Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411609 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 11:32:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingA question for those who need feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A question for those who need feedback  (Read 3915 times)
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: May 25, 2007, 08:50:42 PM »

Hello everyone!
Ok, so I've written a couple of reviews and I'm wondering if the approach I'm taking is satisfying or not. Are there elements you'd like to see more elaborated? Some points that were too elaborated for your taste? Is there something you want to know about your game that I'm not talking about?

I want to help my fellow developpers has much as possible and I always review a game like I review my own. Yet, you are not me and you do not see things the same way I do. If you tell me how to rectify my aim, I'll be able to be more helpful!

Thanks alot!
Guert 

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 02:15:59 AM »

I'll just go from my experience,

I thought your feedback was great. I found it strange that you didn't mention anything about whether you liked the sound or music or graphics or story and focused 100% on gameplay, but that's still useful. Really, you do this so well that you should charge for it, haha.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 04:46:15 AM »

Strange indeed! Wink I didn't want to use the too popular formula of "graphics and sound" improssion. I didn't wnat to say if the graphics were nice or not, just to say if they fit the experience.

Do you think I should speak more about these elements?

I wanted this to be closer to a critic then a review. I wanted to tell people what was right or wrong technicaly and emotionaly speaking.

You see, I love cinema. I watch all kinds of movie but I specialy enjoy repertoire movies (not sure if that's how their named in english). I love to watch them and analyze how they we're created. If you want to make me happy, play "Citizen Kane" or a Chaplin movie or a Kubrik picture and then let's talk about it.

Sure you can say that the special effects of a movie were awesome but that does not explain why I felt sympathy or pain, love, friendship and millions of other emotions for the characters when something happens in the movie. I wanted to have the same approach with games. My goal is to slowly change the way people look at a game and ask for more immersion, motivation and experience rather than graphics, sounds and a generic number rating.

That's why I need your help to tell me what I've missed and what I'm doing wrong and right. 

And even if you didn't get a review you can post too. I suppose this question also goes for those who read one of the critic I wrote.

Thanks again for your time!
Guert

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 06:17:58 AM »

Wow, you're a man on a fucking mission.

I salute you sir!  Cool

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 10:13:40 AM »

No, I think your way of reviewing is fine, and it's understandable to talk about how the game fit together, as the whole is supposed to be greater than the sum of the parts. It's just that I felt your "whole" was skewed toward the gameplay (most of your topics -- economics, ergonomics, etc., refer to gameplay aspects), and that there are other reasons to play a game besides gameplay. Even most movie reviewers usually mention the soundtrack or the cinematography or plot somewhere in the review. But as gameplay feedback, it was very great.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 03:21:33 PM »

True. I will talk about art and music in a more elaborated fashion. Thanks for the comment!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic