragamuffin, Sly Mongoose (Tobias S. Buckell)
- BurgerTime
- Donkey Kong
- Galaga
- Galaxian
- Space Invaders
- Defender
- Angry Birds
- Pac-Man
- Machinarium
- Cybernoid: The Fighting Machine
- Clash at Demonhead
- Battlezone
- Abrams BattleTank
- Joust
- the music of Daft Punk, Broken Bells, Linkin Park, Death Cab for Cutie, Journey, U2, Joy Division…
- and all those amazing, classic scrolling arcade shooters!

Working titles in my notes include Passagen and Baphomet Squadron. I’ll avoid discussing specific characters, planet names, worldbuilding, and the like here, but feel free to fire any questions you have my way. And I’m open to any friendly advice you might have for a self-declared noob.

Ideally, I'd like to fill the following roles with the goal of producing a game at a hobbyist's pace and publishing (free, with ad revenue) to the App Store, iTunes, Google Play, etc., in the forseeable future: Lead Programmer, Environment Designer, Artist, Music and Sound Designer [FILLED!], with my own role being Creative Lead and Writer.

Thanks for your time and attention, and I look forward to my time here at TIGSource. Wish I’d found this place sooner.

Best,

Alex Kane

(Xbox Live gamertag "Holy Warmaster," for you Titan pilots out there.)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:06:59 PM by Alex Kane » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic