Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411609 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 11:32:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingoral narcotic-May 03, 2007
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: oral narcotic-May 03, 2007  (Read 4013 times)
portabello
Level 0

charlie don't surf!

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2007, 02:19:23 PM »

New stuff as of May 03, 2007:
http://rapidshare.com/files/29342169/oral_narcotic_powerup.zip.html

in response to Guert's suggestions.

Snake mode is faster and can now be used to attack the enemy.  Letting go of the x keys sends the segments upwards.  Pressing x again will detonate them.  They are on a timer and will detonate automatically if x is not pressed.  Also, the snake can withstand 1 bullet collision before being destroyed.

Shooting down a flashing enemy chunk will increase your rate of fire, up to three times.

Running into a flashing enemy chunk with the ship will increase the delay before the tail segments explode.  This has the effect of increasing the tail length and attack range.

Enemies are created in a new way, but all the cells have the same attack (for now).

And, there is some additive synthesis going on.

Right now, it is all really easy.

There are limited lives, but shooting the core gives a 1up.

And probably some other things I forgot about.

I'm learning all this game design stuff as I go so please give me some feedback.  Seriously, you would be like a hero to me.

Older Stuff:

This is the first game I have ever worked on so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

http://rapidshare.com/files/28972728/oral_narcotic_prototype.zip.html

Oral narcotic is sort of like a combination of the Korea bit in Clean Asia, Lumines (or so I have been told), and snake (or any other lightcycle sort of thing).

controls:
arrow keys - move
z - shoot
x - change to snake

Story:
You are this thing that was inside this pill that this one guy ate.  Now you have to shoot things in his stomach for some reason.  Its not really that important.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 03:10:13 PM by portabello » Logged
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 08:21:13 AM »

Hello there!

Here's what I think of the game, bad aspects first...

First of all, our avatar is not easy to spot on the game field. It looks like a buttlet from the enemy. The first thing we should spot is where we are and what we control. I suggest that you either make the avatar bigger or in a very different color, like black, since all enemies are white. I'd start off by spawning the vaatr, then after 2 or 3 seconds, the enmy could appear. This way, we know who we are and where we are.

Second, I feel like there's too much things happening all at once. Theres hundreds of bullets every where shooting randomly. I suggest that you use fewer, targeted bullets. Instead of shooting everywhere, shoot at the player and at a location nearby it. This way, you force the player to move and to be precise on when to stop (since a bullet is heading to a possible evasion location).

Destroying bullets could be interesting. Since you are shooting at the enemies, the bullets may be used as a secondary shield for the enemy. Bullets could only substain 3 or 4 of the player's shot so moving would still be the best strategy. 

Dying and stopping the "snake mode" has the same animation, which leads to confusion. I thought numerous times that I was dead but wasn't.

Now, I want to talk about my motivation as a player. What's my goal in all of this? Is there an upside to consuming the enemy in snake mode? Whatever the story you might have cookep up for the game, the player's motivation should be clear while playing it. You have to gives us some feedback, rewards of penalty, for everyting that we do. Doesn't have to be points or 1ups, just something that will motivate us to use a strategy or to play in a general way. Eating an enemy part could make us bigger. Shooting it might makes us fster or deal more damage. You may even want to give us something extra for dodging bullets. The key is to make sure that you know what is the heart of your game. Is it to shoot, to collect or to move/dodge? Is it to go fast or to be precise? Try to give about 3 ways of playing the same goal. If you decide to make it about being fast, put a time limit (either by adding a timer, add the guy's that ate the pill health status that's always decreasing, or a fixed life span) then give us 3 choice to alter this time, may it be by making us go faster, give time extensions or giving us more fire power. There's alot more options that could be created here so don't be scared to use your imagination. In all cases, that will motivate the player and will give the game more possibilities hence more experimental value.

On the good side, I like the very simple presentation, Very sobre but interesting. The bright red, color of blood, topped by white elements, purety, gives it a red cross feel that fits the health care idea you're going for.

I like how you have the snake mode on. Although very hard to use, mainly because of all the bullets shooting everywhere, it's nice that you need it to pick up possible "powerups", not just wait for it to come to you.

The controls are also very simple and easy to understand. Shooting is easy and doesn't require button smashing. I hate when I have to press the same button 10 000 in 2 minutes. it's bad for my thumb, for my joystick/keyboard and get's reppetitive very fast. With your control, I can easily focus on what I'm doing rather than smashing the same button over and over

I like how the enemy gradually comes in. This way you can start to damage the top rows. I also enjoy the fact that you can go everywhere on the map. This means that If I want to, I can circle around the enemy. It,s not a great posisbility since you can't shoot downward but it's there and that's what's important. Don't change it: shooting downward or the ability to rotate the avatar would ruin this completly.

The game feels very arcade-ish. Do you plan to have different enemies, with different behaviours, numerous levels, etc?

Well, good game, keep workin on it!
Take care!
Guert

portabello
Level 0

charlie don't surf!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 11:09:37 AM »

Thank you very much for taking the time to play my game.  This is the first feedback I have gotten from someone who isn't a friend or totally high or both.  This is pretty exciting.

First of all, our avatar is not easy to spot on the game field. It looks like a buttlet from the enemy. The first thing we should spot is where we are and what we control. I suggest that you either make the avatar bigger or in a very different color, like black, since all enemies are white. I'd start off by spawning the vaatr, then after 2 or 3 seconds, the enmy could appear. This way, we know who we are and where we are.
Good point.  I plan on making the bullets look less like the avatar, so hopefully this will resolve the problem.

Second, I feel like there's too much things happening all at once. Theres hundreds of bullets every where shooting randomly. I suggest that you use fewer, targeted bullets. Instead of shooting everywhere, shoot at the player and at a location nearby it. This way, you force the player to move and to be precise on when to stop (since a bullet is heading to a possible evasion location).
Most of the shots are targeted at the player.  They won't target the snake though.  But, I agree that my bullet patterns are pretty lame.  I have been teaching myself the GML language (I made this in gamemaker btw) as I go, and hopefully as I become more proficent in it, I will be able to program better attacks.  Also, I plan on making the difficulty ramp up as you go, so there will definitely not be this many bullets right from the start.  Also, did you play this with the sound on?  All the enemy attacks are synced up to music so you can hear them coming as well as see them coming.

Dying and stopping the "snake mode" has the same animation, which leads to confusion. I thought numerous times that I was dead but wasn't.
This will be changed in the future.

Now, I want to talk about my motivation as a player. What's my goal in all of this? Is there an upside to consuming the enemy in snake mode? Whatever the story you might have cookep up for the game, the player's motivation should be clear while playing it. You have to gives us some feedback, rewards of penalty, for everyting that we do. Doesn't have to be points or 1ups, just something that will motivate us to use a strategy or to play in a general way. Eating an enemy part could make us bigger. Shooting it might makes us fster or deal more damage. You may even want to give us something extra for dodging bullets. The key is to make sure that you know what is the heart of your game. Is it to shoot, to collect or to move/dodge? Is it to go fast or to be precise? Try to give about 3 ways of playing the same goal. If you decide to make it about being fast, put a time limit (either by adding a timer, add the guy's that ate the pill health status that's always decreasing, or a fixed life span) then give us 3 choice to alter this time, may it be by making us go faster, give time extensions or giving us more fire power. There's alot more options that could be created here so don't be scared to use your imagination. In all cases, that will motivate the player and will give the game more possibilities hence more experimental value.
Well, the main motivation for destroying the bits you blow off the enemy is survival.  They are little kamikaze guys that are trying to crash into and destroy you.  They move just slightly slower than you when you are not in snake mode, making it difficult to shoot down more than a few at the time.  Thats the main reason for using snake mode.

Its a bit of a trade off.  In normal mode you can move in 8 directions and shoot.  In snake mode you can only move in 4 directions, but you are a bit faster, the enemy can't aim at you (this might change in the future), you can block some bullets with your tail (this will improved in the future), and you can destroy the blinky kamikaze guys much  more easily.  The basic idea is that normal mode is for attacking and snake mode is for defense/running away.  But, I do like that power up idea.
The game feels very arcade-ish. Do you plan to have different enemies, with different behaviours, numerous levels, etc?
It is going to be a bunch of sequential boss battles, with each boss having a different shape, generating a different bit of music, and using different attack patterns and rhythms.  It will probably be done super mario style so that after you beat it you can go back and play a harder version (probably just more enemy health).

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 12:35:23 PM »

Hey there!

I'm happy that your opened to criticism! It,s always hard to tell how someone is going to react, specially when it's their first game.

The bullet pattern may not be so bad, but felt very random when I played. Perhaps it's because there were too much to digest at first.

Yeah, it's something I forgot to tell you. I loved how you use the music element. You kinda have to follow the beat or at least pay attention. The music is also very fitting. Nice job on that!

Well, as long as you keep your goal nice and clear, it's gonna work. I'm reading what I wrote earlier and perhaps I should've said "my motivation to stay alive". The survivalism is quite obvious so that's okay, it's more of the mid and long term goal that you need to clarify.

Post a new version when it's done!
Later!
Guert

Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 09:40:52 PM »

wow this thing is brutal and hurts my eyes a whole lot, but i cant stop playing it! help me!  :D

But really, I love this idea and hope you keep going with it, my only advice is maybe to make sure the background colour isn't as loud as it is right now, when i turned the game off everything looked green and blue to me.  Maybe if you can do something like a phazy-looking visualizer using colours that are totally different than the bullets/patches/ship.

Keep up the work! :-D
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic