Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411607 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 11:36:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting2D online turn-based strategy/tactical rpg
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 2D online turn-based strategy/tactical rpg  (Read 8565 times)
nixrlame
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2007, 01:47:48 PM »

Hello everyone!

Our game is called Realms of Rivalry and can be summarized as an online graphical turn-based strategy/rpg game where you can play short tactical skirmishes with 2-4 players in small random-generated game worlds.
The game is free and can be played either as an applet or downloadable client (Java Webstart).

The time-limited turns (30-90 secs) give the game a semi-realtime feel, and the game has sometimes been characterized as "chess on steroids".

Screenshots:
http://www.realmsofrivalry.org/screenshot.php?realmsofrivalry15.jpg
http://www.realmsofrivalry.org/screenshot.php?realmsofrivalry12.jpg
http://www.realmsofrivalry.org/screenshot.php?realmsofrivalry9.jpg

http://www.realmsofrivalry.org

Comments and feedback are most appreciated  Smiley

--
nixrlame

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 07:56:37 PM »

Hello there!

I logged on to your site today and I've played for a little while. I see there's alot of members already playing your game. it,s great to see you have so much response to it.

I don't have much time but here are few things that popped in my head while playing the game...

First of all, I feel like the game might eed some clarification in the GUI department. You have alot of information to show and I feel like the overall interface is kinda cramped. Also, some information are given to us twice without properly displaying their names which confuses the player that their other information.

Let me explain. Ok, so your characters have different health points (HP) and Action points (AP). Well, in the gui, you show us nice little icons of the selected character with two numbers seperated with a slash. the first one is the AP, the second is the Hp. Now, if we look further down the screen we find that your telling us that your current HP is "so much" and I have "that much" AP left. If you already told us the info? Why repeat it? 

The icon with the AP/HP under it is a good idea. You have the selected character and its vital stats easily spotted. Problem is, I feel like the icons are not very accessible. I belive that bigger icons aligned horizontaly under the menu bar would help. Or perhaps align horizontaly on top of the stats section. Here'sa crude representation...

Example A:
 -------------------
|        Menu       |
|--------------------
|  icons            |
|--------------------
|game area        |
|                    |
|                    |
|--------------------
|stats              |
|-------------------

example B
 -------------------
|        Menu       |
|--------------------
|                   |
|game area        |
|                  |
--------------------
|  icons            |
|--------------------
|stats              |
|-------------------

(I hope you get the point, I'm not sure if the "drawings" are actualy helping Tongue)

Basicaly, it would leave more space for the actual game area and more accessible information. I would also make outline of the elected icon bigger.

A thing that bothered me was the fact that I could not scroll the map. Sure I could go from one character to another but always felt like I couldn't see the whole picture. I felt kinda trapped: I couldn't see what I wanted to see when I wanted to.

Speaking of camera, I also felt like it was moving too oftenly. At some point, theres was four enemies going for my avatars and the camera kept on switching back and forth. Kind of annoying. I think that the camera should tell me if something outside my current viewing of the game area happens but I don't need it to point it out when it,s happenning where I'm looking.

You also have to make everything clear without the sound effects. I didn't always know when it was my turn or it wasn't very clear when I turned off the sound effects. Maybe flahsing a message or disabling my avatars icons when it's the realm's turn would help alot.   

Controlling is a bit hard at first. It's hard to tell how much range of movement I had with my characters and what enemies I could or couldn't reach. Also, my first reaction when I saw the rotate buttons was to think that they we're cancel buttons. Y'know, Cancel and Redo. I feel like we're controlling everything with the mouse and these actions should be included. Right clicking a door could open it. Here's a thought: maybe you could add  a little arrow icon on the characters when selected it. Clicking and moving the arrow could rotate the character. I think it would be more accessible and more natural. 

One thing: is it normal that we can walk on water? If you can, I would like to see the charcter at least knee deep in water. If not, it's a bug that happenned to me several times Wink

Picking up objects was not very intuitive at first but I got the hang of it rather quickly. Maybe making the icons for picking up object bigger and more representative would help. Doing so wold also make using object easier. Also, how can I pass one object to another one? Is it drag and drop style?

I feel like the only 3 characters are a bit restricting. Maybe being able to customize their abilities or adding 2 more characters would help. I believe it would help to make more strategies possible. 

Anyway, the game is interesting. I like the fact that it's turn-based but limited at the same time. I also like the fact that there are alot of possiblities, like being interupted or making more damage when attacking from behind.

I also like that you can play alone or against someone else online. It's nice to be able to play against someone but it's also fun to be lonely once in a while Wink :D

It's nice to see that the rooms are random. No game is ver the same. Are their plans to create an editor or having some recurant game area? Like for some tournaments or anything like that?

The game seems to ahve alot of material. I feel like I haven't seen much of the agme as we speak so I can't really talk about it in-depth. One thing is for sure, the game is heading somewhere good Wink.

Keep it up!
Guert

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic