Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411575 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 08:56:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSkywanderers - Spacy Sandbox game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Skywanderers - Spacy Sandbox game  (Read 2281 times)
tsunamayo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 02, 2016, 07:25:15 PM »

Hello everyone !
I am working on PR material for steam greenlight, so if you have some advice in that regard go ahead ! Smiley

The game is called Skywanderers and is made with Unity.

Build spaceships and wander among the stars !
Play with your friends, use blocks to construct spaceship and space stations, mine asteroids, and travel across a galaxy made of billions of stars.

Features :
# A wide variety of block, with various subsystem : Engine, rails, seats, docking system, teleportation, holomap, and many more...
# New system of smaller bricks and studs : perfect for creating smaller scale creation, like weapons, turrets, control panels, customized cockpit, and anything you can imagine !
# Logic system : link commands to subsystems, use signal duplicator, delay brick, or operations to create complex logical systems. You can link screens to subsystems to view their status.
# A full sized immersive procedural galaxy made of billions of stars. Each star in the sky is real, you can travel to them as you want !
# Real life sized planets and planetary rings. You will travel at relativistic speed in each solar system. Thousand of kilometers and light seconds are the units !
# Immerse yourself in the galaxy holomap, from the full galaxy to star level, then to system and even spaceship level, all in game.

Next big milestone will be planetary landing, and a survival mode (now it is creative only).

NB : some specific questions :
# I dont know if I can write something of the like : Think of it at Minecraft meets Elite !
# Also for the trailer I dont know if it is better to do something with a cinematic feel to it, or juste sample of gameplay. Cinematic trailer seems nicer, but will it is a lot harder to do and maybe less informative at the end.
# Building a website seems a lot harder and time consuming than expected  Epileptic, so I plan to fall back on simply tumblr at this stage of the project. Do you guy think it is fine ?

Thanks !

tsunamayo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 11:05:04 PM »

Hello, please check out the first gameplay video of the game :

If any of you have advice on what to improve for the next one dont hesitate !  Gomez
schollexpos
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 06:32:46 AM »

Looks great so far, really like the implementation of the mechanisms, like the door.
But don't only try to make a giant number of stars and planets, we don't want another "No Man's Sky"  Smiley
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 06:53:54 AM »

I agree - I don't think you need to have an "endless" universe for this game to work well.

To weight in on your other questions, I would definitely lean toward a cinematic trailer, with bits of gameplay included. Also, I don't think you need a website, at least at this stage. Twitter/Tumblr/whatever should be enough. If you really want, you could create a Facebook page for now.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
tsunamayo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 04:37:09 PM »

Hello, thanks for your comment ! Gomez
I think the problem with NMS gazillions of systems is that they dont feel really connected to a real galaxy. I prefer to follow the Elite way, with a real looking galaxy (if you are near the center you see many many stars in the sky for example), some jovian planets, dead moons, and occasionally some great living planets. If you want a special emotion when you find one of these you need to put a lot of bad one into the mix ! Yet gameplay wise all planets might still be usefull to mine resources or harvest gaz.
tsunamayo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 05:03:23 PM »

Hello guys !
I wanted to share some new footage of the exploration side of the game  Gomez :

Arrival at a space station inside planetary rings.
Better quality

Some docking action, and artificial gravity demo  !
Better quality

Finally just a vista on the planetary rings.
Better quality

Please check the full video !

On the technical side of it, since distance are big like in real life (far plane on sky camera is 10^13 for ex - will have to bump that even more) I use log-z depth buffer, for save and networking I use long for positions. Also have to recenter the scene over the player to fight jiggling due to floating point precision...

Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 12:44:15 AM by tsunamayo » Logged
tsunamayo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 12:34:18 AM »

Hello again, please check out a new gameplay video ! Toast Right
Here we go through a bit of brick based building, then build some turret and have fun destroying our ship !

« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 12:43:16 AM by tsunamayo » Logged
tsunamayo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 04:21:54 PM »

Last video on how to make control panels and logical systems. Cheers  Toast Right

plauk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 03:15:43 AM »

This looks pretty amazing. The skybox generation in particular is genius.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic