Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 09:26:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Cat Machine - Now on Steam!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: The Cat Machine - Now on Steam!  (Read 7388 times)
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2015, 12:43:03 AM »

Good luck on Steam! I will get it soon.

I feel for you regarding the scams, "back in the day" we were overjoyed to see people with 200-500K subs contacting us, but it soon dawned on us that it was fake. Doesn't seem that one can stay naive in this business for long. Smiley

How do you tell apart the 'real' youtuber from the scammer?

For me the easiest way is to check the email they post publicly on their own website or channel, if it coincides with the one you have in front of you in your email it's probably bonafide. They usually write something eerily similar like "[email protected]" instead of "[email protected]". After a few scams you sort of get the flow of it too, that if it's too good to be true (If PewDiePie contacts you for example), it probably is. Big YouTubers have enough requests as it is (and money to buy games), they don't need to hunt games actively.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2015, 04:50:44 AM »

Awesome to see that you're doing well out of the gate! Congrats on the release, looks like the early reviews are all positive. Thats great! Need to snag a copy...

Generally, the easiest way to spot a scam is they almost always ask for multiple copies (cause greedy bastards). One approach to avoid scammers is if you put together a solid list of YouTubers that you think are interested (genre/style etc) and mail out a few hundred copies to your list and disregard the people who contact you. Most of the time, the ones you really want to play the game likely wont reach out to you directly anyways...

...But in the end, its really not so bad if a few people sneak a steam key off you. Certainly isnt the end of the world and they likely werent buyers anyway so no real loss of a potential sale...

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2015, 09:06:36 AM »

Yus, I agree with oldblood, it's not a big deal if you get scammed. You don't need to send anything to the obvious [email protected] type accounts, but those ones where you're 50/50 about whether they are genuine, it's not a big loss to try it.

There's been a couple of emails where I've just asked whether they can verify their account, and they've been quite happy to.

vividhelix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2015, 08:34:43 PM »

Just a thought - maybe put the steam/humble links in your sig? I landed on the last page looking for the steam link and couldn't see it. I guess I could've just fired up steam and searched for the game too...

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2015, 04:36:54 AM »

Saw the coverage on RockPaperShotgun this AM, congrats! Looks like users are loving it and the overall response is great. Hard to go wrong with cats in the internet age!

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2015, 10:20:29 AM »

Thanks! Critical response has been good, yeah, very happy with that. Lots of people saying "argh my brain hurts from logic" and other players emailing me for clues and hints, which is the most satisfying. Building a puzzle game that is actually properly puzzling, in a new way, has been a great experience.

I'm still working on the game though! Even once you're released, you're not really quite done. I know I've put the `Done` tag on the thread, but truthfully, I'm now in the 110% stage.

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2015, 06:16:22 PM »

Picked up your game sir/madam.

At first, I breezed through things but was pleasantly surprised when I hit my first runaway train. Having only tried two of the "harder" (in my opinion) puzzles, I was impressed by the some of the nitty gritty in terms of the mechanical nuances going on. But I also really appreciate how its the kind of game you can logically reason through as opposed to something that's got a dozen different things going on that you have to somehow keep track of. I give a thumbs up thus far. Huzzah! Hand Thumbs Up Right
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2015, 07:56:28 PM »

Ha, your game is on my wishlist before I found it here. For once I would like to see a game being developed before seeing it on the shelves. Then again, it was a pretty short devlog too, started and released this year.

The game looks great! Hope it sells well  Coffee

moomat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2015, 09:28:15 PM »

Congrats on the release Smiley I think it's a really funny premise, and that gameplay looks like a lot of fun.

Check out Junk E.T. at junketgame.com

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2015, 10:03:43 AM »

Bumping this topic, two/three months after release, to mention that The Cat Machine is now in its first Steam sale, for 35% off. Why 35% and not 33%? I have no idea, I don't think I thought that through quite enough. Oh well!

49 out of 49 reviews are positive, which is nice. Well, more than nice. Kinda wish that was '50' though! I hope that'll convince some to buy it.

I have no idea how a Steam Sale will effect sales, or whether the game will even be visible to anyone, so I'm keen to find out. Here's what's really going to interest me, how many wishlisters will make the jump:

We could even play a game; what will those numbers be by the end of the Sale?

mtarini
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2015, 02:33:42 PM »

Thanks for bumping, I would not have discovered this otherwise.

Very captivating visuals, but, as an way-too-late suggestion: to a cat person, the tail poses look totally unnatural and even a bit painful. (secondarily: they wiggle, denoting indecision, nervousness, distress).

Warballs! · spherical fierceness · 1P · free · arena fighter · challenging
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2015, 03:24:47 PM »

Bumping this topic, two/three months after release, to mention that The Cat Machine is now in its first Steam sale, for 35% off. Why 35% and not 33%? I have no idea, I don't think I thought that through quite enough. Oh well!

49 out of 49 reviews are positive, which is nice. Well, more than nice. Kinda wish that was '50' though! I hope that'll convince some to buy it.

I have no idea how a Steam Sale will effect sales, or whether the game will even be visible to anyone, so I'm keen to find out. Here's what's really going to interest me, how many wishlisters will make the jump:

We could even play a game; what will those numbers be by the end of the Sale?

Was posting about this on my twitter today. Glad you've shared.

73% of the sales I've had in this Autumn Sale for Masochisia have been from Wishlist people and (with this sale included) have seen 7.17% of Wishlisters convert into actual sales. Curious what %'s others are seeing and trying to determine what is "normal"

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2015, 09:47:49 AM »

Very interesting, oldblood. The sales not finished yet, so we'll have to wait for Monday/Tuesday to say for sure, but it seems our results vary. The Cat Machine has seen a nice bump (rather than a spike) in sales, but 48% of them are wishlisters, which is much lower than your 73%. And, predictably, the number of total wishlisters is increasing along with the visibility. How exactly are you calculating your 73%?

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic